Lynn

Personal Messages

18 posts in this topic

Whichever mod/admin individual who has deleted my very recent personal message and reply from a member..... please contact me.

As soon as possible would be appreciated.

hmmmmm

messages reinstated without an explanation......

and..... I am not at all happy with the knowledge that mods/admin can read our "personal" messages.... no matter how much it may be denied.

I can assure you that Mods can not read anyone's messages or have the facility to delete messages then to put them back, no matter what people have said in the past we can not do it.

The only way for a Mod to view a message is if it has been reported or if we get invited to join in the conversation, this does not give us entry to your mail box, setting or any other abilities.

If you are having problems you could have contacted any of us for advice instead of starting a rumour, thanks for that one.

First thing to do is contact G or a Mod, but first change your Password, then change your email account you used to set up your PN account. if you think some one has accessed your account, then run a full on-line virus scan as well.

Also clear out old mail to free up quota space.

All aspects of a computer system can be accessed, by the people who know how to do it. There is no such thing as secrecy or trust in the digital age.

Unless a Mod hacks your PC and knows your PN password we can not gain access to you PN message box, end off. never happened never has, our control panel does not have the facility to do so.

First thing to do is contact G or a Mod, but first change your Password, then change your email account you used to set up your PN account. if you think some one has accessed your account, then run a full on-line virus scan as well.

Also clear out old mail to free up quota space.

There is no need for me to do that.

The messages were nowhere to be seen then they returned.  It could have been a glitch in the system. The nature of the messages (not abusive or malevolent by the way) made me think a mod or the pixies had made them vanish.

I will have to give you the benefit of the doubt regarding reading others' messages.

Not convinced though to be honest. 

May I suggest handbags at dawn to end this dispute in the most noblest of ways? :unsure:

1 person likes this

The messages were nowhere to be seen then they returned.  It could have been a glitch in the system. The nature of the messages (not abusive or malevolent by the way) made me think a mod or the pixies had made them vanish.

I will have to give you the benefit of the doubt regarding reading others' messages.

i bet PN mail is a bloody sight more secure than googlemail

2 people like this

It could be that the person has sent out many pm's to many different people and someone has complained leading to all of those sent at that session being removed due to content.Those wouldnt have to be read,just sent by that person during that time.Unfortunately,if yours was about something different from the other batch there would be no way for anyone else to know this

Do you really think that - even if we could - we could be bothered trawling through PMs ffs?

There is enough to do approving new posts, dealing with reports etc.

2 people like this

There must have been highly suspect content in these emails. Sniffer packages can assess the potential for terrorism and other dodgey folk. So your pm's must have come close to a threat to national security, and were instantly seized on line by top boffins; who had them analysed. Then they were returned. This was possible because for the duration they took over the entire website, servers and all. They even modded and contributed to the forums. All to make it look like things were as normal.

So there are bigger things to be worried about.

What I suspect happened is that you were initially viewing your "New" folder. When a PM thread is new, or has unread replies, it will appear there. Once you have read it, it will disappear from the "New" folder. When you have no new items, the system will then default to your "My Conversations" folder which will show everything, previously read or not. 

Please go back into your PM screen and look at the different folders, and see if that might have been the explanation. It is the only thing I can think of that fits the facts as you have stated them.

Do you really think that - even if we could - we could be bothered trawling through PMs ffs?

There is enough to do approving new posts, dealing with reports etc.

No I do not think that you could be bothered trawling through pms ffs....... but mine was to a member who has just received a warning...... it wasn't any old pm..... it was an M & S.....................

ffs

There must have been highly suspect content in these emails. Sniffer packages can assess the potential for terrorism and other dodgey folk. So your pm's must have come close to a threat to national security, and were instantly seized on line by top boffins; who had them analysed. Then they were returned. This was possible because for the duration they took over the entire website, servers and all. They even modded and contributed to the forums. All to make it look like things were as normal.

So there are bigger things to be worried about.

Yes   no   possibly

:D

What I suspect happened is that you were initially viewing your "New" folder. When a PM thread is new, or has unread replies, it will appear there. Once you have read it, it will disappear from the "New" folder. When you have no new items, the system will then default to your "My Conversations" folder which will show everything, previously read or not. 

Please go back into your PM screen and look at the different folders, and see if that might have been the explanation. It is the only thing I can think of that fits the facts as you have stated them.

It just seemed strange as what you describe above has never happened before.... or I have not been aware of it.

(has JKay really got a handbag?)

Lynn it's possible that your internet connection briefly didn't connect to the server where the messages are stored, thus you couldn't see them, but then you saw them upon reconnection.

No way can the Mods gain access to our pms. In the past when dealing with the odd shifty situation I have contacted a mod because I felt they really needed to help with a situation or be aware of one and the mods in question both times asked me to either add them to the conversation or email them the conversation. They have no access without your approval and even if you do add the into a conversation they can't see your other pms.