dwanyewest

Prostitution: Is There Anything Wrong With Selling Sex?

44 posts in this topic

Loaded question, isn't it. It may not be a sane or a healthy choice (bit like smoking, really :D ), but it's still my choice to make. Paying for sex may not be sane or healthy either, but it's still the client's choice to make.

The article doesn't mention one of the key arguments used by the antis - prostitution symbolises, perpetuates or even promotes the centuries old oppression and objectification of women by men, which is why the Scandinavian countries adopted their current stance. At some point we all have to choose what kind of a society we want to live in.

Personally, I think we should adopt the New Zealand model, and stop pretending the debate about criminalising punters is about trafficking, since anti-slavery legislation already exists. Why not just implement that more conscientiously?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_in_New_Zealand

Years ago I would have vehemently denied there was anything wrong with it...I was maiding in Banbury and I was a bit of a feminist. Surely its better for a woman to be assertive, proud, and charge for her services rather than shagging anything that moves for the sake of it - thats a quick way to depression and alcoholism if ever there was one. Now days, although Im going to be working as a WG myself, I think the girls in particular need to keep an eye on how they feel. I would imagine the job can wear you down and feck you up unless you have the emotions  of a rock. I was raised Catholic so I have my own feelings of guilt to contend with, and will not take communion now. Maybe it is wrong, who knows? But if all involved have a laugh and a good time and she pays the rent then hey ho, its called life. And life's what you make it. xx

Oo-er, quite proud of that little book ^   :D

Edited by dollyann
1 person likes this

My regular lady was also raised as a Catholic. It would be interesting to know how many other WGs are in that position

2 people like this

Loaded question, isn't it. It may not be a sane or a healthy choice (bit like smoking, really :D ), but it's still my choice to make. Paying for sex may not be sane or healthy either, but it's still the client's choice to make.

The article doesn't mention one of the key arguments used by the antis - prostitution symbolises, perpetuates or even promotes the centuries old oppression and objectification of women by men, which is why the Scandinavian countries adopted their current stance. At some point we all have to choose what kind of a society we want to live in.

Personally, I think we should adopt the New Zealand model, and stop pretending the debate about criminalising punters is about trafficking, since anti-slavery legislation already exists. Why not just implement that more conscientiously?

This is absolutely true in my view. The antis are not primarily about trafficking , its about preventing women having the freedom to decide what to do with their own bodies. Women-v- Women primarily.

I did not read the article but always when I think about 'selling sex' I wonder: aren't men or women marrying somebody better off than them for social or economic advantages when they get a better car or house or jewellery etc?  Isn't Simon Cowell pimping his stupid programmes to ITV, bringing him millions that attract the harem of brunette women sticking to him for so many years?  Aren't illiterate footballers being sold to clubs for millions per year?  And the list goes on.  The society tends to look down on people selling sex purely because some of us with high sex drive do not want to fall for the first guy who follows us in the supermarket, underground, bar or club wanting sex and instead want a safer environment where everything is organised between two consenting adults anyway.  

People are going to look down on others for as long as we are going to exist, so the best solution is the keep everything private.......... you cannot change human nature.

1 person likes this

It's all about the market, offer and demand. Some need a service and are ready to pay for it, some offer this service and are fine being paid for it. Nothing wrong, it's called business.

It's all about the market, offer and demand. Some need a service and are ready to pay for it, some offer this service and are fine being paid for it. Nothing wrong, it's called business.

Playing devil's advocate slightly, there are some things that we would probably not want a market in, even if there were willing buyers and sellers : vital organs for example.

Of course I was talking about selling sex, not organs ;)

in a word "NO" x

My regular lady was also raised as a Catholic. It would be interesting to know how many other WGs are in that position

Not only a Catholic, but from little ol' Ireland too, so doubly repressed.  ;)

1 person likes this

Male objectification of women is centuries old? No, no, men have always looked at women this way, and always will. Male sexuality cannot work any other way. The problem with the left (not just when it comes to sexual politics but everything) is that it tries to change human nature, but human nature is unchanging.

Playing devil's advocate slightly, there are some things that we would probably not want a market in, even if there were willing buyers and sellers : vital organs for example.

