porker paul

Would This Be Useful?

4 posts in this topic

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-26535398

I can see that in certain circumstances such a product might find favour with both sides of the punting community. In so saying, I am not advocating unsafe sex, but suggesting that, in the event of an "accident" there is a potential remedy. That's all..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-26535398

I can see that in certain circumstances such a product might find favour with both sides of the punting community. In so saying, I am not advocating unsafe sex, but suggesting that, in the event of an "accident" there is a potential remedy. That's all..

It certainly would be good if it replaced PEP drugs as a first-line intervention. Sounds very time-sensitive though, so I'm imagining it might be something they'd give you to keep around just in case. 

Well it is early days for this treatment, but;

"...Drugs applied three hours after infection could protect female monkeys from a type of HIV, US scientists said..."

Could?

Monkeys?

A Type?

Still plenty of issues to tackle then?

Yes, they are "piloting/trialling" this gel in certain parts of Africa where prostitution and unsafe sex is prevalent.  My other half is a pharmacist and has shown me papers of the trials (do not recall where from) and it has had a significant effect on rates of infection however we are talking about 60%-70%, not 99.7% which condoms provide.

It also had the effect of reducing transmission of herpes, HPV and other STD viruses but not by much as it was targeted at HIV.

As far as I am concerned I will still be wearing a condom, but I feel very strongly that the pharmaceutical industry is not working on cures and vaccines of STDs and other diseases as it should because the financial model of managing a disease is so much better than curing and also because there is a focus on other diseases for moral reasons.