vivluvsme

Password Manager

14 posts in this topic

Never heard of this until the latest internet scare story.

I've got my passwords on a scribble sheet I am ashamed to say - or at least most of them with the most commonly used ones in my head.

Do folk think password managers good, essential, flawed?

Is there - I know there won't be - one that hoovers your pc collecting your passwords for you and that you can add the missing ones to?

Can't see me having the patience to compile a list - and get them all right...)

I am wanting something for nothing aren't I.

A bit of paper in a book or file does just fine for me.

I keep mine in the back pages of various diaries. Have done for years and it works just fine. If I ever forget one, which can happen, I can get it back from the site I need in 5 minutes

I feel vindicated! Thanks guys

www.lastpass.com   Generates totally random passwords (not words and birthdays etc) and you only have to remember the master password.

1 person likes this

www.lastpass.com   Generates totally random passwords (not words and birthdays etc) and you only have to remember the master password.

Great app use it all the time.

I have taken the tips for lastpass. Not sure if I can throw my piece of paper away yet but glad to have what looks a good system.

b5 and 869 - your surname is not heartbleed is it???

V. Walk to a clear blue fast moving mountain stream and cast the piece paper into the water  and watch it float away. It's a life changing moment !

OK skip the stream and flush!

The best password system is not to remember them. Just use the "forgot my password" link (sometimes the name of your first "Budgie" etc) and get a link sent to a personal email address and reset it each time.

Takes a bit longer but it's an added level of security.

Since I have been using that method my Green Shield Stamp account has remained uncrackable!

Edited by btherein5

Just changed to Steganos Password Manager, it's very good

Too late but interesting further suggestions. 

That forgot technique - I sometimes need to use it anyway but strikes me as too fussy for all uses, especially if dashing to see who's available on AW...

Green Shield stamps, there's an idea that has not yet found its time. When Argos crumbles...

Is it just me or is there something a tad strange about preserving password security etc by feeding them in to a web site which then manages them?

Is it just me or is there something a tad strange about preserving password security etc by feeding them in to a web site which then manages them?

For what it's worth, that's not how lastpass works. It just stores the encrypted password file. It only gets decrypted on your PC.