Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bert

Ccleaner

11 posts in this topic

The free version does the complete cleaning too. The only thing is you don't have the updates and support apparently. This is a very good software, it would be a shame to drop it ! And you can get support online on tekkies communities if needed.

I've used it for years - excellent freeware!

look here

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

free version still available

Same link as mine -  the 'complete cleaning' is only ticked in the paid for versions , not in the free version.

I've used it for maybe 5 years or more now and complete cleaning was always part of the free package.

Perhaps it's just a marketing ploy.

When you download the free version and install it, the complete cleaning is available.

I use a combination of Toolwiz Care and Ccleaner. Toolwiz is quicker at getting rid of the majority of stuff and Ccleaner gets rid of whats left, a lot quicker than just using Ccleaner. Toolwiz also has some useful tools.

ccleaner does have a facility to 'wipe free space'  - its at the bottom of the tick boxes.

i assume it goes and puts stuff in free space on the disk, removing data that was in deleted files.

donno how effective it is tho.

The best free space wiper is Eraser from Heidi, I use it for securely shredding any sensitive files as it also installs on the right click sub menu.

Easy to select your desired level of wiping too (number of passes) and erase the contents of your recycle bin or erase free space.

http://eraser.heidi.ie/

DG

CCleaner can be faster or slower depending on how many ''passes'' you set it for - if you think NASA could be after you then go for 35. I'm happy with ''Complex'', which is 7 passes (and that's probably overkill for me). <_<

CCleaner can be faster or slower depending on how many ''passes'' you set it for - if you think NASA could be after you then go for 35. I'm happy with ''Complex'', which is 7 passes (and that's probably overkill for me). <_<

On modern disks 1 pass of random data being written should be enough. Precision of manufacturing has increased a lot since 7 or even 35 passes were needed to ensure the head passed over every part of the track being erased.  The physical size of disk that held 40g of data  a few years ago now holds maybe 1TB so all that has changed is the accuracy of read / write head positioning.