Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sexymaylondon

WG tricks to make punting easier

34 posts in this topic

...not slipping rohypnol into a client's drink, no.

I was just wondering what works for some girls keeping track of clients, appointments and potential appointments. I've got a famously crap phone, that sometimes doesn't display caller names even if the number stored in the address book, sorts my text messages in a completely random, non-date order and can't do anything beyond the basics...and it is ruining my punting life. Been told to get myself a new one for Christmas -

Blackberry or iPhone? And, which one is less likely to confuse me completely?

As me and my WG personal chums all do, we have to spend a helluva time online - and sometimes, sitting in the flat very dull so on a sunny day I'd drag my laptop somewhere nice outside. One client gifted me a roamer USB thing. A few clients spotted that my laptop weighs a ton, so...suggestions I've had so far:

One of those small tablet laptops,

One of those really small laptops built just for cruising the internet. But I'd feel stupid paying the monthly subscription for connection, as I already have a roamer paid-up (thanks D).

Sorting mail: Gmail has helped me a lot. Before, I'd have to conduct an email conversation...spread out over lots of pages of other people's emails.

Diaries: Still trying to cultivate this habit. As soon as a email asks for a firm date, or to just pencil something in, PUT IT IN THE BOOK immediately. Or I forget, and as happened once, getting a phone call saying he's arrived, where are you. Never good when you're still at home reading the paper. Fortunately, a local incall bar to meet. Whoops.

Availability: Before my Crimbo hols this year, I am going to ask someone to teach me how to do one of those automatically generated messages to tell the person I'm away.

I toyed with the idea of setting up a weekly calendar on my site, grid style, with the slots I'm available to be booked in it, plus red bits where I'm most definitely unavailable.

Listing phone number: I don't do this, purely because I get enough horny spam in my inbox as it is, without having to get it aurally too. Aware that this doesn't make it easier for spur of the moment clients, but that's one of the reasons I am indie - not having to drop everything, hurl self in shower, and arrive at a hotel in half an hour.

Newsletters and mass updates: I know some girls do something like a monthly newsletter as a marketing thing, just to keep your clients remembering you and to tell them about new pics, offers you might have and forthcoming tours or holidays.

I can see the point, but I do remember one girl who sent off her newsletter without BCC-ing the addressees...so all her clients could see all her other clients.

Tacky or useful? And guys, do you really want your one-off puntee emailing you every week/month ever after?

May I found a mailing list very very effective especially when on tour. I wouldn't just email my clients though, they had to sign up for the list in the first place. How does the saying go? 'If you don't know, you won't go'.....

Newsletters and mass updates: I know some girls do something like a monthly newsletter as a marketing thing, just to keep your clients remembering you and to tell them about new pics, offers you might have and forthcoming tours or holidays.

I can see the point, but I do remember one girl who sent off her newsletter without BCC-ing the addressees...so all her clients could see all her other clients.

Tacky or useful? And guys, do you really want your one-off puntee emailing you every week/month ever after?

There is a real value in regular marketing to old clients--they are never ex-clients unless they contact you to request to be un-subscibed. They are existing customers who at the momnt are not using your service, but will, at some point in the future, do so if you make the appearance of the service attractive enough for them. Even after years, they are still potential returners, so do not discount them. Contact them regularly with information, offers, details of tours, your blog and photos--in fact, anything that gets your name and face in front of them. An e-mailing list is a valuable commodity. Don't waste it.

But, never, never allow one client to see another's e-mail addresss. It is the most heinous crime you can commit in the area of e-mailing.

May I found a mailing list very very effective especially when on tour. I wouldn't just email my clients though, they had to sign up for the list in the first place. How does the saying go? 'If you don't know, you won't go'.....

Thanks Well, this is what set this train of thought going...at the moment, I've got a lot of personal clients that I must respond to individually. Some I see every few months, some about once a month....record, about a two year gap. Am I still working, am I alive, what am I up to and am I going anywhere near "X" town shortly.

Thing is, no matter how often you update your site, and most not PNet guys, they don't know otherwise. It's just been a bit annoying too that a chap I've known years, very seldom in London, had my old phone number and we weren't able to meet. Chap from pre-website time...only having my website since November last as AWanking for ages.

"Signing up for the list"? How do you introduce the idea to them?

Both!! You... will not be able to work either, I think. One of the nokia ones, they flip out kind of like mine. Very simple to use. Go into a phone shop, have a play around.

One of those really small laptops built just for cruising the internet. But I'd feel stupid paying the monthly subscription for connection, as I already have a roamer paid-up (thanks D).

