Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Beenaboutabit

Switching Broadband To A New Pc

22 posts in this topic

I hope to take delivery of a new (used) pc later this week and want to know what that involves iro internet access. Currently I have Plusnet and their modem transmits to a dongle on my pc. Is it likely to be much of a task getting the new pc 'accepted'?

If the dongle had a software disc run that first then plug the dongle in when requested. If it doesn't have a setup disc it will install itself when you plug it in.

After that just go to your wireless network manager and select your connection and type your password.

DG

ps This is assuming your dongle is compatible with the operating system on your new PC. Ensure you check that first.

Edited by Diamond Geezer
1 person likes this

I hang loads off my plusnet account.  As DG says providing the dongle talks to your PC you should have no issues

(There again your 'new' pc may already have a wireless thingy already in which case you wont need the dongle.

worth saying - if you can get an ethernet cable you will find it a lot faster than relying on the wifi.  but that will depend now close you are to the router and the design of your house.

1 person likes this

Ethernet is best for home use, if your router is not too far away (let's say 10 metres) it's best to get a cheap ethernet cable.

Better yet, post the PC's model so we can have a look at the spec sheet.

-W

1 person likes this

Ethernet is best for home use, if your router is not too far away (let's say 10 metres) it's best to get a cheap ethernet cable.

Better yet, post the PC's model so we can have a look at the spec sheet.

-W

you can get a pair of devices that plug into the mains.  you join your router to one with an ethernet cable, and theo other you join to your computer. they send the signal over the ring main.  better than trailing cables.

1 person likes this

Many thanks, gents. PC has arrived and I'm doing the job in bite sized chunks (for me!). It's a refurbished effort, a Lenovo Thinkcentre Core 2 Duo 2.66Ghz Unit, with Windows 7 and a Dell monitor. It doesn't have an internal wireless card. I've set it up for starters in the kitchen just to see that it works, and amazingly for me it does. Jeeeez!

My current machine is ancient, it was built for me a decade ago, and a bit like some ladies I've known, a cracker in it's time, albeit it would require a tweak or two to get it to work anything beyond Windows XP. My router is right next to the main phone, about 10 feet from the pc, and the dongle is a 150mps TP-Link. I live in the sticks so internet speeds are pedestrian compared with most of you - it's some 3.05mbps at this moment, but reasonably constant these days, so no grumbles with that. I don't have any software with the TP-Link dongle, but unfortunately I didn't watch how the pc buff who installed it went about doing so. All I know is it took seconds ... for him to set it up. Prior to that I had a Lindy USB 2.0 Ethernet Adapter, but I recall that I couldn't get it to work, hence the pc buff who put it to one side and replaced it with the TP-Link.

Sorry if that's all a bit rambling, but I'm trying to sell my house and although the summer rush has gone there seem to be a lot of people about wanting to look at my old place - no doubt most are being nosey but I've shown two around yesterday and one, possibly two are booked to arrive later today, so that doesn't help my changeoever.

I'm also deciding how to transfer files across from one to the other, so I might plague you later on with that issue, but internet first! Cheers, and thanks for your time.  :)

If your router and PC "share a wall" I'd definitely get an Ethernet cable, only a few quid on eBay! Not so handy if they're opposite sides of the room though.

As CP said, the home plugs are great. I have a set which gives me a second wifi connection in the house, the coverage is horrendous from the router and I wouldn't survive without it. The receiving brick has 3 Ethernet ports plus the aforementioned Wifi, bloody brilliant (Devolo).

As far as file transfer goes I'm a manual guy. There are many software packages for migrating between PC's but I prefer to use an external hard drive and move everything manually. On a related subject - do you back up regularly?

DG

1 person likes this

If your router and PC "share a wall" I'd definitely get an Ethernet cable, only a few quid on eBay! Not so handy if they're opposite sides of the room though.

As CP said, the home plugs are great. I have a set which gives me a second wifi connection in the house, the coverage is horrendous from the router and I wouldn't survive without it. The receiving brick has 3 Ethernet ports plus the aforementioned Wifi, bloody brilliant (Devolo).

As far as file transfer goes I'm a manual guy. There are many software packages for migrating between PC's but I prefer to use an external hard drive and move everything manually. On a related subject - do you back up regularly?

