Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Colonel Bonkers

A New Book

9 posts in this topic

Here's a review in the London Review of Books on the role of the sex worker by Melissa Gira Grant:

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v36/n13/katrina-forrester/blame-it-on-the-management?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=3613&hq_e=el&hq_m=3268286&hq_l=10&hq_v=23ebf6bf33

She's an ex-sex worker turned freelance journalist. The reviewer is an Oxford don who makes rather heavy weather of it all, but both book and review seem to be talking sense.

2 people like this

this looks like an interesting read. thanks :) 

Except that sex work is not illegal in the United Kingdom and despite some aspects of the industry being illegal if you are working legally and not having any dealings with any sort of criminal aspect then you should technically be able to do this too. In the UK sex workers are not criminals. 

Not if you’re a sex worker. Unless, that is, you live in New Zealand, where sex work has been decriminalised. In February its Human Rights Tribunal published a landmark decision siding with a sex worker against her employer and brothel-owner. Advocacy and activist groups believe that such a victory would be impossible in the United States, France, Spain, Sweden, Norway, Ireland, the United Kingdom or the many other places where sex work is illegal or aspects of it are criminalised. Criminals can’t win harassment cases.

Except that sex work is not illegal in the United Kingdom and despite some aspects of the industry being illegal if you are working legally and not having any dealings with any sort of criminal aspect then you should technically be able to do this too. In the UK sex workers are not criminals. 

Not if you’re a sex worker. Unless, that is, you live in New Zealand, where sex work has been decriminalised. In February its Human Rights Tribunal published a landmark decision siding with a sex worker against her employer and brothel-owner. Advocacy and activist groups believe that such a victory would be impossible in the United States, France, Spain, Sweden, Norway, Ireland, the United Kingdom or the many other places where sex work is illegal or aspects of it are criminalised. Criminals can’t win harassment cases.

She doesn't say its illegal in the UK

She doesn't say its illegal in the UK

Looks like it to me. I guess its open to interpretation. The fact that she said "the many OTHER places" implies that she is using the mentioned countries as examples of where sex work is illegal. Its illegal in Norway and most of the United States. Aspects of it are illegal here. I think actually its clear she is lumping the UK into the "where its illegal" bracket.

Looks like it to me. I guess its open to interpretation. The fact that she said "the many OTHER places" implies that she is using the mentioned countries as examples of where sex work is illegal. Its illegal in Norway and most of the United States. Aspects of it are illegal here. I think actually its clear she is lumping the UK into the "where its illegal" bracket.

She is saying that, in the countries she mentions, EITHER:-

"sex work is illegal"

OR:-

"aspects of it are criminalised".

Clearly in the UK it's the latter that applies and I imagine that she knows this.

As I said, its clearly open to interpretation. She should have made herself clearer as how I describes is how it reads to me personally x