Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Beenaboutabit

Indoor Tv Aerials

19 posts in this topic

If I go outside my front door and turn 90degrees to the left I can see two transmitters about 2or3 miles away and I receive my tv signals from there. For reasons I won't go into I don't want any more leads from the aerial in my loft and was looking to get a small indoor aerial for my 'office' - would the proximity of the transmitter help and have any of you got a make you could recommend? Cheers. (will look in again tomorrow.)

why bother?  just watch online.

but for television reception this blog is good

uktvfree.tv

why bother?  just watch online.

but for television reception this blog is good

uktvfree.tv

Can you get freeview online? I don't think so.

I thought satellite was the way to go but when I had freesat installed I wasn't told the man was going to remove my roof aerial and now it looks like freeview is knocking spots off freesat.

And when you are watching online you can't be doing computer things.

As far as I know.

I thought satellite was the way to go but when I had freesat installed I wasn't told the man was going to remove my roof aerial and now it looks like freeview is knocking spots off freesat.

As far as I know.

i use tvguide.co.uk to see whats on telly

it has a link by each channel to watch online -where this is available

not all freeview channels are online.  Dave isnt.

Why not get a proper cable? Would have better signal than aerials for sure.

-W

I've had good results with this set-top aerial: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2871794.htm

It's from Argos (but currently only mail-order) so why not just try them and return them if no good?

This might be a suitable one to try from the shop: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1074815.htm

If you're that close to the transmitter your problem might be too strong a signal, not too weak.

I've had good results with this set-top aerial: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2871794.htm

It's from Argos (but currently only mail-order) so why not just try them and return them if no good?

This might be a suitable one to try from the shop: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1074815.htm

If you're that close to the transmitter your problem might be too strong a signal, not too weak.

if thats the case you get an attenuator. its like putting a resistor in the Ariel cable.

(Actually an attenuator is the same as a resistor.  but we call them attenuator when its AC, resistor when DC.- sorry too technical)

I'm back on the case and taking in the details. Be in touch soon.  :)

I use a guide too but Dave is my absolute top channel. It seems at loggerheads with streaming companies so I lost it for a while but have now found another 'provider'.

I just am annoyed freesat is being outdone by freeview when I jumped the other way (and was also pushed by unexpected removal of aerial),

Cable yes of course - I'll just ring someone to get it installed in our town...

Will look at the internal aerial idea again given the Argos suggestion - I have some sort of big aerial tower in sight from a hill just outside the town but mine is a notorious greyspot for reception.

I use a guide too but Dave is my absolute top channel. It seems at loggerheads with streaming companies so I lost it for a while but have now found another 'provider'.

I just am annoyed freesat is being outdone by freeview when I jumped the other way (and was also pushed by unexpected removal of aerial),

Cable yes of course - I'll just ring someone to get it installed in our town...

Will look at the internal aerial idea again given the Argos suggestion - I have some sort of big aerial tower in sight from a hill just outside the town but mine is a notorious greyspot for reception.

check any ariel you get is the right group for your area.  There are multiband ariels that work with any group. You can check your transmitter band here

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/nationwidetransmitters.html#TransmitterList

Sutton Coldfield is Group B Horozontally polarised.

They put all the frequencies for an area in similar frequencies. 

An TV ariel is a long pole with shorter poles at right angles called dipoles.  The distance between the dipoles is set by the frequency.

You also need to know if the signal you are receiving is vertically or horizontally polarised.  The site I quoted above will tell you that.  If the transmitter is horizontally polarised then the dipoles need to be horizontal.  otherwise they need to be vertical. Look at other peoples ariels on their roofs to find out.

(Main transmitters are horozontal, local ones are vertical)

and note what I said above about perhaps needing an attenuator if the signal is very strong.

lastly you need to make sure your ariel is pointing at the transmitter.

and if the signal is so strong your telly may just work with a wire coat hanger stuck in the ariel socket.  worth a try before spending good punting money on a proper ariel!

I remember the days when a bent metal coat hanger could do the job; what price progress heh!?!?

You can get Dave online if you search hard enough  ;)

If I go outside my front door and turn 90degrees to the left I can see two transmitters about 2or3 miles away and I receive my tv signals from there. For reasons I won't go into I don't want any more leads from the aerial in my loft and was looking to get a small indoor aerial for my 'office' - would the proximity of the transmitter help and have any of you got a make you could recommend? Cheers. (will look in again tomorrow.)

If you really don't want to put an aerial outside or in the loft and are as close to the transmitter as you say then try one of the One-for-all antennas. http://www.oneforall.co.uk/ You can enter your post code and/or select your distance from the transmitter and get a list of suitable antennas. They work reasonably well - have done for me - and Maplin and Currys also sell them.

Useful link - unfortunately for me it says nearest transmitter 43 km away so I don't know what the tower near me is for.

Useful link - unfortunately for me it says nearest transmitter 43 km away so I don't know what the tower near me is for.

Probably telephones, or GCHQ listening to all your conversations.

Probably telephones, or GCHQ listening to all your conversations.

Yes, I have had my suspicions with odd gents in gaberdine raincoats coming to my door pretending to be looking for a good-time girls.

It's been a learning curve...

As far as I know.

You can get most UK TV channels live and lots of others - Google filmon and scroll to UK TV Live when You are on their website!

Streaming quality always sucks though compared to a decent Freeview HD signal through the TV, plus you either have to watch it on your computer or faff about hooking it up to the telly. Plus I like to watch and surf so need two screens.

Thanks SW, I thought I had already done well with the streaming channels I only came across in January this year. I had no idea about it all before that.

I had been so excited the previous summer waiting for BTSport too - then it was a complete farce and a failure on the first night.

I will explore your suggestion.

S I found it easy to work out how to hook it up to the TV but as you say it is still on the PC so certainly both units are taken up which is a minus point.

Edited by vivluvsme