Annabellexoxo

What Is This Noise?

21 posts in this topic

My home PC makes this very high pitched noise, around 16 decibels that drives me mad.  Actually it comes from the BT home hub and in the past I tried different methods to make it stop as I can hear it even in other rooms: re-plugging everything, moving it away from the wall or other objects.  Yet after a while the noise starts again.

As I had a Dell PC exploding near me some time ago, I know that anything is possible, so I wonder if there is anything I should do before calling BT and asking them to replace it as an ultimate option?

Give it a bloody good shake. I used to do that with my kids. Sure as hell kept them quiet.

On a more serious note try giving it a sharp tap with your fingers. It could very well be a loose connection of some sort that will fall back into place when jogged a bit.

If it's the Home Hub router, then the only option is to phone BT and ask for a replacement.  You can't take it apart and replace anything (if you did, you might invalid some warranty etc.)  As to the noise, the router itself should be solid state, so the only thing that comes to mind is perhaps a fan.  Does it happen as soon as you plug it in?  Does the router become very hot?

No, the router does not become hot, is just the annoying high pitched noise.  I switched it off overnight, yet it started as soon as I plugged it again.  I will call BT for a replacement as I cannot think of any other logical explanation

No, the router does not become hot, is just the annoying high pitched noise.  I switched it off overnight, yet it started as soon as I plugged it again.  I will call BT for a replacement as I cannot think of any other logical explanation

Its two wires touching  which causes a loop causes the buzz noise, its a fault get them to change it  Annabelle

1 person likes this

Its two wires touching which causes a loop causes the buzz noise, its a fault get them to change it Annabelle

Definitely needs changing as their sensitive systems may perceive a noisy line and lower your connection speed due to it.

Once you get the new router do a speed test at www.speedtest.net , if it's slower than normal ring BT and ask them to reset your line.

DG

1 person likes this

Definitely needs changing as their sensitive systems may perceive a noisy line and lower your connection speed due to it.

Once you get the new router do a speed test at www.speedtest.net , if it's slower than normal ring BT and ask them to reset your line.

DG

Is that something we should all be doing on a regular basis DG?

Its the capacitor on the router got fucked up. No matter what you do, its not going to fix it, so return the router to BT for replacement. 

Is that something we should all be doing on a regular basis DG?

It's definitely a good idea to check you're getting your expected (and paid for) internet connection. We should be mindful that broadband is always sold as an "up to" service rather than guaranteed but a significant drop in speed should be investigated.

I'm on superfast fibre and it's been very reliable thus far and I average a download speed of 37 Mbps from a 38 Mbps max connection (10 Mbps uplink), about as good as it gets for my line. I'm perhaps a little too far from the cabinet to opt for the faster 76 Mbps service but can't say I need it any faster anyway.

DG

Don't worry too much. Its probably just spirits from the other side trying to communicate that they are going to get you in when you sleep or maybe picking up on an Alien transmission warning us that they are coming to destroy the world. No worries, just try resetting it 

Well, I had enough after trying several methods repeatedly so I contacted BT to replace it and they have been very fast on sending a new one.  But I got called racist in the process by a guy in India for saying the call centres should be in the UK as it was so difficult communicating with him with the usual scenario: keeping me on the phone and asking the same info several times, talking non sense despite being succinct and explaining what I have done prior to my call to ensure I do not waste their time.  These guys are so annoying and so bad, no wonder we hear so many bad stories on how they treat women in India!!!!!

Leave them and choose another provider.

Personally I detest BT along with all the major ISPs.  They restrict your online activities by blocking sites and monitoring your traffic.   

Well, I had enough after trying several methods repeatedly so I contacted BT to replace it and they have been very fast on sending a new one.  But I got called racist in the process by a guy in India for saying the call centres should be in the UK as it was so difficult communicating with him with the usual scenario: keeping me on the phone and asking the same info several times, talking non sense despite being succinct and explaining what I have done prior to my call to ensure I do not waste their time.  These guys are so annoying and so bad, no wonder we hear so many bad stories on how they treat women in India!!!!!

Then definatley do not use EE. My friend has been ripped off royally by them.

Chloe: What is EE? (in the context of your reply?). I know EE its 4g network service, or can be abbreviation for Eastern European. Not one of them related to the Annabel post you quoted.

Regarding call centres somewhere in the South Asia: I never had problem to understand what they saying, or them to understand me. However they do tend to go the certain script which does not relate to your particular problem, which can be mega frustrating!  (the same applies to UK call centres also)

Still: its not just Indian call centres. Lat week my NAS drive gave up. (Seagate). I was on the phone to the American support centre 4 times for about 2 hours all together.  (it was a free call though).  They did put a remote assistance. Its when they can try to sort out the problem connecting directly on your computer.  (I should have removed some naughty pictures of myself on my desktop, as of course guy in CS seen them, lol)  However it still took that amount of time for them to admit , that my NAS drive was faulty. I knew it straight away, and done exactly the same procedures to to fix it prior calling to them, but fair play to them to do theirs best to try to fix it too.

If its fucked- its fucked! If I can not fix it myself, then there not any chance they could have done it. 

