Burty

Ios8

14 posts in this topic

I took the plunge and upgraded last night...a couple of things to look out for if anyone else is thinking of doing the same - I'm sure there'll be others but these were standout potential banana skins....

Safari now displays your most frequently visited websites, which you can delete individually but worth bearing in mind

The auto suggest feature when typing messages or replying to posts comes up with interesting words. When I type "pu" for example I get punt and punternet coming up! Typing another couple of words in the right sequence brings up wg names, or Adultwork! Not good if someone is using your device!

I've not looked into ways of switching these features off or removing words from the dictionary yet so if anyone knows, feel free to post here, or I'll update when I've had chance to check further.

1 person likes this

Upgraded already. Mainly to get swiftkey keyboard.

I absolutely loathe the iOS keyboard and swipe typing is so much better and faster. I've noticed one or two bugs and freezes generally but thankfully no noticable extra drain on battery yet. It has been asking me if I want to 'authorise' numerous apps to record my location and data etc. I probably haven't used most of the new features though.

I'm not overly impressed with the new IOS and still hanging in there with my Iphone4 and have no plans to upgrade.

The annoying change was to the storage of photos, no more normal camera roll. You have to create a new album then select which photos you want in them. 

Whoever thought that was a good idea, must be nuts.

Re the quick type feature, I know how to switch it off (settings-general-keyboard-predictive), but can't find if there's a way to edit the library of words it stores...

You can also hide the quick type bar by swiping it downwards. Neither of these are much good for those who may share an ipad / phone and the other user switches on the quick type feature so if this applies to you, be very careful with ios8!

Hopefully there is a way to edit the predictive library and I've just not found it yet...

Also be careful with the location services functions, sharing your location with family and friends and also frequent locations is turned off. Can of worms!

Smart-phones and punting do not go hand in hand. lol

I've just moved over to samsung, after owning an iphone 5s. Many more options to help you, but still almost as bad as IOS, privacy wise. I'm single so don't have same level of stress on privacy issues, but I certainly wouldn't want family/friends to know either.

Buy a cheap punting phone on a PAYGO or sim-only contract line, and use an old non-smart phone. Only way to be safe, I feel.

Regularly deleting your safari history will get rid of most visited sites. and switch off location settings for apps under privacy settings. I would hope you can stop website suggestions or historical suggestions by deleting your history/cookies etc. Autofill - turn that off!

However, FindMyPhone app which is very handy should your phone get stolen or you lose it - you will be tracked/tracable. So if your partner's got your apple ID/password, you're screwed.

However, FindMyPhone app which is very handy should your phone get stolen or you lose it - you will be tracked/tracable. So if your partner's got your apple ID/password, you're screwed.

Everything is pretty much locked down on my phone/ ipad - the quicktype comments were more a warning for others. I've switched it off for now...

My apple ID is known only to me, and I change it regularly. So often I often forget it myself! Definitely one to watch out for, as is the frequent locations feature which defaults to on.

I do have a punting sim, which I use for any new bookings, but the wg's I see most regularly I tend to use my personal phone, as we whatsapp one another occasionally.

1 person likes this

It's been fast for me on iPhone 5 and iPad 4.

I keep all my punting on Mercury Browser and it's a very nice browser with password lock.

I'm not overly impressed with the new IOS and still hanging in there with my Iphone4 and have no plans to upgrade.

I believe the iPhone 4 maxes at 7.1.2, only the 4s and above can upgrade to iOS 8

When I first upgraded my 5s it felt really clunky and disappointing. After a "soft" reset (maintains data) it was significantly better though - top tip for anyone finding iOS 8 slow.

Quick instructions:

Settings / General / Reset / Reset All Settings

You will be advised this will not delete data but you will need to re enter network passwords.

I won't be upgrading to an iPhone 6 though, I'm already queuing at Covent Garden for an iPhone 7 :D I seem to be attracting more interest than the street performers :D

It's been fast for me on iPhone 5 and iPad 4.

I keep all my punting on Mercury Browser and it's a very nice browser with password lock.

+1

I've got 10 third party browsers on my iPhone and Mercury is the best by a mile followed by Atomic.

If it wasn't for Google's appalling privacy issues I do like talking to Google browser, but only in the privacy of my home. That said, I never sign in to Google unless I have to access my YouTube or rarely used Gmail account.

After the failed and recalled 8.0.1 I see 8.0.2 is now available. I'll probably leave this for a few days to ensure no major problems are reported.

DG

Something else I've noticed which could compromise discretion - when you go to the switch apps screen (by pressing the home button twice) - recently used contacts appear across the top of the screen...

The feature can be turned off by going to settings - mail contacts calendars - and switching off 'show in app switcher'

Still haven't found a way to edit the library on quicktype...

1 person likes this

Has anybody else noticed their other storage grows rapidly with the new iOS ?

As I am always on the limit, I keep having to restore the phone to free up space.

Has anybody else noticed their other storage grows rapidly with the new iOS ?

As I am always on the limit, I keep having to restore the phone to free up space.

Must be iOS 8 itself as it's also made for phones with ultra high resolution so high-def textures get loaded up and taking up more space.

Still haven't found a way to edit the library on quicktype...

You can't edit words - I asked Apple.

But you can go into General - Reset - Reset Keyboard Dictionary

It deletes all custom words and makes the device start learning your words again.....

1 person likes this

You can't edit words - I asked Apple.

But you can go into General - Reset - Reset Keyboard Dictionary

It deletes all custom words and makes the device start learning your words again.....

Thanks - I missed that one. Not the best solution in that you lose everything but better than some of the stuff that keeps popping up at the moment!!