Charlie2014

Radio Documentary - Why Pay For Sex?

78 posts in this topic

My name is Charlotte and I’m working on a Radio documentary for BBC Radio 4 which will feature people explaining why they pay for sex.

The style of the programme is to hear the voices of people speaking in their own words, with the opportunity of telling their own experiences, rather than a programme led by a presenter with a specific argument to make.

We would like as broad a picture as possible about why people pay for sex and so I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with people even if they don’t want their voices heard on air.

The programme will be broadcast in August, but we are recording the material in June and July.

At this stage, I guarantee that any discussion we have will be kept private. If you are interested in taking part in the programme after I have explained what is involved, I’m happy to discuss how we can use your contribution in a way which makes best use of what you have to say – and if necessary protects your privacy.

If you private message me, I can give you my number and email and we can discuss any questions you might have at this stage.

1 person likes this

Hello Charlotte, Hope we can be of help.

My name is Charlotte and I’m working on a Radio documentary for BBC Radio 4 which will feature people explaining why they pay for sex.

The style of the programme is to hear the voices of people speaking in their own words, with the opportunity of telling their own experiences, rather than a programme led by a presenter with a specific argument to make.

We would like as broad a picture as possible about why people pay for sex and so I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with people even if they don’t want their voices heard on air.

The programme will be broadcast in August, but we are recording the material in June and July.

At this stage, I guarantee that any discussion we have will be kept private. If you are interested in taking part in the programme after I have explained what is involved, I’m happy to discuss how we can use your contribution in a way which makes best use of what you have to say – and if necessary protects your privacy.

If you private message me, I can give you my number and email and we can discuss any questions you might have at this stage.

Hi Charlotte

I think to many here the question is not why do we pay for sex, its why not?  You are starting on the premise that it is wrong, something many here do not feel.

Perhaps you could reconsider your approach.

Good on you. I hope your team looks at punternet content and the industry fairly.  The media tends to believe the industry is all about street walkers and trafficked women, when this is not true.  SW are rare and more people are trafficked for Cockle picking.  But anyway the problem is not paid-for sex nor cockles - it is trafficking.

1 person likes this

This is a typical BBC proposition:

There are so many angles to it:

Why pay for sex versus Why grovel for sex?

or how about

Why pay for sex versus why receive payment for sex

or given that sex has value, it has a price: Why pay for sex versus why not get it another way such as breaking the law and stealing it ( i.e. rape )

which could lead into a discussion of the merits of why people living in the wonderful Union Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland are overwhelmingly law abiding and respectful and don't go around stealing things.

The original proposition comes from an employee of the State, working for an employer which uniquely is not directly accountable to the people who provide the funds to pay for it, but claims to be.

The proposition is a question for academics who define/explain their terms up front without saying nudge nudge, wink wink, send me a PM to find out more.

Avoid this sort of 'research'.

In my view of course, :)

2 people like this

Hi again Charlotte

As per the PM reply I sent to you I'd provisionally be happy to converse with you via PM.

1 person likes this

Easy answer that doesn't really need a BBC documentary.

First of all even if you have a partner you pay for sex in some form or another anyway!  Whether it be goods, kids etc.

Men pay for sex because they like sex, have a high sex drive, like the variety, perhaps don't get any or limited sex with a partner.  Perhaps you will say why not get a date and have free sex but this isn't always easy in this busy high speed world we live in.  Women don't need a man anymore for financial security and can pick and choose. 

1 person likes this

I guarantee that any discussion we have will be kept private.

Coming from a journalist, at least you have a sense of humour. As far as I can tell the only thing that BBC journalists have managed to keep quiet about is the behaviour of Jimmy Saville.

3 people like this

I think a more pertinent question would be "why NOT pay for sex?" If you are horny and its available for cash then why not, it doesnt have to be dissected to death, its  fairly simply matter.

I think a more pertinent question would be "why NOT pay for sex?" If you are horny and its available for cash then why not, it doesnt have to be dissected to death, its  fairly simply matter.

Really, when you think about it, this is so correct. Most men enjoy having sex, its just as simple as that. Why would you not want to have sex with an attractive woman ?

When men ( like women ) like to do something, they normally are prepared to pay a charge to do it. However, there perhaps  are men who would not be prepared to pay to have sex with an attractive woman. Why would that be is the real question ?

1 person likes this

At this stage, I guarantee that any discussion we have will be kept private. ....

And at what stage does that privacy get removed?  You cannot guarantee anonymity, you're a journalist. 

Speaking to a reporter means no impartiality and the topic is subject to journalistic bias. 

I trust journalistic integrity as much as I trust Iain Duncan Smith to look after the poor. 

Edited by WhilstNeroplays
2 people like this

So is this what we pay our TV licence for?

Can I have a rebate then..........................

1 person likes this

one thought Charlotte may not have had is that some punt because they like the fact they are having sex with a hooker.  People have all sorts of kinks, and this is just another one.

Charlotte could also ask why some women go on the game, some are right slappers and some are monagamous.  Its as valid a question as to why men punt.

What else is money for?

Trouble is here.. that over the years people who pay for sex that have involved themselves in discussions with the media have ended up being burned! Is why people.. such as me are distrustful of this offer! See trust is big here.. and I for one do not trust you to be impartial.. You have a boss and they make the decision as to what is aired! Make it a live debate with no censorship and you would get more people accepting the oppourtunity?

2 people like this

I was married for 18 years and paid very handsomely for sex in terms of a family house, a car for the wife, her lifestyle, two kids, my time - and a kings ransom in a divorce settlement when she ran off with a 85 year old bloke (she was 35 - another story for a different day) leaving the kids behind who I then brought up. The kids did fine and both went through uni and have professional careers now.

