June2013

Support Service In Norfolk

15 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I just wanted to let people know that there is a new service in Norfolk that aims to support women working in the adult industry.

The ROSE Project offers confidential, non judgmental practical support through a free helpline and live chat service and drop in 'sitting room'.

We are not about telling women what they should and shouldn't be doing - we are all about listening and supporting without judgement.

Find us at the following link:

http://www.rosecampaign.org

3 people like this

What a great service.

Some good advice on there, especially like the bit about keeping your knickers on (before you boys get silly over that they are talking about pictures being in the public domain). But, and I do feel I have to say this. It has undercurrents of all sex workers are not happy or at risk somehow through their choices and that is simply not so. Most if not all of the women here are doing it with their eyes wide open and happy doing so.

I also couldn't find a link to saafe which IMHO is highly amiss.

Fair point Holly! Thanks for the input. 

We do post on the Saafe forum but it would definately be worth a link.

With regards to the undercurrents you mentioned, we totally agree that many women are working with their eyes wide open and are happy doing so. We are there for women what ever the situation but of course we emphasize the support we can offer those who are working through lack of choice or who may be at risk.

We have twenty years experience of supporting sex working women in the Norfolk area so we know (unfortunately) that many women do need the support we offer. We aim to meet the women wherever they are at and help in any way that they need.

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated.

Siobhan.

Hi all,

Some updated information for you about support for women in Norfolk.

The Magdalene Group has 20 years experience in supporting women working in the sex/adult industry in Norfolk. We are members of the UKNSWP and the NWG.

We offer non judgmental, practical and confidential support through our free listening and live chat service. We also offer outreach, drop in and befriending services in the Norwich area. 

Find our contact details at www.magdalenegroup.org

Take care from The Magdalene Group

Hi All,

I just wanted to let people know that there has been a change of name for women's services at The Magdalene Group. Our services have been renamed Doorway - on account that the door is always open for women in the adult industry that need practical or emotional support. Anything from condoms and sexual health info to a cup of tea and a tax form!

Please check out our new website at www.magdalenegroup.org to see what we offer.

We also have a Facebook page and Twitter feed - just follow the links from our website

Any feedback greatly appreciated!!

Many thanks,

Siobhan 

1 person likes this

Good Evening,

We are hoping to put on some free self defence classes for working women in the area - we are based in Norwich city centre.

I just wondered what people think about this?  If people have had positive or negative experiences recently with classes already available etc. They could be day or evening depending on what works best for those coming along.
Also, if you or someone you know is already doing this in Norwich it would be great to know! 

Hope you all have a great week and thanks in advance!

Siobhan at Doorway. x 

June,

Thanks for letting us know about this project, which I am sure has the best of intentions, but please can you clarify your message.

You say you are 'non-judgemental' but the web site and your annual report start with 'exploitation' and therefore an imbedded assumption that women (and men I assume) working in the sex trade are all exploited. Your annual report has eight photos of women as negative stereotypes. Looking at the quality of these photos, I have no doubt they are professionally-produced and the women shown have nothing to do with the sex industry. Can you confirm these photos are all of sex workers taken in real situations and not in any way posed?

I am very pleased that groups like yours provide support to sex workers. Workers in all industries, including this one, need support from time to time and you may be providing a valuable service, but I have an overwhelming feeling that you are promoting a hidden agenda, namely that your real intention is to move towards prohibition of prostitution regardless of whether the workers (like Holly) want to do this type of work or not. If I am wrong then please say so.

Can I also ask you to clarify your position on the 'Swedish Model' - do you support it? A simple yes or no will suffice but feel free to expand if you wish.

Edited by Dave451

Hi Dave,

Thanks so much for your message -  your feedback is really useful.

We have had similar feedback recently from other forums mentioning the photos as being stereotypical. That was absolutely not our intention at all - we are looking to change these in the near future. The last thing we want to do is isolate people or make them feel judged. We would not want to use images of 'real working women' due to confidentiality. The quotes are directly from women and young people we have worked alongside.

Our overall aim is to support women in the adult industry - there is absolutely no agenda hidden or otherwise with regards to what we would want the women to do. Unfortunately we have supported many women over the last 20 years who have been mainly street working women where exploitation has been a huge issue - this is what the women have been saying to us over this time, not what we have assumed. We have a very well respected team who support young people in Norfolk who have been exposed to sexually exploitative relationships, we also support women who have been trafficked across Europe and also more locally. Hence there is mention of exploitation in our bumph. We recognise - thanks to input from people such as your self - that the emphasis may be too great and this needs to be addressed. Incidentally, we did ask some of the women who access support from us what they thought and the response was positive!

We don't encourage exiting - that would be assuming that anyone working is not doing it with their eyes wide open and is not able to make the choice. The Magdalene Group was set up 20 years ago but has changed greatly in that time in terms of what we aim to do. Our aim is to empower and support in a way that works - and the women we are supporting leads that - it might be a regular supply of condoms, it might be talking over the phone about a difficult day, helping put an Ugly Mug report in or helping with housing etc.

In terms of the Swedish Model - I don't know what good criminalizing anyone does - whether they are selling or purchasing sex. Punishing punters will also punish those women who are choosing to work in this field. So, in short no, we don't support the Swedish Model.

Thanks again for your feedback. Our marketing may not be quite up to scratch but we hope that the service we provide is.  :)

Cheers Dave,

Siobhan at Doorway. 

Hi All,

Just letting people know that are out in Norwich red light area on Friday evenings. 

Our small team drive a grey Berlingo and will be (discretely!) available for condoms, personal alarms, lube, hot drinks, snacks etc. We also have up to date Ugly Mugs information, sexual health info and other stuff!  Keep an eye out for us - any contact with us is completely confidential and absolutely no strings attached.

If you want us to come out to where you are working in Norwich drop us a line and we can do this - discreetly of course.

Take care,

Siobhan at Doorway.  :)

Siobhan, thanks for your reply and explaining more about what you are doing, which answers my questions.

I am sure you will understand that there are groups working around this industry who masquerade as "supporting women" who are really aggressive feminists who want to stamp out the sex industry and who use their clients to further their own ends. I am pleased you are not one of these groups so thank you for coming on here to explain your work and I look forward to following your progress.

Hi all!

Just wanted to let you all know about our free and confidential service for women working in the Adult Industry in Norfolk.

We offer Drop in over lunch Mon/Wed/Fri where we can provide information and advice if you need from anything like benefits to health or safety when working. We provide free condoms, lube and help with ugly mugs.

Doorway Project also offers a confidential, non-judgmental free listening and live chat service.

Call us free on 0808 800 1030 or use our website www.magdalenegroup.org

Take care!
Doorway Team

On 25/04/2014 at 10:45 AM, June2013 said:

Find us at the following link:

http://www.rosecampaign.org

The Rose Campaign is now Doorway, so no need to keep paying for the domain, but I'm still amused to see that it now links to a Japanese (maybe Chinese?) cosmetic surgery site!

Posted (edited)

On 25/02/2015 at 9:33 PM, June2013 said:

We are hoping to put on some free self defence classes for working women in the area - we are based in Norwich city centre.

Well meaning no doubt but I always wonder why sex worker projects don't offer us first aid training!? What happens if our client suddenly falls ill? With proper training we could potentially stop some one from DYING from a heart attack. Far more people die this way than in the hands of a WG hating murderer. But no, it's always one sided and of course we are the 'victims'.

Edited by MySecretLife
spelling mistake
1 person likes this