Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Coventrypunter

Testosterone

11 posts in this topic

The subject of blokes in their 40's and 50's losing their urges on other threads.

One cause of this is lack of testosterone. or its proper name Hypogonadism

Apart from the lack of sex drive this can cause loss of energy, strength, tiredness etc.

the prognosis for the patient is also not good, studies have shown that low testosterone causes an earlier death.

One cause of this can be high stress levels but there are other causes.

probably best to google it

but if you think you have this then its a simple non-fasting blood test by your GP.  and replacement therapy is simple too.

This can also affect females.

So if you think this fits your symptoms, then get it checked.

It's quite normal for testosterone levels to drop with age (about 1% per annum at 30 plus) as we pass fertility rights to the younger of the species whereas Hypergonadism is a disease that can effect all age groups. Loss of muscle tone, bone density etc  to the increase in belly proportions are some of the other gifts of depletion and replacement therapy can not only increase risk of heart attack but also help the increase the size of your benign prostate or increase the growth of a cancerous one. So replacement therapy should be approached with caution and only after necessity is proven.

A far as libido is concerned big tits and a cute arse still remain the cutting edge medical standard test.

2 people like this

It's quite normal for testosterone levels to drop with age (about 1% per annum at 30 plus) as we pass fertility rights to the younger of the species whereas Hypergonadism is a disease that can effect all age groups. Loss of muscle tone, bone density etc  to the increase in belly proportions are some of the other gifts of depletion and replacement therapy can not only increase risk of heart attack but also help the increase the size of your benign prostate or increase the growth of a cancerous one. So replacement therapy should be approached with caution and only after necessity is proven.

A far as libido is concerned big tits and a cute arse still remain the cutting edge medical standard test.

of course only under the guidance of your GP.  I would not recommend getting testosterone off the internet.  Your GP should discuss the pros and cons of treatment.

My concern is that some are using this to counteract natural, normal reduction in hormone levels. Beer(alcohol), fags and poor diet are also thought to reduce testosterone in the body.

Also be aware athletes in 'tested' sports cannot usually have hormone replacement therapy without falling foul of certain rules. Probably not a concern of most here, but might be worth knowing for some.

Edited by Strawberry

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31869054

come on blokes over 45.  ask your GP for a test.

its a non fasting blood test. 

I've had this test along with others, but not specifically relating to performance issues.

Apparently my levels are normal but I presume that means for my age.  :unsure:

Luckily I fall somewhere inbetween the two pictures in the article.

Edited by robert49

All,

The problem with recommending that a man goes to see his doctor and asks to be checked out for Low-Testosterone is:

(a) the 'normal' band for Testosterone for adult males is very broad indeed.

(B) the doctor is _very_ unlikely to have taken a reading of your Testosterone levels when you were functioning 'properly'.

This tends to result in the doctos saying, "Well, your Testosterone is in the normal range". When it is quite likely that your Testosternone levels have dropped over time and you are now experiencing 'diffciulties' with either (a) low libido (B) erectile dysfunction, or © both.

A more helpful form of diagnosis might be to ask yourself if you have noticed:

(a) that your libido or mood or energy levels are low?

(B) a lack of nocturnal erections?

© a lack of erections on wakening?

(d) a reduction in spontaneous erections during the day?

(e) problems achieving or maintaining erections?

It is also important to understand the relationship between 'belly fat' and estrogen levels - and the impact that raised estrogen levels have on Testosterone. Basically, ask yourself, "have I put on weight?" "Have I put on weight around the middle?" As, if you were to loose just some of the weight around your middle you would lower your estrogen level - and so boost your Testosterone level, too.

Also, understand the linkage between Cholesterol levels and Erectile Dysfunction. Lowering Cholesterol will not only make you less prone to CHD over the longer term, but will also make your blood thinner - and potentially make it easier for you to achieve and maintain an erection.

Lastly, think about your level of sexual activity. If it is low - and you are not having noctural erections or erections on awakening - then there is a danger that the erectile tissue will degrade over time. It is important as if this is the case you must counter this decline before it is too late.

An often overlooked fact is that actually having an erection results in a temporary rise in Testosterone level. And a rise in Testosterone results in a general rise in Libido. And a rise in Libido makes it more likely that you will have a spontaneous erection - which in turn produced more Testosterone etc etc. So, what I am saying is that erections are good and create their own virtuous circle - of higher Testosterone, more erections, healthy erectile tissue and ultimately preserves your sexual function over time. Just remember the number of spontaneous erections you had when you were 18!

So, what to do now:

1. Loose weight - especially around your middle.

2. Lower your Cholesterol - either through diet, exercise and/or Statins.

3. Exercise will raise your Testosterone levels naturally. Vigourous exercise will do this most effectively, but even going for a 20min walk every day will make a pronounced difference.

4. Try to have erections! Aim to have at least 3 x 20 min erections every day. Fantasise while: sitting on the train, watching TV, sitting in the bath. This sounds mad - but it is anything but. Doctors orders!

5. Do your kegel exercises. Even if you don't believe that it will help your sexual function - over the longer term it will make you less prone to urinary incontinence!

Oh yes!, and remember to cheer up! If you do those 5 things every day you will be on an 'upward' path, while your contemporaries will be on a 'drooping' trajectory!!

P.

It's good advice Pickle.

It's a shame though that so many things we enjoy in life come with a penalty.

So long as no one finds that too much sex in later life if bad health wise.

Robert.

Not enough sex is bad for you.

Ah, and while this topic is still active I should really have mentioned ...

.... Vitamin D !

If you have noticed that your mood (... and libido) drops in the winter months then you may be boderline on Vitamin D deficiency.

Vitamin D is necessary in the male body for, among other things, the production of Testosterone.

So, especially if you live in 'the North' and don't get out much in daytime during the winter months then it is recommended that you either (a) take a winter sunshine break, or (B) take some Vitamin D supplements (which are relatively inexpensive as supplements go).

So, I guess that makes six basic, practical things that you can do to improve your lot.

P.