Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Irgendeiner

Poca - Ecthr Judgment

6 posts in this topic

As you say, it's not final - so what happens next?

And if a final judgment were to confirm this initial judgment, would it be likely to apply retrospectively thus offering Sasha an opportunity to consider filing a claim? 

So far as I can remember, a decision becomes final if the respondent government doesn't ask for it to be considered anew by the Grand Chamber within a fixed tinme limit.

As to whether the decision could have retroactive effect, I don't know. There is a general dislike of retroactive law, but in a case such as this where it is a balancing act between the interests of an individual, and the supposed interests of society as a whole, I do rather wonder. Probably too late for Sasha (surely ECtHR has time limits?)

This article published yesterday documents the vindictive unfair way in which POCA continues to be applied to sex workers as a "punishment" for working together for safety. If sex workers are ever to feel they can trust the police to protect them from violence and exploitation, we really need to change the law so that the police spend less time hurting and humiliating women who are working together for safety and support and more time cracking down on real criminals.

https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/why-sex-workers-are-losing-their-homes-and-life-savings-in-police-raids

1 person likes this

Ye gods those stories are sickening. POCA was designed to get cash from the big boys, and police forces and the CPS, increasingly believing that they are a private army, are abusing their powers. All POCA cash should go to charity, perhaps, if the victims cannot be recompensed - but certainly not to the state nor to the police.