Yes, I sent it back to Amazon, and will get my money back. (its still under warrantee). I am just upset, that all the pictures and video files (thousands of them) and my Russian programs and movie files, (almost 300 of them) are gone. :-(.  (I can download them again, but its a massive big job and time consuming. 

EE  =  "Everything Everywhere", the new name for the joint venture of T mobile and Orange.

EE  =  "Everything Everywhere", the new name for the joint venture of T mobile and Orange.

I know, but I still cant see how its related to to the post which Chloe quoted.

1 person likes this

Chloe: What is EE? (in the context of your reply?). I know EE its 4g network service, or can be abbreviation for Eastern European. Not one of them related to the Annabel post you quoted.

Regarding call centres somewhere in the South Asia: I never had problem to understand what they saying, or them to understand me. However they do tend to go the certain script which does not relate to your particular problem, which can be mega frustrating!  (the same applies to UK call centres also)

Still: its not just Indian call centres. Lat week my NAS drive gave up. (Seagate). I was on the phone to the American support centre 4 times for about 2 hours all together.  (it was a free call though).  They did put a remote assistance. Its when they can try to sort out the problem connecting directly on your computer.  (I should have removed some naughty pictures of myself on my desktop, as of course guy in CS seen them, lol)  However it still took that amount of time for them to admit , that my NAS drive was faulty. I knew it straight away, and done exactly the same procedures to to fix it prior calling to them, but fair play to them to do theirs best to try to fix it too.

If its fucked- its fucked! If I can not fix it myself, then there not any chance they could have done it. 

Yes, I sent it back to Amazon, and will get my money back. (its still under warrantee). I am just upset, that all the pictures and video files (thousands of them) and my Russian programs and movie files, (almost 300 of them) are gone. :-(.  (I can download them again, but its a massive big job and time consuming. 

I meant the EE brand mobile network. If you have a problem with the broadband you have via your phone contract with them then its just a mess. My friend was told that if she signed up for broadband she would get 6 months free broadband. Man came around, checked the already installed socket and deemed it fit for use. They told her this check was mandatory. 

She defaulted on her phone bill by accident so it was paid a couple of days late. Broadband was cut off immediately but then put back on within a day. The default happened again. It was paid within 24hrs. Broadband went off and stayed off. When she explained this to her phone provider they told her that they she would have to speak to the broadband department….in India. They two sides have NO interaction or connection whatsoever. They told her that she was basically lying and had not been offered 6 months free broadband as a new sign up by her mobile provider. They told her that she owed 4 months broadband fee at a bill of over £100 which is bizarre as she was going to be on a £9.99 per month broadband tariff which to me works out at £40 with a few pence change. They then decided they would have to find the initial recording of her sign up conversation..this was 3 months ago…they currently have not produced the recorded phone conversation as she asked for a copy. She has spoken to her mobile provider, EE, who say there is nothing they can do to help, she has to deal with the broadband department. 

Plus they have been condescending and plain rude out and out calling her a liar x

This is why I left EE/Orange BB, its a great network but when it goes tits up the phone support is just third world nightmare.....I got strung along for weeks, it got so bad on one call this Indian chap asked me what I was having for my dinner, chicken I said and he wanted to know how I cooked it ! WTF was that all about?  By this stage BB speed was like steam powered and next to useless.

Now with BT, best thing I ever did was move.

So true, yet it is not the first time something is miscontrued or simply distorted here, so I learned just to ignore this kind of posts......

BT sent a new router straight away, but I am yet to receive a call from their Customer Service to discuss why I was abused by the call centre in India: most surely they would call to apologise only but I doubt this will change the way that brain of that guy works, or speaks to women.  You cannot fight the world, so you have to leave these people be......

EE would give you the same problems as you are having with BT. THATS why I mentioned it…see,relevant.

I answered the above post with this 

Chloe Kisses

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:14

Xenia, on 02 Jun 2014 - 17:09, said:snapback.png

I meant the EE brand mobile network. If you have a problem with the broadband you have via your phone contract with them then its just a mess. My friend was told that if she signed up for broadband she would get 6 months free broadband. Man came around, checked the already installed socket and deemed it fit for use. They told her this check was mandatory. 

She defaulted on her phone bill by accident so it was paid a couple of days late. Broadband was cut off immediately but then put back on within a day. The default happened again. It was paid within 24hrs. Broadband went off and stayed off. When she explained this to her phone provider they told her that they she would have to speak to the broadband department….in India. They two sides have NO interaction or connection whatsoever. They told her that she was basically lying and had not been offered 6 months free broadband as a new sign up by her mobile provider. They told her that she owed 4 months broadband fee at a bill of over £100 which is bizarre as she was going to be on a £9.99 per month broadband tariff which to me works out at £40 with a few pence change. They then decided they would have to find the initial recording of her sign up conversation..this was 3 months ago…they currently have not produced the recorded phone conversation as she asked for a copy. She has spoken to her mobile provider, EE, who say there is nothing they can do to help, she has to deal with the broadband department. 

Plus they have been condescending and plain rude out and out calling her a liar x

I did answer this post

So true, yet it is not the first time something is miscontrued or simply distorted here, so I learned just to ignore this kind of posts......

Can you see now? Its less confusing if you read peoples posts and the posts they have quoted