spunkie74

Have 'tart Cards' Largely Been Made Redundant Now?

41 posts in this topic

Was up London today and passed several telephone boxes and couldn't help but notice that most -if not all- were tart card free. When I started punting 15-20 years ago pre internet, tart cards were my sole method of contacting working girls. I kind of miss them in a way, there was always the thrill of going into a telephone box laden with cards hoping no one would be watching you. Then there was the stench that most telephone boxes had, like someone had just urinated (and probably had) in it but kind of adding to the sleazy thrill. Looking up at the array of cards and seeking one that might fit the bill. The pictures were of course fake but that was all part of it, and looking for a card that advertised the services you wanted. Then the slight excited / nervous moment of dialing the number and waiting for an answer, hoping you had dialed correctly. It was almost always a female who answered and then you had to make your opening line "Are you available today? Im looking for a 30 minute session to include oral both ways...". Then the calming female voice on the other end replying something like; "Yes dear, we have a lovely Polish girl into day, blond, blue eyes, hair down to her waist 34c chest, all services including watersports, we're based lower flat, 12A London Street...". There was never any turning back after that, it was a quick check of the map then on your way!

I dont know if was just lucky but considering how 'blind' this form of punting was I met some cracking girls via this method including my fav of all time, a gorgeous Pakistani girl based in Cleveland Street Central London, called Kira who I had the pleasure of punting with on several occasions.

Now the internet means you can research better and contact via email, SMS and all the rest of it. But I still miss the sleazy tart cards. Anyone know if they still are used and anyone got any tart card memories?

In sth kensington they are full of them

But even telephone boxes are practically redundant now . . .

Edited by Bond

I remember reading in a trade magazine a few decades ago that Westminster Council decided to clear the cards out of the phone boxes. The number they collected before giving up was staggering, hundreds of thousands!!! 

Can't wait to get back and check out the local 'phone box now!!!

I used to take a few and send them to friends as postcards to embarrass them,  with a little note on the back :

"Hello dahlink I missing you ven you come to see me again?  This time I give you good price."

2 people like this

Still lots of them in phone boxes in various areas of Central and West London - pretty pointless though since nobody use phone boxes any more, but I suppose they are still a good distribution point for cards though :)

I walk past phone boxes filled with them in central London every day.  Once or twice a week they'll all be taken down, but put back up again within a day.

I was in London about 10 years ago, walking down a residential street when it started raining heavily. I took refuge in a telephone box and spent the next 20 minutes gazing at the photos on the cards whilst waiting for the rain to stop.

Last year in London I didn't see many cards in the telephone boxes.

I'm sure another thread here mentioned that before cards were cheap and easily obtained girls used to avertise with handwritten cards in newsagents, using much more coded language.

yeah all this online stuff is no fun compared to lurking round the west end with a handful of change...

there is definitely way less than there used to be... but they're not completely gone... somebody must be using them...

i've got so many funny stories involving phone box punts...

warren street area used to be good for indies... loads of dodgy brothels round baker street and gloucester road...

creeping round late at night used to be great...

so many used to be on the other side of town and you would have to ring around to find one that was local... multiple cards would go through to the same reception LOL... blonde russian / hot latina / busty black all answered by the same mysterious voice...

LOL i remember sneaking into a phone box round mayfair once and some guys and their girlfriends came along and saw what i was doing and stood around taking the piss...

it was good fun to sit somewhere strategic and watch the characters that actually put them up... from albanian pimps to bag ladies to hookers... all kinds... "the sun" ran a story once about a roller skating dude that was making £100 a day putting them up (a decent days pay back then)

many of my earliest punts were phone box punts (walk ups also)... this is where i learned the ropes... i remember being so disappointed the first time because the spanish sex kitten pictured on the card was actually a northern girl... oxford st, next to a boots, anyone remember? there was a bus stop right outside and the whole bus looked at me while I waited for the intercom, i remember freaking out thinking everyone knows... i told the girl and her maid and they pissed themselves laughing...

another one i remember was tottenham court road near that pub on the corner (the sun?) above one of those computer shops ... there used to be a blonde girl from camden there... she would wear this kind of red dress and was studying IT at uni... the card used to have a picture of a blonde school girl and say something like "she needs a firm hand" or something... LOL she used to act all submissive which was wasted on me a bit because i was so inexperienced...