DG

I do back-up quite often, but as I'm not a techie at all I do it manually about once a fortnight, but with the files I'm bothered about I do them every time I finish any work on them. Let me explain - I write novels for a hobby, as yet, and there's the best part of a million words worth up to now. I tinker with the 'still in progress' stories when the fancy takes me and back-up whenever that happens.

I'll look into the plugs mentioned, sometimes with having no-one to bounce ideas off what will be easy to most of you takes a while for the coin to drop with me. Being no longer in a work environment there is no cross-fertilisation of ideas, my mates are either dead or dead as far as pc's go and believe it or not they'd ask me for ideas if they did!!  :D

you can get a pair of devices that plug into the mains.  you join your router to one with an ethernet cable, and theo other you join to your computer. they send the signal over the ring main.  better than trailing cables.

Many thanks. Currys PC World for those and a chat do you think?

Right gents, and truly many thanks.

From reading your posts I did get a better idea of what I was trying to do.

So, I tried to download some software for my existing dongle but couldn't transfer it to any CD etc to get it to the new pc. From there, while doing my asda shopping, I saw another dongle same make as mine, but this had a set-up disk with it - I bought it, and an hour later was on the web. Now that might be a waste of £12.50 but it has done the trick, I now have two pc's on the web, two dongles, one disk, and, so far, I am delighted with the refurbished, Lenovo unit. It is fast, almost silent, and when compared to my old one with its dying fan it is almost eerie.

As for the transfer of data from one to the other, I saw some 16Gb memory sticks, San Disk Cruzer Blade and was going to use one to move the more useful items across - would that be a safe way to do it, and is the make, Sand Disk, one to use? Cheers.

If it works for you then £12.50 is hardly a waste. Just because the new one is the same make doesn't mean your older dongle was Win7 compatible anyway.

Sandisk is an extremely reputable manufacturer, no problems with that.

However, depending on how much data you have it could take many shunts with a 16GB memory stick. Without knowing how much data you have it's difficult to advise. Personally I have 2 external hard drives of 1 and 2TB that I backup to. I also store some stuff in the cloud.

Glad you're up and working with the new machine :)

DG

Edited by Diamond Geezer

If it works for you then £12.50 is hardly a waste. Just because the new one is the same make doesn't mean your older dongle was Win7 compatible anyway.

Sandisk is an extremely reputable manufacturer, no problems with that.

However, depending on how much data you have it could take many shunts with a 16GB memory stick. Without knowing how much data you have it's difficult to advise. Personally I have 2 external hard drives of 1 and 2TB that I backup to. I also store some stuff in the cloud.

Glad you're up and working with the new machine :)

DG

Many thanks for that. :)

My storage isn't masive it is mainly MS Word folders and that sort of thing plus My Documents and My PIctures; from what I can tell about 20Gb in all. Onto that can be added programs, some of which I won't insert on the new pc, and I have all the disks for those. I take the point about an external hard drive I recall getting one a few years ago for my daughter for her laptop, I'll look hard at that possibility.

Again, many thanks to you all for your replies, they are always very welcome.

Many thanks for that. :)

My storage isn't masive it is mainly MS Word folders and that sort of thing plus My Documents and My PIctures; from what I can tell about 20Gb in all. Onto that can be added programs, some of which I won't insert on the new pc, and I have all the disks for those. I take the point about an external hard drive I recall getting one a few years ago for my daughter for her laptop, I'll look hard at that possibility.

Again, many thanks to you all for your replies, they are always very welcome.

consider a network drive.  it plugs into your router and you can then make it a drive letter on each pc on the network.

this is an example - http://www.netstoredirect.com/freecom-hard-drives/45440-freecom-network-drive-xs-2tb-4021801329714.html?gclid=CNbLl7fFk8ECFdTLtAodjg0AVQ

consider a network drive.  it plugs into your router and you can then make it a drive letter on each pc on the network.

this is an example - http://www.netstoredirect.com/freecom-hard-drives/45440-freecom-network-drive-xs-2tb-4021801329714.html?gclid=CNbLl7fFk8ECFdTLtAodjg0AVQ

That looks very handy. One way or the other I might yet get pulled into the 21st Century! Cheers. :)

i have a freecome drive. it just sits by the router and does what it says on the tin. 

