Helen Jones

Vista Admin

24 posts in this topic

I have a second laptop. The O.S. is Vista.

I have no administrator user at all. I think I may have accidentally deleted the admin user.

I have tried the cmd run as administrator fix but I cant run anything as admin mode is needed and of course I dont have it! In fact I have tried everything I can find in Google but not fix.

So its no admin rights at all. I'm basically a guest on my own computer :D I don't really want to reinstall vista etc so if you can help at all I'd be a happy bunny.

Thanks

Boot up in Safe Mode, choose "Repair your Computer" and choose the System Restore option, and choose a restore point prior to the problem occurring.

Boot up in Safe Mode, choose "Repair your Computer" and choose the System Restore option, and choose a restore point prior to the problem occurring.

Are you sure this going to help? I would thought it will be a more complex to gain admin rights on the puter, like using first ultimate Boot CD for windows, then http://cdslow.webhost.ru/en/ntpwedit/. (or similar)

If it was a simple as to run System Restore in safe mode, I am sure Helen would have done it already.

I'm basically a guest on my own computer :D I

99% of the time so am I ..what's wrong with that?

Control Panel > User Accounts > Add or remove users

Control Panel > User Accounts > Add or remove users

She need to be an admin to be able to do it. She is not, if you will read her post.

Yes thats right. But if theres no admin designated, you set yourself up as admin. If there is an admin designated and the password is lost, thats when the problems start

And you can (re)enable the Administrator account (Vista lock out settings).

Thanks a lot for the helpful suggestions.

What a pain in the bum ! Ill try a few of your suggestions ( The ones that dont need admin rights) and let you know how I get on. Its going to be a weeks work rooting for the recovery disks!

Thanks again my lovelies. x

Are you sure this going to help? I would thought it will be a more complex to gain admin rights on the puter, like using first ultimate Boot CD for windows, then http://cdslow.webhost.ru/en/ntpwedit/. (or similar)

If it was a simple as to run System Restore in safe mode, I am sure Helen would have done it already.

TY Xenia for some reason I dont have a single restore point either, I think its a windows conspiracy to make me go mentalist. Oh well back on with the tin foil helmet.

Thanks a lot for the helpful suggestions.

What a pain in the bum ! Ill try a few of your suggestions ( The ones that dont need admin rights) and let you know how I get on. Its going to be a weeks work rooting for the recovery disks!

Thanks again my lovelies. x

edit. ......

Yes thats right. But if theres no admin designated, you set yourself up as admin. If there is an admin designated and the password is lost, thats when the problems start

You are so right!

I never use a password - causes too much trouble.

I have been locked out too many times and have finally gotten smart.

reformat the hard disk, install XP and reinstall your programs.

Simples!

rooting for the recovery disks!

If Its a DELL and you can not find them let me know, I have a master set for DELL's :rolleyes:

If Its a DELL and you can not find them let me know, I have a master set for DELL's :rolleyes:

Thankyou.

Its actually an Acer and I remembered it didn't come with recovery discs but has a built in recovery prog which has now been used.

Thanks for the offer though itt was very kind of you.

Helen.

reformat the hard disk, install XP and reinstall your programs.

Simples!

That answer was OK before Windows 7, but these days the correct answer, is reformat the hard disk, install Windows 7 (preferably the 64 bit version on a modern PC) and reinstall your programs.

B

My new Acer Laptops got a built in recovery program and when you first start the laptop from new it asks you if you want to burn a system recovery and drivers disk. :D

My new Acer Laptops got a built in recovery program and when you first start the laptop from new it asks you if you want to burn a system recovery and drivers disk. :(

I assume that option doesnt appear after first use? Is there any option after first use?

Thankyou.

I'm still firmly sticking to xp, so take me wi' a pinch of salt,

but,

I think you'll find that there is a "secret" partition on the hard drive, which holds the system restore and the disk-image to burn a recovery disk. Trouble is getting into it!

There will be a program (look at "All Programs") which accesses the image - your problem is finding it. Possibly (but I doubt it) this program is lost, but I think that if anything has gone, it will have only been a short-cut.

[One advantage of the current weather, presumably, is that you've got lots of time to enjoy your new lap-top?]

Helen,

I thought you had fixed this?

Helen,

I thought you had fixed this?

I have. I just wanted a way to save all my information before I rebooted via the built in gubbins.

Thanks