Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
scubadiver007

Channel 4 News

26 posts in this topic

I saw this yesterday and I was thinking: 'we need more people like the American lady here'.  She surely talked very fast and very convincing, not the usual polite and 'I do not want to upset somebody' approach.

Melissa was excellent, then she is a journalist and knows the tricks. She didn't let Mary Honeyball get away with her lies, and managed to interrupt her sufficiently at the end to stop Mary's last lie from being heard.

Yuk channel four news cant stand John Snow, communist

Ha ha, yes, he is a bit strange but C4 news is probably the best around, just like Al Jazeera.  Not the one sided stories you find on BBC or Sky News.

Maybe he is.. but at least he not singing from the same hymn sheet as other newscasters do!

Channel 4 News is the only news outlet in the UK which even gets close to demonstrating news reporting & investigative journalism worthy of such description...however for those who prefer anodyne, sterile & forlock-tugging reporting, there is of course a whole host of alternatives

2 people like this

So true, also I am amazed that most of the people make fun of Channel 5, yet they are saving the period around Xmas, Easter or Bank Holidays with lots of great movies other channels seem to put on for the n-th time.

Channel 4 News is the only news outlet in the UK which even gets close to demonstrating news reporting & investigative journalism worthy of such description...however for those who prefer anodyne, sterile & forlock-tugging reporting, there is of course a whole host of alternatives

For some reason my dad prefers to watch the national BBC news and I have no idea why. It is incredibly bland, dull and isn't even "news".

Having said that I do watch South Today.

I wonder how many more decades will have to pay the Licence until BBC will be forced to scrap it and become self sufficient just like the other channels.

I wonder how many more decades we will have to pay for the Royal Family until we scrap it and they become self sufficient just like other people?

Both institutions are in reality an important part of British culture. The BBC should IMHO be funded out of general taxation.

I wonder how many more decades will have to pay the Licence until BBC will be forced to scrap it and become self sufficient just like the other channels.

i think the writing is on the wall.  they have not shown themselves in glory and the idea that the licence fee should be a civil debt will undermine it more. 

The bbc should be turned into a giant Asda superstore, it's worthless and a piece of crap. Anyone who wants it pays for it and leave the rest us alone who wouldnt watch it if we threatened with major waterboarding.

Major water boarding Heather? I'm up for that or have I misunderstood?

You don't 'have' to pay it.    Get a subscription to a good movie website, watch 4OD ,  iplayer if you must,  or channels like documantaryheaven.com or topdocumentaryfilms.com.

I gave up scheduling  my life around what time a programme is to be shown on TV years ago and prior to the internet / on-line stuff would watch far more stuff from video than I ever watched live.

Surely live TV  belongs to the days before the internet or before means of recording programmes was widely available to the public.

I'm sure the BBC will eventually be robbed ? of their licence fee but as my father once said in the 1930's / 40's it was a status symbol to say you paid a TV licence fee (to watch the one and only channel available)   How many channels have we now got available via satellite of even on the web ?   5000 ? 10000 ?   The licence fee is an anachronism.

I'm sure the BBC will eventually be robbed ? of their licence fee but as my father once said in the 1930's / 40's it was a status symbol to say you paid a TV licence fee (to watch the one and only channel available) How many channels have we now got available via satellite of even on the web ? 5000 ? 10000 ? The licence fee is an anachronism.

I prefer quality over quantity, or as Bruce Springsteen once sang about American TV, "53 channels and nothin' on"

You don't 'have' to pay it.    Get a subscription to a good movie website, watch 4OD ,  iplayer if you must,  or channels like documantaryheaven.com or topdocumentaryfilms.com.

I gave up scheduling  my life around what time a programme is to be shown on TV years ago and prior to the internet / on-line stuff would watch far more stuff from video than I ever watched live.

Surely live TV  belongs to the days before the internet or before means of recording programmes was widely available to the public.

I wish it was that easy, but I cannot sit in front of the PC to watch everything available online.  I will have to look into PC-TV connections.

I wish it was that easy, but I cannot sit in front of the PC to watch everything available online.  I will have to look into PC-TV connections.

I imagine Maplin will have a ready made cable in a box for a few quid.

What is wrong with the left? Whilst I would rather be hit by a truck than vote conservative, I'd probably refrain from judging someone on the basis of "Tory, yuck" if for no other reason than I'd look rather closed-minded and ignorant if I did write that.

1 person likes this

I imagine Maplin will have a ready made cable in a box for a few quid.

There is an Apple cable under £10 for ipad-TV connection but does not work with LoveFilm for example and most recently even BBC iplayer or Channel 4 do not work, no idea why.  HDMI cables again have their own problems.  Buying an Apple TV box has limited applicability.  I hope somebody invents something that really works with everything for everything.

There is an Apple cable under £10 for ipad-TV connection but does not work with LoveFilm for example and most recently even BBC iplayer or Channel 4 do not work, no idea why.  HDMI cables again have their own problems.  Buying an Apple TV box has limited applicability.  I hope somebody invents something that really works with everything for everything.

New Amazon Fire looks promising; Raspberry Pi is good (and cheap), but you have to be quite geeky to set it up.

New Amazon Fire looks promising; Raspberry Pi is good (and cheap), but you have to be quite geeky to set it up.

People keep saying that I am a geek.......... most surely I will look into this stuff, if is cheap.

People keep saying that I am a geek.......... most surely I will look into this stuff, if is cheap.

In terms of catchup TV, the new TalkTalk Youview boxes are brilliant. They have the catchup services of all the major channels included and it seems to work fine. I have struggled for ages for a handy way to connect a tablet/laptop/desktop to my PC. Now I hardly bother. What with the Youview box and Netflix (via my Apple TV), I am pretty much sorted. Live broadcast TV is pretty much a thing of the past for me.