Don't want to hijack BAAB's thread but can you go into a little more detail where you would find these devices, please? I am a cables across the hall person and even i know that is not a good idea.

(PS. CP, I would have PM'd you about it but box full - and would also have PM'd you for update on what TemptNton flat looks like now, esp shower. I hated the one with the clammy plastic curtain before they moved in.)

Edited by vivluvsme

Don't want to hijack BAAB's thread but can you go into a little more detail where you would find these devices, please? I am a cables across the hall person and even i know that is not a good idea.

(PS. CP, I would have PM'd you about it but box full - and would also have PM'd you for update on what TemptNton flat looks like now, esp shower. I hated the one with the clammy plastic curtain before they moved in.)

ill clear out inbox. sorry

try maplins.  they definitely have them.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/devolo-dlan-500mbps-wifi-single-powerline-adapter-and-wireless-extender-n49qg

I have not used one of these so caveat emptor. they have several types and specs.

but i think pc world have them too

Thanks. I see now I missed a few postings as DG mentioned the devices too.

Apropos nothing, I was impressed with myself Friday morning successfully resetting my router when i found there was no connection.

I was less impressed when my paid-for Panda anti-virus told me it had expired when I only renewed it for the year in mid August and then it said the login details I have had for 14 years had been disabled. Still I had nice chat with a lady in Florida who took over my PC and basically uninstalled and re-installed the program and while it did things we chatted about Windows (she hadn't heard of Windows 10!!) and weather patterns and things like that on a free-toll number that went on about 25 minutes.

(CP I have already put my question in my previous posting so no need to clear inbox. Surprised I haven't seen the devices in Maplin as they know me in the Northampton store as I park my car there when going into town and often wander around aisle shopping but not buying (unless it's yet another end of line solar outside light).

ill clear out inbox. sorry

try maplins.  they definitely have them.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/devolo-dlan-500mbps-wifi-single-powerline-adapter-and-wireless-extender-n49qg

I have not used one of these so caveat emptor. they have several types and specs.

but i think pc world have them too

I found Maplin tend to be quite expensive, and similar products usually can be found much cheaper elsewhere. Here is one for example  for almost half price even with a delivery.

They are absolutely brilliant BTW, much better then wireless card or dongle. I am getting the same speed as when PC connected directly to router through ethernet cable.

I've enjoyed this thread most of any. It's suddenly opened my eyes to numerous possibilties which are not out-of-the-way expensive, but would make things a lot better for me, and also my two 'children' when they are both with me and wanting access to the web and different tv programmes on. They are quite civilised about it all, but I can now see a way to suit all occasions.

One of the problems is that things have moved on massively in a short space of time, and having just got computerate to a modest extent I'm again suddenly light years from being up-to-date. I must make a point of looking in here more often.

Btw, some years ago in order to get an understanding of just how pc's work, I had the idea of building myself a modest spec pc from scratch. One of my nephews did so and he reckoned I could do it as long as I took my time and read up well about it first. Have any of you built your own? If so what would you guess the degree of difficulty would be on a scale of 1-10?

Lastly, in my time I passed more exams on Data Processing than anyone I know, and did so having never having switched a computer on! I also came way up the list in a Civil Service 'Computer Aptitude Test', beating many who were already writing computer programs, but I've never written a smidgeon of a program - says much for exams, eh? :)

I'd recommend the Devolo homeplug kits. Check eBay but PCWorld/Currys are reasonable. Very easy to do a simple setup with a new WiFi point.

Beyond the simple setup I recommend renaming the WiFi SSID's (the name of the individual WIFi connection you see in your list of wireless networks) if you use iPhones or iPads though. For some reason they will hold on to a very weak network rather than switch to stronger one and only switch one they lose the weaker connection altogether.

If your router and home plugs have the identical SSID and PASSWORD the iDevices switch seemlesly to whichever is the stronger signal.

DG

Just a little point to note as I continue with my efforts, and that is the connection wireless message is now 'Excellent' on both machines. It had only very briefly been that on the old machine running alone and often it was 'low', but now it and the new one are 'Excellent' and it shows!! Could the two working in tandem or the new dongle of 300mbps (old one 150mbps) have influenced the signal? Whatever, it's good news!