2 people like this

There are still plenty of phone boxes full of cards in central London. People must still use them, presumably for spur of the moment punts, otherwise they wouldn't exist.

Some of my first punts also were phone box cards in Central London, but 20 years later I'm surprised they're still found in boxes, is it still a economical advertising?

Some of my first punts also were phone box cards in Central London, but 20 years later I'm surprised they're still found in boxes, is it still a economical advertising?

Happy days! Started in London then explored the Brighton flats, cards were everywhere!

I used to print cards for a couple of flats and a few Indies but not done any for 18 months now, shame as still got some nice software to knock them out on, you could always spot mine from a distance full colour, a few places copied my style but as the software is no longer available its hard to get the same finished cards. The biggest change has been the corner shop/newsagents putting up the display costs when I started many places were 50p a month but now some charge £1 a week or more and when you add up your monthly trip around the shops to put up say 30 or 40 shops it adds up plus fuel and time.

the cardies who did the boxes l think were on £20 a round that's for twice a day not a lot but if you could get in with say five flats or more then that's a nice tax free earner!

The phone boxes are still full of them in Paddington/edgware Road etc so they must be of some use...

Some of the phones boxes however could do with some TLC...lol

I remember reading an article recently about a new method of 'electronic advertising' in these telephone boxes, similar to what they are using in some European cities.  But probably the girls would still have to pay, I thought to myself and probably they will still be using their own cards.  

I always wondered who makes them anyway?  Is it part of the deal with an adult magazine?  I associate them with smelly telephone boxes and girls in bad flats who charge very low fees.  But hey, I could be wrong.

I do not know if it was a tall tale but I read of a guy who made the call and the girl arrived at the box snd wanted to shag in the phone box!!!

I do not know if it was a tall tale but I read of a guy who made the call and the girl arrived at the box snd wanted to shag in the phone box!!!

errrrr... the idea is they give you the address and you go to them... i think thats taking the term "out call" to the extreme...

a new method of 'electronic advertising' in these telephone boxes, similar to what they are using in some European cities. 

I always wondered who makes them anyway?  Is it part of the deal with an adult magazine?  I associate them with smelly telephone boxes and girls in bad flats who charge very low fees.  But hey, I could be wrong.

what is the new method?

read up to Jkay's post for who makes them...

bad flats yes... low fee's? no, usually overpriced rush rush service... but some good punts

always was very hit and miss... but before the internet was the primary way of attracting business in the westend...

LOL it seemd like anything that wasnt a shop or legitimate business in the west end was a whore house back then... it was rampant...

i can only imagine that the only flats left doing it these days are the dodgiest dives... LOL too dodgy even to use the internet...

I remember reading an article recently about a new method of 'electronic advertising' in these telephone boxes, similar to what they are using in some European cities.  But probably the girls would still have to pay, I thought to myself and probably they will still be using their own cards.  

Low fees do not necessarily equate to poor service. This is a common misconception among common folk.

I actually associate girls that advertise in phone boxes, OK I mean girls that have their advertising cards put in phone boxes, as being on the expensive rather than cheap end of the market.

This is based on experience from many moons ago, but I don't think it will have changed that much - cards are surely mostly aimed at tourists, no?

I actually associate girls that advertise in phone boxes, OK I mean girls that have their advertising cards put in phone boxes, as being on the expensive rather than cheap end of the market.

This is based on experience from many moons ago, but I don't think it will have changed that much - cards are surely mostly aimed at tourists, no?

i would think they would be expensive - as they know guys in phone boxes wont want to be shopping around for a good price

it's probably 200 an hour

Why do you think it's 200 a hour? Ok I've not punted with phone card girls for years, but I doubt it's gone up that much, you probably looking at the average West end price of £130-£150 p/hr

And another point, isn't putting up phone cards illegal? I heard in theory the cops can nick you.

Sadie-Strumpet has a selection on a board in her working flat. Not for advertisement, but for decorative purposes.

C

still plenty of cards in phone boxes round warren street...

Why do you think it's 200 a hour? Ok I've not punted with phone card girls for years, but I doubt it's gone up that much, you probably looking at the average West end price of £130-£150 p/hr

And another point, isn't putting up phone cards illegal? I heard in theory the cops can nick you.

I heard the same thing: not only is illegal but you can go to prison for that.