JKay

How Does Usb Broadband Dongles Work?

4 posts in this topic

Does each dongle use individual addresses? say I had a number of Three mobile dongles, would each share the same IP address if used from the same location?

Each dongle would have to have its own discrete IP address on the mobile network.

It is possible, however, that the network might use address translation (as AOL and NTL do) which means that multiple users would show the same IP address to the outside world.

The easiest way to find out is to connect to the 'net, then go to http://www.whatismyip.com which will show you your public IP.

They are extremely handy little things, if a bit infuriating sometimes. They dont have a forever lifespan even if you look after them though so probably best to buy two and have the spare on in your laptop case incase you are unable to dash to a shop for a new one and the original stops working at an important time. Mine all lasted about 3/4 months which is why i never bought the ones with a years worth of top up on them. I certainly wouldnt get on on contract if they are still available that way. I found in the MK area that o2 was the best. Different networks work better in different areas as with the phones. If you do need to replace it then you have to uninstall the previous one from your laptop before the new one will work usually even if its on the same network as it has a different number attached. You just top up with a phone credit voucher. If you are on mac there can be issues with some network dongles.

Edited by Chloe Kisses

Contracts are ok,just make sure to read the fine print as its the excess they shaft you with.O2 tried to saddle a family member of mine with a 15p a mb excess charge.Standard at the time was 1.5p.If you wait there are some decent ones to be had.3 at one stage were doing 15gig for £15.
The biggest downside is due to excessive usage nowdays you may find it hard if impossible to use at peak times.After much complaining i found out this was due to the providers flogging way too many data contracts without improving and expanding the existing networks.
Know its not quite the question asked but the last part i figured was important for anyone getting one to know

1 person likes this