Do you have a little usb thing? If so then you just plug it into the laptop. Lots of pubs have wireless and lots of people have unsecured wireless for when you're out and about.

Diaries: Still trying to cultivate this habit. As soon as a email asks for a firm date, or to just pencil something in, PUT IT IN THE BOOK immediately. Or I forget, and as happened once, getting a phone call saying he's arrived, where are you. Never good when you're still at home reading the paper. Fortunately, a local incall bar to meet. Whoops.

Hm, I tried a diary. It was never to hand and I'd always forget to write it down. I'm bad at saving numbers in my phone with the details too. Must always call to confirm in morning, not just to make sure they are coming but so I actually remember!

Listing phone number: I don't do this, purely because I get enough horny spam in my inbox as it is, without having to get it aurally too. Aware that this doesn't make it easier for spur of the moment clients, but that's one of the reasons I am indie - not having to drop everything, hurl self in shower, and arrive at a hotel in half an hour.

Me... ready and at a hotel at half an hours notice, I'd love to see it. Hm

Call to confirm essential.

Oi, you think I can't work B'berries and iPhones wifelet bitch! But, just making life easier for all of us...I think, sat down with a user manual for the Blackberry me for a bit - positive notices recieved on that one - worthwhile.

Not a last minute lady, but crikey, it is difficult to manage. For what we charge, given that service tip standard 12.5% in the UK...just knowing what's up, accessible, and to keep updated our chaps and clued in.

Buggers me.

Either will do, the iPhone is more intuitive however although the Blackberry battery life is far superior. Would that be a factor for you?

Diaries: Still trying to cultivate this habit.

Why bother with an external diary? If you're going to be getting a Blackberry or iPhone then you'll probably be pleased to know that both are able to sync with Google Calendar - bet you haven't used that yet? :cool: Configured correctly, your phone will always have your schedule and you'll only ever have to enter/amend things once - either on your phone or on the calendar itself, minimising the risk of error that maintaining two copies can bring.

Availability: Before my Crimbo hols this year, I am going to ask someone to teach me how to do one of those automatically generated messages to tell the person I'm away.

Email? Assuming Google mail: Settings > General Tab > Vacation Responder

Buns, you kick bum.

As L.Laura correctly intuited, I am based C.18th.

But, just things to make things run more smoothly...really no need to get an "are you free in two hours" email from me response, just to set 'tings to autopilot when I'm out of London. Worse variant forthcoming - Dad's country, no hotmail allowed, so proxy server balls. And I'm unlikely to ask Daddy's IT bloke to pull up AWank and my site mail.

really no need to get an "are you free in two hours" email from me response, just to set 'tings to autopilot when I'm out of London.

The Vacation Responder thing should be fine then. Just keep your message brief - state your unavailable period and that you'll respond on your return.

Short and sweet, at least the client will know where he stands.

I was just wondering what works for some girls keeping track of clients, appointments and potential appointments. I've got a famously crap phone, that sometimes doesn't display caller names even if the number stored in the address book, sorts my text messages in a completely random, non-date order and can't do anything beyond the basics...and it is ruining my punting life. Been told to get myself a new one for Christmas -

For a dozen, or so appointments a month I find memory and a paper diary does the trick, plus a few bits of paper with scribble on. I do have 2 phones though - one advertised number, the other 'Upgraded', which I give out to clients I'd like to see again.

Ah, the scope for business expansion. :cool:

*giggles quietly*

I'd go for a netbook, which is small enough to take anywhere.

And use it (or your laptop) to keep the diary....just get the 'reminder' thing working and you can be surfing away when a window will pop up to say that you should be elsewhere in an hour or two. But I'd have a paper one as well....it might avoid double bookings, allows at-a-glance checks etc. (See technophobe comment about phones and their disappearance.)

Phone? A reliable simple one should be fine. I hate the idea of these wonderphones with most of one's life therein/on....they're too easy to break/lose/have nicked.

Mailing list? It'd put me off, unless I'd asked to be kept informed of her touring into my area.

Auto-response to email? Yes, set it up. It RPMO when I don't get any reply from someone for a week or two, and then an apology (maybe).

It's all a balance between the charmingly unpredictable and the irritatingly erratic, innit? :cool:

Sorry wifey :cool: I prefer the iphone, if you can deal without a keyboard.

