Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Colonel Bonkers

Slow Connection

3 posts in this topic

Can someone explain this?
I'm currently in a rather remote area in the mountains without broadband, so internet connection is slow. What puzzles me is how unpredictable it is which sites will open or not. It's nothing to do with the amount of bandwidth they take up: Facebook opens every time, but Hotmail and Yahoo Mail are both lucky dip. The Indy, which seems generally to have a less efficient system than other leading UK papers, opens every time, while the Telegraph is difficult. Some tiny sites open without difficulty, others won't. In our little world, some punting-related sites seem quite OK, but the mighty Punternet is unpredictable. 

What exactly determines this?

Can someone explain this?

I'm currently in a rather remote area in the mountains without broadband, so internet connection is slow. What puzzles me is how unpredictable it is which sites will open or not. It's nothing to do with the amount of bandwidth they take up: Facebook opens every time, but Hotmail and Yahoo Mail are both lucky dip. The Indy, which seems generally to have a less efficient system than other leading UK papers, opens every time, while the Telegraph is difficult. Some tiny sites open without difficulty, others won't. In our little world, some punting-related sites seem quite OK, but the mighty Punternet is unpredictable. 

What exactly determines this?

I would have though it was the amount of stuff embedded in sites that make them slow.  Sites with embedded advertising - the sort that puts adverts up based on your browsing history - probably would be a problem.

As a general rule, Cov, I'd have thought so too. But, as I said in my OP, it doesn't seem to be working quite like that. Never mind, only another couple of days in this godforsaken place.