pollyp23

Mac Died: Lost Everything?

17 posts in this topic

A friend's Mac has died and won't start up.

Its been to the shop, but they say its dead.

Surely, taking the HDD out and accessing it from another Mac or, even PC would be able to retrieve the data?

Surely, taking the HDD out and accessing it from another Mac or, even PC would be able to retrieve the data?

no backup?  oh dear.

you can get 1Tb of usb storage for under £50 and still people dont back up.

It's not as dark as it seems. You can always remove the HDD and access the data from either a Mac or PC, with an external wire. No worries, some people are skilled at recovering data. Message me if you want more info.

It's not as dark as it seems. You can always remove the HDD and access the data from either a Mac or PC, with an external wire. No worries, some people are skilled at recovering data. Message me if you want more info.

that will depend if its the HD thats broken or something else.  But there are people who can get data off the most damaged bits of kit.  but that will cost you money.

desperate i know.  has you friend triend giving the computer a thump near the hard disk.  might bring it back to life for long enough to extract the files. no promises.  Tekkies call that doing an onlsow after the character in keeping up appearances!

There are tekkies on the board CP :)

There are tekkies on the board CP :)

I will stick to ERP application programming. easier than hardware.

Never trust either apps or hardware. Only trust your skills. And the fucking manual :D

Edited by French Belle

Never trust either apps or hardware. Only trust your skills. And the fucking manual :D

do you have a fucking manual?  I would have thought you would know it inside out by now!

1 person likes this

no backup?  oh dear.

you can get 1Tb of usb storage for under £50 and still people dont back up.

Especially as the Mac OS has Time Machine backup built in, which couldn't be any easier - just plug in a drive and answer "Yes"

It usually takes a catastrophe before you realise how crucial it is to have regular, automated backups.

When my PC went tits up I was able to recover the files I required using TestDisk, took some time but saved a lot of cash, but only problem is that if the HD does not spin-up then it becomes a door stop.

do you have a fucking manual?  I would have thought you would know it inside out by now!

I have a fucking manual for computer issues. Don't need one for fucking guys :lol:

You could use a cable to plug the hard drive into another machine's USB port (without needing to open up the second machine).  Search on ebay for USB to IDE Cable.

You'll probably have to use another mac because I think the file system may not be recognised by Windows (though there may be ways of getting round it).

If the problem is that the drive isn't managing to spin up quick enough for the mac to boot up from it it is sometimes possible to loosen it up by holding it and rotating it gently

As far as I know, a computer that doesn't start up doesn't necessarly involve a dead HDD. Could be any other faulty part : mobo, graphic card, processor... At least is it plugged in ? (I'm not kidding, if you knew the number of failures you can solve like this!)

As has been said there is software that can recover even deleted information from a hard drive although you might have to ask an expert to do it for you. The problem with that is that there may be things on your hard drive that you may not want them to see.

For a long time now I have used an external hard drive and kept the minimum on my pc hard drive. So, thankfully, when my pc gave up the ghost a few months ago I didn't lose anything. I simply purchased a new pc and plugged my external hard drive into it and, hey presto, I was up and running again without a problem and without having to involve a third party.

Might not be any help regarding your present problem but information that might help for the future.

My mac died once. Turned out it was stuck in sleep mode and didnt want to wake up..the nice lady on the phone sorted it out for me remotely x

It just happened to me yesterday actually. Bad luck... I managed to remove the hard drive, which is still functionnal. Now I just need a new horse and a Time Machine :)

There is a way you can tell if the Mac's actually fucked if it's a recent model. Power up and hold down the 'Alt' button. After a few long seconds, you should see the recovery partition show. If the actual Mac OS HDD doesn't show up, it probably means the drive headers are fucked, and that means replacement is easy if a little costly (without warranty) when you go into the Apple store. 

You can use a firewire to firewire cable and restart press 'T'arget mode from another Mac and boot up from there for diagnostics.

As a precaution, and probably too little too late; I buy an external 2nd HD same size or bigger than the internal HDD and use a great cloning software called SuperDuper - use smart copy to the external. That way an exact bootable version of the OS and all the data is cloned on to this external HDD. Should the internal go down at any time, just restart 'Alt' chose the back up drive.

With every Apple Mac i get, I always invest extra in Apple Care. A lot of people begrudge paying the extra money, but 3 years peace of mind on a machine I use for both work & personal it's important to keep it running.

:)

Hope that helps somewhat.