lancelot

Hotel Advice Please.

30 posts in this topic

I am going to book a hotel for a 3 hour stint.

Never done it before - should I go in and pay cash and

use a false name? I could book by card over the

net but worry about having to give my real details etc.

Also - do I book for 1 or 2?

Be aware that some hotels will not accept cash with no ID.

I believe Travelodge require some form of ID, either credit card or passport.

"I could book by card over the

net but worry about having to give my real details etc."

^^Indeed, if you did book by card they would need your genuine name etc. for verification. Otherwise the transaction will not go through, AFAIK.

I don't mind giving my real details -I just don't want anything coming to my address.

I don't mind giving my real details -I just don't want anything coming to my address.

Ah, I see. I think Premier Inn, for example, allow you to opt out from receiving any future postal advertising. Ditto email marketing etc.

You really need to check with the hotel concerned, I imagine they all have different policies.

You should be able to give your credit card details to secure the room but pay in cash when you arrive, that way nothing will appear on you credit card statement.

I have used Travelodge a few times and they don't send any marketing literature through the post.

Ring up and reserve a double for 2. Tell em u dont have cc to hand. When u turn up pay cash and show some ID. Dont forget to discard the receipt after the dirty deed.

I always book over the internet or by phone with my real name and address. If they have your email address they may contact you by email but none of them do so by post, in my experience, and if they do you can just say it is yet more junk mail. Book for 2 assuming it doesn't affect the rate but make sure you don't take the bill home if you're married. Ideally you have an alibi that covers being in that area on the night in question.

I've stayed in a lot of hotels and never once had anything sent to me by post. A few send emails though, but I'm sure you can opt out of this.

I've stayed in a lot of hotels and never once had anything sent to me by post. A few send emails though, but I'm sure you can opt out of this.

Yep, I'm with Laura here. I stay away on business in all sorts of hotels several times a month and have done for years. Never had anything sent home. On the few occasions I have booked a hotel for punting, I have reserved it using my real name, address and a credit card number, but paid in cash as I checked out. Never had any trouble.

Good luck.

I am going to book a hotel for a 3 hour stint.

Never done it before - should I go in and pay cash and

use a false name? I could book by card over the

net but worry about having to give my real details etc.

Also - do I book for 1 or 2?

If you use www.laterooms.com they definately have never sent me anything through the post but i did have to pay by card, they give me a reference number which is what i quote at the hotel, i dont recall ever being asked for I.D. but always have it with me anyway on these ocassions. I always ask for a double room for 2.

I have received some fantastic offers from Late Rooms and highly recommend them.

I,too, use laterooms. You can unsubscribe from their marketing emails but, after your stay, you will get an email asking for a review of the hotel.

I normally check the website of the hotel that I have chosen on laterooms. Very occasionally the hotel website is cheaper.

Best thing about the laterooms site is it gives you a simple, easy to read list with availability and price either side of your chosen date.

Nah, stayed in a Travelodge (Kings Cross) last night and they didn't even ask me to swipe a credit card when I booked in. :confused:

I,too, use laterooms. You can unsubscribe from their marketing emails but, after your stay, you will get an email asking for a review of the hotel.

I normally check the website of the hotel that I have chosen on laterooms. Very occasionally the hotel website is cheaper.

Best thing about the laterooms site is it gives you a simple, easy to read list with availability and price either side of your chosen date.

I have asked them not to send email confirmation but text only and never had an email asking for a review but i was adamant about this, so perhaps they opted me out of this as well.

I certainly agree with checking the hotels site first, on one ocassion out of numerous they were cheaper by £1.:confused:

About 4 years ago I was refused a room at Premier Travel Inn because I turned up with cash and didn't have a credit card nor photo ID on me. Not sure if the same policy applies currently.

When I wanted to pay cash at a Premier Inn last year they wanted ID - this was quite an involved process, they wanted to take photocopies, so a long time spent standing at the counter :confused:

Another occasion I booked for 2 and they insisted on a name for the other occupant, so I now have a business bill with Mrs *** on it. Or rather, my shredder has (oops, must have lost that one).

Thanks - I will go to the premier inn with my passport and pay cash.

Can't risk paying by card as might be seen on my online statement (can't imagine why but you never know).

I've never received post from the many hotels I've stayed in in the Uk. However, I stayed in a beautiful boutique hotel in Mallorca about 5 years ago and they still send me a Christmas Card and a Birthday card!

If you book over the net with a card and change your first name, the name of the road but not the house number, the town and the last two letters of the postcode, it wil likely accept the payment with this false address :confused:

Nah, stayed in a Travelodge (Kings Cross) last night and they didn't even ask me to swipe a credit card when I booked in. :confused:
About 4 years ago I was refused a room at Premier Travel Inn because I turned up with cash and didn't have a credit card nor photo ID on me. Not sure if the same policy applies currently.

One night I picked up a young couple outside a Travelodge, they told me they were refused a room because they only had cash with no form of ID, I assume this is in case you trash the room, can't think of any other reason.

One night I picked up a young couple outside a Travelodge, they told me they were refused a room because they only had cash with no form of ID, I assume this is in case you trash the room, can't think of any other reason.

AH maybe I should have added that I did pay for the room upfront online.

Thanks - I will go to the premier inn with my passport and pay cash.

Can't risk paying by card as might be seen on my online statement (can't imagine why but you never know).

Serious question.

How would your wife get access to your online statement. ??????????????

AH maybe I should have added that I did pay for the room upfront online.

Jesus, give me strength. :confused::D:D

Serious question.

How would your wife get access to your online statement. ??????????????

Do you expect me to give a serious answer to that question?

Jesus, give me strength. :confused::D:D

Aye but many times in the past I have paid for hotels up front online and have still been asked for a swipe of my card during checkin - which was my original point. :)