english rebecca69

Why Is There No...

14 posts in this topic

regions for south west , wales or other areas?

It was Galahad's decision when he revamped the forum.

The city list has expanded since then with Birmingham added, for example.

Worth sending him a message/posting suggesting it to see if it is something on his to-do list or if he has set himself against it.

The Techie Stuff/Board Operations forum seems a natural place to raise the question as a potential improvement.

I have seen other comments on here saying the same sort of thing.

On the face of it, it would be an improvement but I think it's a matter of volume. How frequent would posts relating to the south west be? Even the Birmingham (8 posts in the last fortnight) and Glasgow (nothing in the last week) threads are fairly sparse. There are a tiny number of requests for information related to the south west so it probably makes sense to keep them in the general section which is fairly manageable as it is.

But, as Viv says, there's no harm in asking  :)

Hmm, Glasgow has never been busy but Birmingham is catching up it up rapidly on no. of replies and is second in no. of topics so it seems active enough.

Manchester has the LBB which is why such a busy parlour scene is so under-used.

Mk is based on the who have you seen thread, which is a little limited but is very popular like the London Soho thread.

The regional division does seem to work on another punting forum and if one area is not busy there's no harm done but the opportunity is there for postings and perhaps more likelihood of responses.

It is the quiet regions that need the most help to make the most of what is available locally.

I think regions are the only way to have a forum. It is easy to setup and administrate. For the posters and readers it is very logical.

The way it is at present, can be hard work for us Users. For example, Walsall - is it part of Birmingham?  Is the city of Wolverhampton in the "immediate vicinity" of the larger neighbour?  There are many towns/areas/boroughs close to Brum but not part of the City. The same can be said for Manchester etc.  Using regions would be less ambiguous and more useful.

I do not want to start a geographical debate. However, I accept there are some places on regional boundaries. But ordinarily, upgrading to regions would make this forum even better.

I think regions are the only way to have a forum. It is easy to setup and administrate. For the posters and readers it is very logical.

The way it is at present, can be hard work for us Users. For example, Walsall - is it part of Birmingham? Is the city of Wolverhampton in the "immediate vicinity" of the larger neighbour? There are many towns/areas/boroughs close to Brum but not part of the City. The same can be said for Manchester etc. Using regions would be less ambiguous and more useful.

I do not want to start a geographical debate. However, I accept there are some places on regional boundaries. But ordinarily, upgrading to regions would make this forum even better.

I agree with you, I'm from Wolverhampton myself and see your point!

There are so many towns near and around Birmingham which aren't listed but I know there will be WGs in.

It's the same with Adultwork a lot of girls put Birmingham on their profile rather than the small town they're in as it picks up in more searches.

I'd agree regional sections would be better than city (London excepted). In the NW area for example there are a few wg's who work Manchester and also other parts of the NW. It think it would be easier to post and find relevant information within a NW section instead of looking in Manchester and then searching through the main part of the forum for Liverpool, Chester or Preston...

There is a MASSIVE thread for wales. It's not very active but that;s probably due to the sheer size of it

There is a MASSIVE thread for wales. It's not very active but that;s probably due to the sheer size of it

Gosh yes, never noticed that one and it's 3.5 years old. I wonder if it would do better if the posters started new threads so others knew there was a new topic on there? I see there is another more recent Welsh one active too,

i  ment in the subforum area

No it is because South Wales has been very quiet of late.

One large thread is OK as there is the Search facility.

Also that one thread is like a Punting History of the area, good and bad!

Gosh yes, never noticed that one and it's 3.5 years old. I wonder if it would do better if the posters started new threads so others knew there was a new topic on there? I see there is another more recent Welsh one active too,

No it is because South Wales has been very quiet of late.

One large thread is OK as there is the Search facility.

Also that one thread is like a Punting History of the area, good and bad!

no scuthorpe thread...

or wetwang.

In case you are interested, I have started added a request for regionalisation on the Techie board, top pinned thread.

It would be helpful if people added their views, for or against, to show the general views of posters.

To me, now Rebecca69 has mentioned it, it is a no brainer that will much better serve all those Pnet people who do not live in the big cities and want to easily share information local to themselves.

No doubt the mods would be particularly interested to hear the views of the debauched residents of Wetwang, if there are any.