pollyp23

Xp Support Ending: What To Do?

19 posts in this topic

Microsoft has announced the end of XP support and are 'threatening' me that I will catch all manner of viruses and other diseases.

Should I be worried?

dump it and use Linux mint 16.

Try it on Live disk to see how it performs then install it as a duel boot (it does it all for you) so use Mint for your online stuff and keep XP for your other needs.

Microsoft has announced the end of XP support and are 'threatening' me that I will catch all manner of viruses and other diseases.

Should I be worried?

do nothing. install a good non microsoft anti virus.  if its worked OK for you for the last 10 years its hardly going to blow up tomorrow.

try avg free.

do nothing. install a good non microsoft anti virus.  if its worked OK for you for the last 10 years its hardly going to blow up tomorrow.

try avg free.

That's what I thought! I already have avg. THanks.

It means Microsoft will no longer release security updates for XP.

It's not the end of the world and it doesn't mean you need to run out and buy a Win 7 system tomorrow (forget about Vista it's a horrible OS). You will need to upgrade eventually but in the meantime make sure you have an anti-virus, firewall (the built in XP one isn't great but it's better than nothing), keep everything updated and unless you really need Java or Silverlight get rid of them.

If you use Firefox get the NoScript extension, having scripts blocked by default will help prevent scripts on rogue websites causing grief.

Edited by YourSlave

Rather worryingly all cash machines run on XP and are maintained by G4S...

And then our nuclear launch systems for Trident also run on XP....

Someone really didn't think those through when they decided to move from "application specific OS" to "generic off-the-shelf OS" to save money...

1 person likes this

Support for XP (was it meant to be chi-rho, or was that just a coincidence?) doesn't end until 8 April, so all XP laptops in the cupboard need to be plugged in, switched on and left running to collect all the last patches, updates and whatevers during the next few weeks.

My xp laptop has just stopped letting me right click to download an image off screen, and equally it will no longer download a whole web page. Anyone else met the same?

My old 2ndhand XP machine was a bit dicky and my custom-built (but cheap) brushed alu case Windows 7 one with the Blu-ray drive that didn't work and the unit in it blew up a few weeks ago.

So decided to get first new PC of my life,

Wanted 7 but had to get 8 with upgrade to 8.1.

Not fully sure the upgrade to 8.1 has happened automatically or its waiting for me to do something or was waiting for 8 April but HATE 8. 7 was fine, knew Vista was odd and find 8 simply a barrier to use.

There's progress for you.

Allegedly the start menu will be returning in Windows 8.2.

Agree Windows 8 has a totally unsuable interface if you are on a desktop.

So none of you have heard about zero day attacks?

If I was all of you I would plan to upgrade sooner rather than later, unless you don't connect to internet.

There will be a raft of phishing attacks and the worse thing to hit you are the ransom ware attacks, these will encrypt everything on your PC and connected storage and ask for a sum of money before you are allowed it all back.

If you store a digital life ( photos videos) your gonna be very upset...

So for £100 do something now.

Linux is an option but most of us won't install that I suspect.

Sch.com offer a raft of cheap laptops and desktops for £100+ which come with win vista/7 and it's warranted kit.

Good luck and hope you/family never click on a dodgy link in email/Facebook or otherwise..

Support for XP (was it meant to be chi-rho, or was that just a coincidence?) doesn't end until 8 April, so all XP laptops in the cupboard need to be plugged in, switched on and left running to collect all the last patches, updates and whatevers during the next few weeks.

My xp laptop has just stopped letting me right click to download an image off screen, and equally it will no longer download a whole web page. Anyone else met the same?

Nope,no problems doing that and im using a pretty old machine running xp

Linux mint16 is a good option and free, or you could try your local computer fair and buy a legit Window 7 licence and a copy of the instalation disk for, I think I paid £35 maybe £40, brains gone....the only down side is its men't for one pc only, so if you upgrade the CPU at any time and need to do an install then you may need to make a phone call to tech surport.

But I bought a Windows 98 (I think) disc at an established regular Saturday computer fair and it was a fake in some way - only useable in Spain or something I think.

Does seem better value to buy a basic machine with OS installed.

I would think that going back to the dark ages of phone boxes, cards in newsagents windows etc would be the safe way forward for punting!

But I bought a Windows 98 (I think) disc at an established regular Saturday computer fair and it was a fake in some way - only useable in Spain or something I think.

Does seem better value to buy a basic machine with OS installed.

Did it come with the licence?

Did it come with the licence?

It was quite a few years ago - I think it had a gold sticker with the serial number on but I am not saying I knew enough to know I was making an error.

My point was more that the organisers had people selling what couldn't be used by the buyer and that told me I shouldn't risk buying what I couldn't trust to be authentic from any of the stalls.

It was quite a few years ago - I think it had a gold sticker with the serial number on but I am not saying I knew enough to know I was making an error.

My point was more that the organisers had people selling what couldn't be used by the buyer and that told me I shouldn't risk buying what I couldn't trust to be authentic from any of the stalls.

You need to visit the vendors that are regulars, also that they are system builders and have a stash of legit licences (oem) the disk will be a copy but the licence will be the real hologram sticker that system builders stick on the PC, had four copies now for my builds, never had to return one yet.

Ebuyer amongst others sell new PC's without any OS installed. Buy a copy of Win7 and 20 mins to install it - simple.

DG