I still pay for sex but at a very reduced rate in comparison with what the above cost me financially and emotionally. I get my fun now at a price I can afford without any hassle or fear of being trapped into another relationship with the same type of negative complications. Sex should be fun and recreational, not purely procreational.

Too many of my friends trawl bars and nighclubs looking for one night stands and when they do score  / pull the woman they are with she is either desperate, a minger, or too drunk / drugged to know or care what happens to her that particular night - how sad ! I don''t need to be drugged ot drunk to enjoy good sex. My friends, however, would 'never ever pay for sex....'

I've written a presonal  (private) blog on how I rationalised my decision to start paying for sex and if the OP reads this and is interested to PM me I may share this with them.

4 people like this

I was married for 18 years and paid very handsomely for sex in terms of a family house, a car for the wife, her lifestyle, two kids, my time - and a kings ransom in a divorce settlement when she ran off with a 85 year old bloke (she was 35 - another story for a different day) leaving the kids behind who I then brought up. The kids did fine and both went through uni and have professional careers now.

I still pay for sex but at a very reduced rate in comparison with what the above cost me financially and emotionally. I get my fun now at a price I can afford without any hassle or fear of being trapped into another relationship with the same type of negative complications. Sex should be fun and recreational, not purely procreational.

Too many of my friends trawl bars and nighclubs looking for one night stands and when they do score  / pull the woman they are with she is either desperate, a minger, or too drunk / drugged to know or care what happens to her that particular night - how sad ! I don''t need to be drugged ot drunk to enjoy good sex. My friends, however, would 'never ever pay for sex....'

I've written a presonal  (private) blog on how I rationalised my decision to start paying for sex and if the OP reads this and is interested to PM me I may share this with them.

Excellent post !

Your story of the 85 year old sounds very interesting.

As has often be said elsewhere on here, one way or another every man pays for sex, married, partnered or single.

Using SPs is just the most direct method.

Try asking a put-upon husband if all the money he's spent on house, wife, family, holidays, Christmas with the in-laws, next must-have middle class gadget made the initial impetus to have sex with a young lady he fancied was value for money.

Edited by vivluvsme

"I was married for 18 years and paid very handsomely for sex in terms of a family house, a car for the wife, her lifestyle, two kids, my time.............." (Bert)

This view that marital sex is indirectly paid for seems to assume that the wife does not work and therefore does not contribute to the household finances. Surely a stay at-home-wife is unusual these days.  

. However, there perhaps  are men who would not be prepared to pay to have sex with an attractive woman. Why would that be is the real question ?

4 main reasons I think

1. Ego…(I dont pay for it)

2. Social disinformation…(eew they are dirty/druggies/pimped)

3. Shame…(what if someone found out, only pathetic men have to resort to paying for it)

4. Fear…(what if I get beaten up/robbed)

4 also could come under social disinfomation

Thinking any of the above by the way does not mean that a man doesnt want to pay for sex, it just means one of these reasons is stopping him, he can't get past it in his head.

Everyone else is either braver more desperate for a shag or wise enough to know that what you hear is not necessarily the truth and the truth is that 

1. plenty do pay for it and so what

2. dont believe everything you hear

3. how on earth could anyone find ou

4. punting forums

the answer to 4 also could cover any of the previous 3 lol x

4 main reasons I think

1. Ego…(I dont pay for it)

2. Social disinformation…(eew they are dirty/druggies/pimped)

3. Shame…(what if someone found out, only pathetic men have to resort to paying for it)

4. Fear…(what if I get beaten up/robbed)

4 also could come under social disinfomation

Thinking any of the above by the way does not mean that a man doesnt want to pay for sex, it just means one of these reasons is stopping him, he can't get past it in his head.

Everyone else is either braver more desperate for a shag or wise enough to know that what you hear is not necessarily the truth and the truth is that 

1. plenty do pay for it and so what

2. dont believe everything you hear

3. how on earth could anyone find ou

4. punting forums

the answer to 4 also could cover any of the previous 3 lol x

more reasons

cos some men like punting (me).  I enjoy the research, the booking, and writing a review.  and thinking about it afterwards.I dont pretend I am on a date. I am seeing a hooker.  so no envelopes, i give her the cash or stick it in her bra or knickers.

some men dont want a relationship. a hooker you walk away - end of.  even a one night stand could be difficult to disentangle.

some people have disconnected sex from love.  so some just want sex for sex sake, so punt, have fuckbuddies etc.

1 person likes this

Excellent post !

Your story of the 85 year old sounds very interesting.

Is his name Bernie, and does he have an interest in Formula 1?

My name is Charlotte and I’m working on a Radio documentary for BBC Radio 4 which will feature people explaining why they pay for cups of tea.

We would like as broad a picture as possible about why people pay for tea and so I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with people even if they don’t want their voices heard on air.

3 people like this

Although I didn't listen to Rebecca Mott's call for the abolition of prostitution on Radio 4 's "Four Thought" programme, the claims apparently made in it have already been the subject of a thread on this site. Unfortunately, Charlotte's request for input for a Radio 4 documentary seems incredibly vague. Is it in any way connected to the Rebecca Mott broadcast?  Is there some BBC agenda in the background?  Is it simply education or entertainment?   Or in other words, what is the purpose of the programme?

How many times have people in the past on this site been used and have had their time wasted by media people?   

1 person likes this

Dancer, don't you think there is some chance that it is better that she asks people on this site?  The alternative is that they write the same old lies based on made up facts without talking to us.

I still say "good on ya" OP.  I hope I am right.