Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Enmat

How to battle sex worker discrimination, Copenhagen style

13 posts in this topic

Just a fun punting related story I stubmled upon and didn't know where else to post... If it doesn't belong in General, my apologies.

Clever way of sticking it to the uptight politicians, using their anti prositution flyers as prostitution vouchers. :confused:

http://dailycontributor.com/danish-prostitutes-offer-free-services-for-copenhagen-summit-delegates/9289/

Danish Prostitutes to Offer Free Services for Copenhagen Summit Delegates

Prostitution is legal and allowed in Denmark. It's free if you're a delegate to the upcoming Climate Change Summit in Copenhagen from December 7-18, AFP reports.

To counter attack the city government's measure of campaigning to the delegates of the much anticipated world environmental summit that they do not resort to buying sex, the prostitutes of a Danish sex workers union has offered their services for free.

The city government, led by Lord Mayor Ritt Bjerregaard has sent postcards and letters to the managers of the 160 hotels in the city. The postcards indicate: "be sustainable - don't buy sex" and "Dear hotel owner, we would like to urge you not to arrange contacts between hotel guests and prostitutes."

Susan Moeller, spokesperson for the group said that the campaign was discriminating as they are only doing their jobs, which by Danish law are legal.

For those who are interested in taking the offer, which is only available during the duration of the summit, she said, "All delegates who come to Copenhagen for the world climate summit will be able to use the postcards for payment after making a request on our website."

Prostitution was legalized in Denmark in 1999. However, operating brothels and pimping activities are illegal. The age of consent is 15 years old but engaging with prostitutes are allowed only at 18 years, otherwise it becomes a serious offense.

excellent way of protesting at sex worker phobia,wonder if the offer will be taken up?

"be sustainable - don't buy sex"? :confused:

What utter bollocks! What has buying/selling sex got to do with sustainability? As a business that's been in continuous operation for thousands of years with no discernible effect on the environment, it's probably one of the most sustainable activities known to humankind!

"be sustainable - don't buy sex"? :confused:

What utter bollocks! What has buying/selling sex got to do with sustainability? As a business that's been in continuous operation for thousands of years with no discernible effect on the environment, it's probably one of the most sustainable activities known to humankind!

Indeed, sex is probably one of the most climate neutral things you can do. You can even turn off the light and save a few more watts. And latex condoms are biogradeable. So there.

Does Copenhagen have a red light district (girls in shop windows etc) like Amsterdam or is it done differently there?

Indeed, sex is probably one of the most climate neutral things you can do. You can even turn off the light and save a few more watts. And latex condoms are biogradeable. So there.

:confused::D

I read that article and applauded loudly. :)

Does Copenhagen have a red light district (girls in shop windows etc) like Amsterdam or is it done differently there?
Not really. The legal situation is pretty close to the UK. So the scene looks about the same. Mostly indies and agencies working out of sight, and a handful of scattered parlour type places. Some street work too, but not much.

"Jorgen Angel, a rock photographer who is said to have suggested the 'Gropenhagen' idea to a UK shirt-maker, was quoted in the media as saying, ''I found the Lady Mayor of Copenhagen's postcard very silly... I mean, no fossil fuel is used during 'the act,' as far as I know, and there isn't much CO2 emission, is there?''

Depends what you get up to I suppose. :o

Would any of the girls appreciate receiving a postcard from Gordon Brown?

“be sustainable – don’t buy sex”? :o

If it was removed from the scene maybe that would cut down the hot air talked about the subject by it's grim faced opponents.

There again, it's possible they would then aim their bile at some other poor devils and so defeat any 'gain'.:D

All these lefty politicians should realise that prostitution is an excellent way of redistributing wealth

from rich to poor

from 1st world to 3rd world

from men to women

from old to young

Would any of the girls appreciate receiving a postcard from Gordon Brown?

I'd definitely sort him out. Some people you just look at and think 'A bloody good session would do you the world of good'