Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
starman

Should Paying For A Cup Of Tea Be Made Illegal?

6 posts in this topic

A satirical article from a Swedish Professor in political science, Bo Rothstein:

Professor: "Ban people from giving to beggars"

Rothstein compares such a ban to the law against buying sex, which punishes people who use another human being's vulnerable social situation.

"You can see the person giving handouts to street beggars in the same way, in other words a person contributing to another human being's

social subordination and humiliation in order to satisfy some kind of need to feel righteous," Rothstein writes.

http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=2054&artikel=5744290

Professor Bo Rothstein thinks giving money to beggars should be banned

"Giving money to beggars is to humiliate them"

http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=2054&artikel=5756285

I see your point. Try applying the logic of the swedish model to other jobs which carry a risk of trafficking/violence and you can see how absurd it really is.

Buying from a discount clothes store should also be illegal because of the forced labour taking place in countries like Bangladesh.

Taxi driving is a job which carries a high risk of assault/robbery. Would the solution be to look at ways to make taxi driving safer? Or should we make it illegal to pay for a fare? Under this law taxi drivers wouldn't be committing a crime just for taking fares, but they would risk having their taxi, home and kids taken off them (which supporters of the law don't seem to have any problem with). Giving advice to taxi drivers on how to stay safe from potential violent clients would be banned as giving advice would be "facilitating a violent crime". When discussing proposals for the law taxi drivers and their passengers would be excluded from the consultation as they would have a "vested interest". The decision to implement criminalizing paying for a fare would be made by people with zero knowledge of the taxi industry other than something they read online.

3 people like this

What if the passenger paid the taxi-driver with a BJ?

What if the passenger paid the taxi-driver with a BJ?

Reminds me of an old Les Patterson joke about a girl who got into a cab starkers. When the cabbie asks what she's going to pay him with, she points at her fanny. "Strewth, sheila, ain't you got nothing smaller than that!"

I creased up at that one which I hadn't heard before.

UP