Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
YourSlave

Is The Home Office 2004 Report "paying The Price" A Credible Source?

7 posts in this topic

The report claims this:

More than half of women in prostitution have been raped and or seriously assaulted and at least 75% have been physically assaulted at the hands of the pimps and punters.

No - just reading the foreword and looking at the notes re: the picture used to illustrate the cover tells you where they're coming from as far as prejudices. Those stats you mention are genuine statistics but the respondents were street prostitutes or prostitutes who've come to the attention of exit agencies. Essentially it's like me going to a refuge for women who are victims of domestic abuse and the collating statistics on what the average husband is like....or for that matter running a straw poll on here of all the married men, and assembling statistics on infidelity in marriage. It's a self selecting strategy. Other examples are the oft-quoted statistic that 13 or 14 is the typical age for entering prostitution. In fact this statistic was used by Gavin Shuker in the latest APPG report here...

http://appgprostitution.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/shifting-the-burden.pdf

It's generated from interviews with underage prostitutes  i.e all the prostitutes were under 18 on entry, that was the qualification for being interviewed. Yet it now gets quoted as being representative of all prostitution. The chutzpah of these people knows no bounds. 

Fiona MacTaggart claimed frequently in interviews that 80% of prostitutes were pimped. When a radio show asked, ahead of an interview, for her PA to send the source for this they got back a 1982 study on San Francisco street prostitutes; in the same interview FM said that those who campaigned for the opposite viewpoint, against criminalisation, were prejudiced/biased and started with a point of view and then looked for evidence to support that...as I said "chutzpah". Anything from the various "charities", and even from home office studies is generally biased. They're usually commissioned by Christian or Feminist groups and you just get all the usual propoganda.

3 people like this

No - just reading the foreword and looking at the notes re: the picture used to illustrate the cover tells you where they're coming from as far as prejudices. Those stats you mention are genuine statistics but the respondents were street prostitutes or prostitutes who've come to the attention of exit agencies. Essentially it's like me going to a refuge for women who are victims of domestic abuse and the collating statistics on what the average husband is like....or for that matter running a straw poll on here of all the married men, and assembling statistics on infidelity in marriage. It's a self selecting strategy. Other examples are the oft-quoted statistic that 13 or 14 is the typical age for entering prostitution. In fact this statistic was used by Gavin Shuker in the latest APPG report here...

http://appgprostitution.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/shifting-the-burden.pdf

It's generated from interviews with underage prostitutes  i.e all the prostitutes were under 18 on entry, that was the qualification for being interviewed. Yet it now gets quoted as being representative of all prostitution. The chutzpah of these people knows no bounds. 

Fiona MacTaggart claimed frequently in interviews that 80% of prostitutes were pimped. When a radio show asked, ahead of an interview, for her PA to send the source for this they got back a 1982 study on San Francisco street prostitutes; in the same interview FM said that those who campaigned for the opposite viewpoint, against criminalisation, were prejudiced/biased and started with a point of view and then looked for evidence to support that...as I said "chutzpah". Anything from the various "charities", and even from home office studies is generally biased. They're usually commissioned by Christian or Feminist groups and you just get all the usual propoganda.

I may simply be embroidering a good story, but I thought it was even less representative than that. Wasn't the survey that generated that figure a survey of teenage crack-addicted street prostitutes in Chicago?

I may simply be embroidering a good story, but I thought it was even less representative than that. Wasn't the survey that generated that figure a survey of teenage crack-addicted street prostitutes in Chicago?

Well the Fiona Mactaggart one was San Francisco street prostitutes, I can't remember exactly where the underage study came from. I really should start bookmarking all this stuff, it would make it easier. I'll try and find it if I can. 

http://www.hawaii.edu/hivandaids/Labour_Pains__Some_Considerations_on_the_Difficulties_of_Researching_Juvenile_Prostitution.pdf

This appears to be the "Melrose" study that's often used for some horrible statistics. It says very early on that they were only looking at underage prostitutes - either currently or at least underage when they started.

The 75% start underage figure probably has multiple sources but they're all along the lines of this study here

http://myweb.dal.ca/mgoodyea/Documents/Criminology%20and%20legal%20theory/Street%20prostitution.%2010%20facts%20in%20search%20of%20a%20policy%20Benson%201995%20IJSL%2023(4)%20395.pdf

This is UK based, but only on street prostitution.

http://www.hawaii.edu/hivandaids/Labour_Pains__Some_Considerations_on_the_Difficulties_of_Researching_Juvenile_Prostitution.pdf

This appears to be the "Melrose" study that's often used for some horrible statistics. It says very early on that they were only looking at underage prostitutes - either currently or at least underage when they started.

The 75% start underage figure probably has multiple sources but they're all along the lines of this study here

http://myweb.dal.ca/mgoodyea/Documents/Criminology%20and%20legal%20theory/Street%20prostitution.%2010%20facts%20in%20search%20of%20a%20policy%20Benson%201995%20IJSL%2023(4)%20395.pdf

This is UK based, but only on street prostitution.

It's near always Melrose, and the author herself has said she never intended the study to be taken out of context as it is now. 

Well the Fiona Mactaggart one was San Francisco street prostitutes, I can't remember exactly where the underage study came from. I really should start bookmarking all this stuff, it would make it easier. I'll try and find it if I can. 

I remember the programme.  It was conducted by Tim Harford, who is the Undercover Economist for the Saturday Financial TImes.