Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carnival

Parliamentary Question About National Ugly Mugs Scheme

5 posts in this topic

This written parliamentary question was asked by Dr Julian Huppert (Lib Dem, Cambridge) on 15-10-2014:
To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what assessment her Department has made of (a) the outcomes and ( :cool: the cost-effectiveness of the National Ugly Mugs Scheme.

It was answered by: Norman Baker (Minister of State, Home Department; Liberal Democrat, Lewes) on 22 October 2014:

The National Ugly Mugs Scheme is a national mechanism for reporting crimes committed against people involved in prostitution. The Home Office funded a pilot that ran from April 2012 to March 2013, co-ordinated by the UK Network of Sex Worker Projects. The evaluation of the pilot is available on their website: uknswp.org

The Home Office does not collate figures on criminal justice outcomes or cost-effectiveness as a direct result of the National Ugly Mugs Scheme, although informally the scheme is widely regarded as a useful one. It is continuing with funding from sources other than the Home Office.

http://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/written-questions-answers-statements/written-question/Commons/2014-10-15/210685/

Good that they're continuing with its funding.

A crumb of sense from the Home Office on prostitution for once. Who'd have guessed?

I don't think the Home Office is funding it.

From the report:

"The National Ugly Mugs (NUM) pilot scheme is a national mechanism for reporting crimes
committed against sex workers. The scheme was funded by the Home Office from April 1st 2012 to March 31st 2013."

From the uknswp web-site:

"This Pilot was a huge success and as a result the UKNSWP has sought out other sources of funding to keep NUM in operation."

Their justgiving page has some interesting contributions including vivastreet. Boris Johnson has put some funding in, obviously not using his own money, but the London Assembly's. Ugly mugs seems like a good charity for anyone with more than 325k to include in a will, not that anyone wants to think about that on here. And we're surely all keeping our net worth below that number anyway. But you never know, if heaven has hookers, they might show their appreciation . . .

I tried setting up a Direct Debit with justgiving  It failed, I had to contact them and it took weeks  of justgiving support to reset my account so that I could use it.  I gave up and eventually got the bank details from the UKNSWP and make monthly DD donations.