Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GirlAboutTown

Iphone For Internet Hotspot

10 posts in this topic

Dont know if anyone has posted this before, but if your internet provider goes down, you can make your iPhone a hotspot and connect to it and use its internet, I would recommend only doing this if you have unlimited internet package or it can be pricy, but its not slow and works very well

Dont know if anyone has posted this before, but if your internet provider goes down, you can make your iPhone a hotspot and connect to it and use its internet, I would recommend only doing this if you have unlimited internet package or it can be pricy, but its not slow and works very well

You can do it with any smart phone  I have done it with a samsung galaxy

you do need somewhere with a very good 3g signal or its crap.

but i has a colleague who did this for his internet at home.  but he had an expensive mobile bundle.  he had a mobile mast 100 yards from his house.

It actually depends on the service provider - not all support the hotspot facility. Tesco mobile for example don't - even though they use the o2 network who do. I don't think giffgaff support it either, even though again, they use o2.

I use it to connect my ipad to to the internet if there's no wifi available, but as you say, best to keep tabs on your data usage!

It actually depends on the service provider - not all support the hotspot facility. Tesco mobile for example don't - even though they use the o2 network who do. I don't think giffgaff support it either, even though again, they use o2.

I use it to connect my ipad to to the internet if there's no wifi available, but as you say, best to keep tabs on your data usage!

Well, most (if not all) service providers or MNO (no matter on which network they piggybacking) allow tethering...but only on some price plans and they at the premium!  I don't know of any PAYG or 30 days rolling contract which allow tethering. (Unless somebody can correct me).

It is possible to tether phone to PC/laptop/etc, on any price plan, but after an hour or so it will get disconnected with a followed up text. The problem is: they will cancel your monthly data  allowance also even if it is unlimited, or "all you can eat data"  as a "punishment" for breaking theirs TOC.

Still: some providers are better then others on price plans where tethering strictly not allowed, but you still can get away with it till the point as to download upto 20gb data per month on 3G while connecting it to lappy/PC/tablet, etc.

The most strict are: 

Sainsbury Mobile, GifGaf, Virgin, Talkmobile/CPW, Asda Mobile.

The most lenient, even when you are not  suppose to, but only using occasionally and not taking a pi**:  are all major networks, (apart of Virgin): O2, EE/Orange/Tmobile, Vodafone. However, contract need to be with them directly, (which is more expensive) and not with MNO. (Mobile Network Operator).  

Edited by Xenia

Well, most (if not all) service providers or MNO (no matter on which network they piggybacking) allow tethering...but only on some price plans and they at the premium!  I don't know of any PAYG or 30 days rolling contract which allow tethering. (Unless somebody can correct me).

It is possible to tether phone to PC/laptop/etc, on any price plan, but after an hour or so it will get disconnected with a followed up text. The problem is: they will cancel your monthly data  allowance also even if it is unlimited, or "all you can eat data"  as a "punishment" for breaking theirs TOC.

Still: some providers are better then others on price plans where tethering strictly not allowed, but you still can get away with it till the point as to download upto 20gb data per month on 3G while connecting it to lappy/PC/tablet, etc.

The most strict are: 

Sainsbury Mobile, GifGaf, Virgin, Talkmobile/CPW, Asda Mobile.

The most lenient, even when you are not  suppose to, but only using occasionally and not taking a pi**:  are all major networks, (apart of Virgin): O2, EE/Orange/Tmobile, Vodafone. However, contract need to be with them directly, (which is more expensive) and not with MNO. (Mobile Network Operator).  

I use my phone for tethering which is on a 30 day rolling SIM-only contract with 3.  It seems a bit inconsistent though - I had two tablets and a phone sharing the connection recently but it also displayed a message saying it wouldn't let me tether my iPad (possibly because I have the 3 iOS app loaded on it??)

giff gaff do allow it - depends on your goodybag

no contract. just buy a goodybag each month. I get the £7.50 one.

giff gaff do allow it - depends on your goodybag

no contract. just buy a goodybag each month. I get the £7.50 one.

I stand corrected :)

I know for a fact Tesco don't on any contract, or at least they didn't up to about 2 years ago when I left them for o2 who do allow it. My other half still has a Tesco pay monthly contract and no hotspot / tethering option.

Please excuse my ignorance, but how does the ISP know if you are tethering?

Please excuse my ignorance, but how does the ISP know if you are tethering?

they know the browser so i assume they get it from that.

I have Tesco mobile and personal Hotspot IS supported