benburg

screen colour on laptop

24 posts in this topic

When i turn my pc on the screen turns red and i can barely see the applications or make out any of the text or pictures on the internet.

If i log on in safe mode its ok though the whole outlay is different and it has reduced functionality suggesting its not a major problem?

I'm hopeless with technology. does anyone have a suggestion?

Its a dell laptop if that helps?

thanks in advance.

When i turn my pc on the screen turns red and i can barely see the applications or make out any of the text or pictures on the internet.

If i log on in safe mode its ok though the whole outlay is different and it has reduced functionality suggesting its not a major problem?

I'm hopeless with technology. does anyone have a suggestion?

Its a dell laptop if that helps?

thanks in advance.

It sounds like it could be something to do with the software running your display, (graphics card or monitor drivers). If I understand your post right, you can see things clearly in safe mode? This suggests it's not a hardware problem, and something to do with the drivers. Drivers often screw up, mine have at various times and I've found there's little logic to why they do. It usually works if you update your drivers. If you're not confident in doing this, ask a friend to do it for you as it's pretty straight forward :cool:

These are just preliminary thoughts and there are others on this board far more qualified than me that I'm sure will be pleased to help. :) Good luck.

Thanks - yes can see everything perfectly in safe mode.

So how would I update drivers (i did mention i was hopeless with computers).

Try connecting an external monitor. I would think it's the inverter. The screen works at a lower rate when it's in safe mode hence why it's all ok. What model is it and are you running Vista or XP

Try connecting an external monitor. I would think it's the inverter. The screen works at a lower rate when it's in safe mode hence why it's all ok. What model is it and are you running Vista or XP

its a vista and model is inspiron 1520. any further tips much appreciated.

I would tend to agree, red tinted screens on laptops are usually an indication that the screen's backlight is about to fail. If you get the red tint when you first power it up before it goes into Windows (i.e. when the Dell logo is on the screen) then it will not be a problem with Windows or a driver problem but an issue with the screen & it will need replacing I am afraid.

Fortunately with your model it's usually a 5 minute job to do a complete lid replacement rather than just swap the screen & you can usually pick a laptop up with a knackered motherboard (or sometimes just the actual lid) on Ebay for a cheapo price. Pop the strip of plastic off above the keyboard, undo the screen lid hinge screws, undo the keyboard screws & under the keyboard unplug the sceen cable and just lift it all off. Replacement is the reverse. :D

Thanks - yes can see everything perfectly in safe mode.

So how would I update drivers (i did mention i was hopeless with computers).

You can use free utility like this one: http://scan.driverguide.com/scan.php

Doubt it will help though, but no harm in updating drivers anyway. Have you tried to connect your laptop to different monitor as Curry suggested?

Thanks for the tip Xenia - even i could run that - sadly did not fix the problem though.

Looks like I'll have to take currys and wamphyiri's advice and replace the external monitor. I wouldn't know how to do that - in fact don't even know what an external monitor is (I assume the screen). Guess I'll just take it to a repair shop.

Bit of a shambles - I've only had this laptop for less than 2 years and don't use it for anything other than the internet.

Replacing a laptop screen? Big expense IME.

Replacing a laptop screen? Big expense IME.

Not at all, only if you buy new. There are shedloads of spares/repair laptops with issues not relating to the screen and parts on Ebay at any one time.

You sound as if your technical expertise rivals mine .... :confused: .... however, for what it's worth, I had a Viglen pc years ago that was left untouched in a cold, dampish room for 2 or 3 weeks and it had a red tinted screen when it came to be used. It remedied itself when it had been in decent conditions for a day or two.

I would not recommend you take it to any local PC shop as it's likely they will not have a clue. The best people to try are www.clonesuk.com and it is likely that Danny or Andy may be able to give you an idea over the phone what the problem is and how much a repair will be.