PHONES

i cant comment on the blackbery but ii have a nokia n95 which is brill for keeping numbers texting ect

all i do is put in john 11am and the date ect and it memory system is very good plus nokia are fool proof in that they way they work is all the same

its has a memo system so you can write notes to yourself and get a reminder for each appointment at the time/date you want you want

you can store thousands of number in it as well

and the battery life is good also the nokia 6300 is good phone as well have

iphone as personal phone would not use it as work phone as its to sensitive /and text messaging is a pain on it

DIARYS

i also keep a diary with everthing in it as well as back up in case i lose my phone

i buy a new diary every year a big page a day diary and keep it with me that way i dont forget anything

i send each client a text as soon as i get off the phone with details and requesting that they call /text me by certain time on the day of appointment

this is good as i have a reminder of my bookings ect in my text message

i also keep lots of pre done text in my phone so that i can respond quickly

LAPTOPS

my laptop is the samsumg notebook very good as its lightweight has built in webcam and very easy to use good battery life as well i use the google calender for appointments as each time i log in i get a reminder as well of what i have for the day

i use a 3 dongle stick for when im touring as its cheaper than using hotels

wi fi and also its cheap for when im in ireland touring

NEWSLETTERS MAILS GROUPS

i use yahoo groups for letting people know what i am up to if im availbe change of number ect as well they have to join up so its not random emails that they are getting

Excellent advice, many thanks BEE, looking into new model laptop xx

God. In the old days we'd just try to avoid Jack the Ripper in whitechapel! Technology....

DIARYS

i also keep a diary with everthing in it as well as back up in case i lose my phone

i buy a new diary every year a big page a day diary and keep it with me that way i dont forget anything

Another benefit with syncing (over the air, as in you don't have to manually sync it yourself) your phone with a centralised calendar/contacts service e.g. Googlemail / Exchange is that if you lose your phone, you don't lose your data. Let's face it, the data (schedule, contacts, emails) is far more important and valuable than the phone itself. Assuming you lose the phone, you have to just get a replacement either buying a new one or via insurance and re-sync it. It'll be as if nothing had ever happened.

Carrying a physical diary around is fine and is something I used to do but I found that as meetings/appointments/birthdays kept moving around, the risk of error was getting silly. Thankfully I'm pretty organised and didn't mess up but the amount of time I spent ensuring that Phone == Diary was freed up once I had the sync facility.

I'd go for the iPhone May. Just brill and the touchscreen keyboard is soooo easy to use even with my chubby digits.

Thanks Well, this is what set this train of thought going...at the moment, I've got a lot of personal clients that I must respond to individually. Some I see every few months, some about once a month....record, about a two year gap. Am I still working, am I alive, what am I up to and am I going anywhere near "X" town shortly.

Thing is, no matter how often you update your site, and most not PNet guys, they don't know otherwise. It's just been a bit annoying too that a chap I've known years, very seldom in London, had my old phone number and we weren't able to meet. Chap from pre-website time...only having my website since November last as AWanking for ages.

"Signing up for the list"? How do you introduce the idea to them?

I put it onto my website and also placed an advert through my Yahoo groups. Basically anyone that signed up for the mailing list would get a monthly email telling them everything that was going on including parties, girls touring in my area offering duo work and all my tour dates etc. They only had to email if they wanted to be taken off the list. I found it easier to set up a seperate email addy and guys on my mailing list also got a small reduction.

I also have a number of clients that want text prompting too. In other words if I'm in their area on tour they want a quick text to remind them, but again this is only when requested. There is nothing worse than sending unsolicited emails and texts to clients.

the samsung one that i have is brill ok you dont have a cd drive but you can buy a protable one for about 40 if you really need to but i paid 289 for it from pc world a few months ago

it has built in webcam which is good its very light portable and easy to use and def worth a look at especially if you want something lightweigh and easy to travel with battery life is good as well around 8 -9 hours

and it looks nice as well and you can get it in pink lol

Excellent advice, many thanks BEE, looking into new model laptop xx

God. In the old days we'd just try to avoid Jack the Ripper in whitechapel! Technology....

There is a real value in regular marketing to old clients--they are never ex-clients unless they contact you to request to be un-subscibed. They are existing customers who at the momnt are not using your service, but will, at some point in the future, do so if you make the appearance of the service attractive enough for them. Even after years, they are still potential returners, so do not discount them. Contact them regularly with information, offers, details of tours, your blog and photos--in fact, anything that gets your name and face in front of them. An e-mailing list is a valuable commodity. Don't waste it.

But, never, never allow one client to see another's e-mail addresss. It is the most heinous crime you can commit in the area of e-mailing.

I, for one, would NOT want that kind of contact after one or two visits.

.........and as for subscribing, mentioned on this thread.:)

Another no no for sure.

I'll buy an experience when I want that experience. I don't want to buy into the bloody business or feel as though I am part of some damned sales and merketing drive.

This thread comes over as salesperson's forum.

