Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dorset001

The Best-Laid Plans...

9 posts in this topic

There have been plenty of posts on keeping your punting activities secure - separate phone, separate email account, clearing your history and so on - and being cautious by nature I've followed all the advice.

I recently booked a lady for a meeting at a central London hotel. All the details of the appointment were sorted by text on my way in, and with half an hour to go all I needed to do was call her from my hotel with room details.

At which point I found that my punting phone was suddenly useless - no signal! I went outside, and walked up and down for fifteen minutes trying to get any signal at all, but nothing.

So, should I have gone down the "discretion is the better part of valour" route, or used my usual mobile and thus compromised my security?

Well, what do you think? It took a scary few minutes trying to ensure that all key details were deleted, but as things turned out it was an excellent evening. It just goes to show, though, that even with meticulous planning you can end up in potentially deep water.

FYI the company was EE, and the areas was around London Bridge. Quite how a multinational can have such a large gap in its coverage is beyond me, but there it is.

I take it  your punting phone and personal phone are on different networks?

Unfortunately networks can and do go down.Last time i had a phone problem in central London i used a payphone.

Sorry, should have said that my "main" phone is on a different network - O2 worked fine.

Couldn't you have called her from the hotel room's phone? 

Which everyone could do if indeed we would keep one's information written on a piece of paper.  However the majority would never think of that, rightfully assuming the mobile phone or any other piece of technology will not let you down.

Was it John Lennon who said life is what happens whilst you are making plans?

It is a little known fact that if you have a punting phone it will turn itself on and ring in your coat pocket when you are reading the paper in the privacy of the smallest room.

There is also an app called "Track My Husband's Punting Phone" that......................

It is a little known fact that if you have a punting phone it will turn itself on and ring in your coat pocket when you are reading the paper in the privacy of the smallest room.

There is also an app called "Track My Husband's Punting Phone" that......................

Ha ha, I was thinking to use something similar on an ex sometime ago...... thank God we are not together anymore, saved me time and money.