Although there is a market for organs such as kidneys in some parts of the world.

I was going to say, there is a market in organs.  The film Dirty pretty things is about illegal immigrants in London dealing in organs. Owt's for sale! 

Yes, I am aware that there is a black market in organs, but would we approve of that as readily as a woman's decision to sell sexual services? I would hope not.

Years ago I would have vehemently denied there was anything wrong with it...I was maiding in Banbury and I was a bit of a feminist. Surely its better for a woman to be assertive, proud, and charge for her services rather than shagging anything that moves for the sake of it - thats a quick way to depression and alcoholism if ever there was one. Now days, although Im going to be working as a WG myself, I think the girls in particular need to keep an eye on how they feel. I would imagine the job can wear you down and feck you up unless you have the emotions  of a rock. I was raised Catholic so I have my own feelings of guilt to contend with, and will not take communion now. Maybe it is wrong, who knows? But if all involved have a laugh and a good time and she pays the rent then hey ho, its called life. And life's what you make it. xx

Oo-er, quite proud of that little book ^   :D

What a good post x

1 person likes this

Is that position anywhere near the "missionary" position? :D

I see nothing wrong with selling sex. As I mean I would do blowjob with condom for over £100 but would not do anal tho lol

It is someone's own responsibility to sell sex, or not to sell it, whatever he/she wishes. He/she must be aware of the consequences, when he/she decides to sell it. You must be ready for it mentally, administratively and not every punter is friendly during the punt. I would strongly recommend participate in the SAAFE forum to exchange your experiences with others who are there.

Prostitution should not be a state matter, except in cases where it is forced and human trafficking is involved. It should not be fought, with lies and questionable statements as arguments.

I think it depends on where.

I am debating with myself whether or not to go to Thailand for a Holiday but there's a certain moral ambiguity that could be a determining factor that needs to be taken into account so I may not go.

Not only a Catholic, but from little ol' Ireland too, so doubly repressed.  ;)

I thought being an Irish Roman Catholic guarantees two things.Perpetual Virginity or Perpetual Pregnancy...

Well I had a very religious christian grandmother, went to sunday school till I was kicked out, attended church at various intervals and special occasions but also a mother who was a christian who ended up remarrying someone who hated god so i wasnt brought up to actually believe. I always felt just a bit embarrassed and rather stupid to believe in this entity thing in the sky. Where was the proof? I felt that from very young. I have no religious issues with this job.

I do however feel that its a womans right to do whatever the hell she wants to do with her own body, any feminist who disagrees with that is not truly about empowering women, they are simply about appearing to be empowered, about putting women into a nice neat box just as much as men have for god knows how long. They think they have the right to dominate other women and force them into these neat little boxes that they feel are acceptable to their personal moral code.They are not true feminists in my eyes.

So…nope, nothing wrong with this job whatsoever x

3 people like this

Well I had a very religious christian grandmother, went to sunday school till I was kicked out, attended church at various intervals and special occasions but also a mother who was a christian who ended up remarrying someone who hated god so i wasnt brought up to actually believe. I always felt just a bit embarrassed and rather stupid to believe in this entity thing in the sky. Where was the proof? I felt that from very young. I have no religious issues with this job.

I do however feel that its a womans right to do whatever the hell she wants to do with her own body, any feminist who disagrees with that is not truly about empowering women, they are simply about appearing to be empowered, about putting women into a nice neat box just as much as men have for god knows how long. They think they have the right to dominate other women and force them into these neat little boxes that they feel are acceptable to their personal moral code.They are not true feminists in my eyes.

My sister is well on her way to becoming a minister and is constantly telling me I will be forgiven, her and my uncle (a curate) took me to one side at my fathers funeral and gave me a right lecture about repenting.. Pair of bloody hypocrites, they took advantage of my grief to try and ram their religion down my throat. Not really the correct way for a true Christian to behave IMHO

Joke is my sister has had this 'God Bless You' attitude for years and is so stifling with it her daughters main ambition was to become a pole dancer or stripper when leaving school.

Definitely agree with this part of your post, Chloe.

There is a group of feminists that defend prostitution and sex-workers. They called their opinion: sex-positive feminism. On Wikipedia there is a big article about this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex-positive_feminism