I have been thinking & doing a little more research about this and:

If the backlight or inverter is failing then the red tint will usually clear up within a few seconds of the laptop being turned on so if it is red all the time then it's likely not to be the screen, inverter or a driver problem. Looking at the Inspiron 1520 some models have an add-on Geforce graphics card fitted which are known for failing in laptops due to overheating, I think this is what has happened here & can be confirmed by plugging an external monitor as previously recommended (external monitor meaning a normal PC monitor which will plug into the blue 15pin socket on the back of the laptop - same socket that your PC has). If the display on the monitor is also red then it is definitely the graphics card. Good news is they are cheaper to buy than a screen but the bad news is on these Dells you have to basically dismantle the base to get to them. Clones will be able to do this for you though.

Not at all, only if you buy new. There are shedloads of spares/repair laptops with issues not relating to the screen and parts on Ebay at any one time.

:confused:

They are not that cheep, wamphyri. The ones on Ebay sell for £90, and here for £77, made by Samsung, but I am sure will fit Dell Inspirion series (not sure about P&P on the top of it). Also, you need to add to it cost of fitting, (another £40-£50) as Benburg already said he is not going to do it himself.

Considering that you can get brand new laptop similar or with much better spec of a previous Benburg lappie, for under £370, its only for him to decide what is the best for him.

I'm more confused than ever but thanks for all your kind suggestions!

Will go to get it repaired and possibly get several quotes but if the cost is too much will consider buying a new laptop.

I only use it for the internet, storing/viewing photos and skype/messenger video chats so my needs are basic and that's why I got a fairly basic model. If I was to get a new laptop what would you recommend (as you seem a very knowledgable crowd )

[QIf the backlight or inverter is failing then the red tint will usually clear up within a few seconds of the laptop being turned on so if it is red all the time then it's likely not to be the screen, inverter or a driver problem. Looking at the Inspiron 1520 some models have an add-on Geforce graphics card fitted which are known for failing in laptops due to overheating, QUOTE]UOTE=wamphyri;389930]

I think you may be right as I think the screen was exposed to sunshine through a window (I live abroad hence the sunshine and why your recommended fixers aren't an option)

- I've only had this laptop for less than 2 years and don't use it for anything other than the internet.
If I was to get a new laptop what would you recommend (as you seem a very knowledgable crowd )

Perhaps a netbook might be more appropriate for you. I recommend the Acer Aspire running Linux. You can get the 8.9 inch screen with a preloaded version of Linpus for under 200. If Windoze is a must they do a 10.1 inch version for another 50 or so.

Will go to get it repaired and possibly get several quotes but if the cost is too much will consider buying a new laptop.

I only use it for the internet, storing/viewing photos and skype/messenger video chats so my needs are basic and that's why I got a fairly basic model. If I was to get a new laptop what would you recommend (as you seem a very knowledgable crowd )

As Nero said above netbook will be enough for your needs. You can get one for under £120 with Linux OS or under £170 with win XP (which I will advise you to, if you not familiar with Linux)

Please note that most of the netbooks run on the Atom processor, and tend to be annoyingly slow in comparison with proper laptop or PC. Some of them do have plenty of storage (upto 250 gb) and if you will shed another £50-60, you will get it with battery which will last for 6-7 hours.

I would not advise you to buy netbook as a replacement for a proper laptop though. (only as an addition). They don't have an optical DVD drive either, if you want to watch DVDs on it also, as well as load software from DVDs and not from the net.

The only netbook on the market right now which has an external optical DVD drive/re-writer is Kohjinsha, but for for £600. However the the price of this little beauty is a hardly in a netbook area, unless you want to push the boat out and have it all in the very small portable package. :o.

The only netbook on the market right now which has an external optical DVD drive/re-writer.

Sorry for a mistake. Meant "internal" :o. Why nobody corrected me before?

Have a look also at the Samsung N110; nice screen (not too glossy) and one of the best keyboards IMO. :o

Netbooks have already been dealt with but if you are considering a full sized laptop on a reasonable budget I'd look for a second user IBM Thinkpad T60/T61 series. It will almost certainly outlast any new laptop you can buy in the shops and still be in 'as new' condition after 10+ years of use if you look after it. Expect to pay from about £200 for a low end T60 up to £350 for a widescreen T61.

I deal in ex-corporate IT gear and Thinkpad T (and X) Series generally have the best build quality by far. I can never sell enough of them as I know they'll not be coming back with faults. This is not a tout as I have none in stock to sell :o