Do all you girls wear loud pin-striped basques with red braces?:cool:

[quote name='bunzywunzy;388484

Why bother with an external diary? If you're going to be getting a Blackberry or iPhone then you'll probably be pleased to know that both are able to sync with

Google Calendar bet you haven't used that yet? :cool: Configured correctly' date=' your phone will always have your schedule and you'll only ever have to enter/amend things once - either on your phone or on the calendar itself, minimising the risk of error that maintaining two copies can bring.

Email? Assuming Google mail: Settings > General Tab > Vacation Responder[/quote']

This is a really useful thread, especially for those of us who are intimidated by so much of todays technology ! Regarding the Google Calendar, are there any Nokia phones that can be used with it it ? I like Nokia as I can text no problem and ,as was mentioned earlier, they all operate more or less the same .Thanks .

As me and my WG personal chums all do, we have to spend a helluva time online - and sometimes, sitting in the flat very dull so on a sunny day I'd drag my laptop somewhere nice outside. One client gifted me a roamer USB thing. A few clients spotted that my laptop weighs a ton, so...suggestions I've had so far:

Sorting mail: Gmail has helped me a lot. Before, I'd have to conduct an email conversation...spread out over lots of pages of other people's emails.

I toyed with the idea of setting up a weekly calendar on my site, grid style, with the slots I'm available to be booked in it, plus red bits where I'm most definitely unavailable.

Personally and in my very humble opinion , I would say , just switch on the phone if you are in the mood and answer emails that you like the sound of :cool:

This is a really useful thread, especially for those of us who are intimidated by so much of todays technology ! Regarding the Google Calendar, are there any Nokia phones that can be used with it it ? I like Nokia as I can text no problem and ,as was mentioned earlier, they all operate more or less the same .Thanks .

Never used Nokia to sync with it before but based on this link http://www.google.com/support/calendar/bin/topic.py?hl=en&topic=13950 it appears that it's not natively supported.

Had a look round and saw this http://www.gcalsync.com/ so I guess you can sync a Nokia.

Supported phones

In theory, GCalSync should run on these phones:

Nokia

3152, 3155, 3155i, 5140i, 6060, 6101, 6102, 6152, 6155, 6155i, 6230i, 6235, 6235i, 6265, 6265i, 6270, 6280, 6611, 6630, 6680, 6681, 6682DP2, 6822, 7260, 7700, 8800, 8801, 9300, 9500, E70, N70, N90, N91, any Series 40 Development Platform 3 and later, any Series 60 Second Edition and later, any Series 80, any Series 90

Motorola

E770, E1070, L6, PEBL U6, RAZR V3 (CLDC 1.1), SLVR L7, V3x, V360

Sony Ericsson

K600, K608, K750, V600, W550, W600, W800, Z520, any JavaPlatform5 or newer

BlackBerry

Any, with software version 4.0 or newer

Other

Any that supports MIDP 2.0 and JSR 75: PDA Optional Packages for the J2ME Platform

If you get the message "Sorry, your phone is not supported" you are, unfortunately, out of luck. This means your phone does not support JSR 75: PDA Optional Packages for J2ME which GCalSync needs to access the phone calendar.

I run a corporate telecoms company and i would recommend the Nokia E71,

• Its very easy to use with the Nokia menu system
  • You can set up work and personal email accounts
  • It has a diary/calendar feature which you can sync with online calendar
  • Built-in GPS so you wont get lost when you are on outcall appointment
  • You can also download an application which requires a PIN for anyone to view your SMS and emails
  • Good battery life and reliable
    You can also browse the internet (youtube, facebook etc) on the move and download movies and your fave MP3 song when youre bored!

Regular client, always meet at his. Once, decided to bring along a new CD I'd just bought.

"Ha ha, well I could put it into my 'puter drive I suppose. Don't you have an iPod? Download anything ever? I bet you still have a walkman and cassettes?".

Erk.

Some excellent responses. The better half of me would immediately take on board everything Buns says, the other half instinctively sides with Eve69, and an eighth of me really likes the sound of that pink laptop Bristol Ebony mentioned.

It's so easy for guys to stay in touch - just a handful of punting numbers for them, accumulated over a few months....us, not the same thing. Sane email from nicenhung@fuckmail.com, gets my number - then, random call from someone going, hi, it's Dave/Rob/David/Tarquin/Davy, I emailed you last week? Thursday still on?

I can't even bear to think what agencies and parlours have to do. My last agency, they gave me an astronomical figure for the numbers blacklisted on their call screening.

Perhaps I just need to publish a batch of telephone box cards, clone myself multiply, and bugger off to the Maldives.

Agree with not bothering clients, ball should always be in their court.