Chloe Kisses

Mifi

12 posts in this topic

Hi

If any of you were considering getting a mifi device I can confirm that you dont have to fork out and pay for the more expensive ones. I have just purchased the 29.99 vodafone one from argos and it works a treat, downloads, internet, all fabulous. Being vodafone you do need to get the adult block removed but you can still get on some adult sites such as this one via the proxy websites anyway. Cant get onto adult work but that will be sorted once i call them up.

I know its down to the signal in your area but if you have a semi decent vodafone signal this boosts it no end.Save your pennies, forget the 100 pound ones, this one is a great little thing.

Works in mk, lets see if its as good in coventry today. Currently on sale for a fiver cheaper, 24.99 in argos too, even better x

Mifi - never heard of the things. What differentiates them from a dongle? Do they work internationally?

Mifi - never heard of the things. What differentiates them from a dongle? Do they work internationally?

the dongle you have to attach to your divice but the mifi is similar to a broadband modem but smaller so you can run several devices off it at the same time x

It actually stands for "Mobile WiFi" - I'd post a link but this odd board won't let me!

the dongle you have to attach to your divice but the mifi is similar to a broadband modem but smaller so you can run several devices off it at the same time x

What a good idea, thanks Chloe!

What a good idea, thanks Chloe!

You can also pack it up and take it touring with  you, no more paying extra for a room with wifi or worse, those awful wifis you have to access via the tv and a massive dinosaur keyboard x

How much do you pay for the service? Is it on top of the data you already get through your phone?

Personally I prefer to tether to my phone. I have been with GiffGaff who run on the O2 network for a while now. They allow tethering to your phone if you have a limited data package so.. for £10 I can use my phone and tether it to my laptop as long as I don't consume more than 1GB/month.

Next month they're introducing a £12 3GB/500mins/Ultd texts package which will be perfect for me. There's no way I'll use 500 mins and 3GB is decent enough for £12 and will cover any tethering needed.

How much do you pay for the service? Is it on top of the data you already get through your phone?

Personally I prefer to tether to my phone. I have been with GiffGaff who run on the O2 network for a while now. They allow tethering to your phone if you have a limited data package so.. for £10 I can use my phone and tether it to my laptop as long as I don't consume more than 1GB/month.

Next month they're introducing a £12 3GB/500mins/Ultd texts package which will be perfect for me. There's no way I'll use 500 mins and 3GB is decent enough for £12 and will cover any tethering needed.

Yes all that stuffs just a bit complicated for me. This is simple, buy it plug it in, type in the password. Its a pay as you go one, you can get pay monthly and ones that you pay for the year in advance. Ive got 30 days usage before i need to top up x

Edited by Chloe Kisses

If you use the MiFi to run say a couple of laptops whould the share the same IP address?

If you use the MiFi to run say a couple of laptops whould the share the same IP address?

I assume so. There is a sim card inside is all I know x

Most smartphones provide the wifi/hotspot tethering so just easy to add a larger data bundle and share your connection that way.  If you are gonna be a heavy user then yes is best to get a seperate device to save your battery.

Thanks for this Chloe. Bought one yesterday and it is great. Have WiFi everywhere, really handy when touring.