sticko

Punting Superstitions

44 posts in this topic

I wear a certain pair of red socks when I have big work meetings to run. They give me a completely irrational sense of reassurance because one day I wore them and a pitch went extremely well.

I've now developed the same superstition about punting though. I'm in a bit of a purple patch at the minute, both in terms of the women I'm meeting and the sessions themselves. Increasingly I'm putting this down to a specific pair of stripy American Apparel jersey boxers that are now my punting pants, and I'm honestly worried about what happens when they wear out.

I know this isn't terribly unusual - we like to attach meaning where there isn't any as it creates a pattern and logic for our Stone Age brains. The question though is what rituals and superstitions do the board have when they punt? Obviously the more daft the better.

I've no doubt this has been covered before but not for a while I think. And if anyone can provide me with tips for maintaining my underwear to a punt worthy standard I'd appreciate it!

S

My punting superstitions include

1  Wear the same pair of pants for three days

2  Don't shower for at least a week

3  Wear socks with multiple holes; one for each toe is quite good

4  Look as scruffy as possible when you ring the door bell

5  Cleaning teeth or using mouth wash is definitely very unlucky

6  Don't bother with deodorant

With those guidelines, you should have a very fulfilling punting career ahead of you!

2 people like this

I agree mainly with Poker Paul.

1 Wear the same pair of pants for three days

2 Don't shower for at least a week

3 Wear socks with multiple holes; one for each toe is quite good

4 Look as scruffy as possible when you ring the door bell

5 Cleaning teeth or using mouth wash is definitely very unlucky

6 Don't bother with deodorant

EXCEPT number 4 , Instead of "scruffy"when ringing the bell, I prefer "furtive".

There is something in it. In that punting can become a comforting and predictable routine, and anything that upsets that could be viewed as bad luck.

Very serious subject this....

For every good punt you have, treat yourself to a new pair of punting pants - that way you'll build up a collection associated with good punts so the good luck chain won't be broken.

Then rotation is key - and your punting pants should last you for ages. I have a collection I only wear for punting and it works very well!

:)

Okay not punting exactly but parlour/working house superstition is that if you put a green lit candle near the door it encourages money through it, probably some feng shui thing.

"money on the floor brings money to the door" if you ever see a pile of change randomly thrown into a corner near the door now you know why its there.

In brazil they fill a bowl with warm water and something to make bubble, while its filling you stir it with one finger and say a pray, then you go to the front door, open it, stand with your back to the door and throw the water out of the door between your legs. THAT is apparently also meant to bring the customers in. 

Yes, Ive seen all of these done over the years lol...its probably not true, of course its not true, but one very quiet day we were all fed up and a Brazilian girl did the soapy water trick, by the time she had put the bowl back in the sink and sat down all three phones were ringing off the hook lol

I have been personally guilty of the candle and change superstitions too  :P

Always a cup of coffee at Paddington Station if punting in London.

1 person likes this

I pee on a tree on my way if there is one, and with all the parks in London there is normally one. I feel like marking my territory.

Edited by athousandpunts

Always a cup of coffee at Paddington Station if punting in London.

Men smelling of coffee or chocolates when you kiss them is rather nice.  And with a dab of perfume on the neck....

I try not to forget my trusty can of WD40! Helps prevent the Squeaky Bed Syndrome. :D

I wear a certain pair of red socks when I have big work meetings to run. They give me a completely irrational sense of reassurance because one day I wore them and a pitch went extremely well.

I've now developed the same superstition about punting though. I'm in a bit of a purple patch at the minute, both in terms of the women I'm meeting and the sessions themselves. Increasingly I'm putting this down to a specific pair of stripy American Apparel jersey boxers that are now my punting pants, and I'm honestly worried about what happens when they wear out.

I know this isn't terribly unusual - we like to attach meaning where there isn't any as it creates a pattern and logic for our Stone Age brains. The question though is what rituals and superstitions do the board have when they punt? Obviously the more daft the better.

I've no doubt this has been covered before but not for a while I think. And if anyone can provide me with tips for maintaining my underwear to a punt worthy standard I'd appreciate it!

S

I knew a guy who would wear red socks all the time: he was rather mysterious as if he was part of some 'unique' group.  Red socks, or not, I was not attracted to him......

1 person likes this

Mmmm.... coffee isn't good for the breath after a while.... ;)

No superstitions apart from crossing my fingers that she won't laugh at my underpants.

Men smelling of coffee or chocolates when you kiss them is rather nice.  And with a dab of perfume on the neck....

I like your unambitious standards!

Until you spoil it with the perfume but I will save up.

I have no superstitions (other than right pad on first when playing cricket obviously) and I instead rely on my long-cultivated ability to pick brilliant girls to see through vast experience and an ability to forget the bad choices.

I thought the coins in the corner thing was an oriental superstition given where I have usually seen it but for good luck more than money. I feel less sullied that I have often picked up a coin for a cogffee or hot chocolate before punting with anabelle...

in my dreams,

Edited by vivluvsme

Always go to the right side of the bed and tell the lady to move over to your side.  Ok I do wonder over to the other side but I sleep on one side and always have to enter the bed on the right.  It doesn't matter which way I enter the woman though!! :)

I knew a guy who would wear red socks all the time: he was rather mysterious as if he was part of some 'unique' group.  Red socks, or not, I was not attracted to him......

So a man with just reds socks on and nothing else is a turn off Annabelle?  You don't want a man to make love to you with just his socks on then!  I was thinking this was a ladies dream.

I have no superstitions (other than right pad on first when playing cricket obviously) and I instead rely on my long-cultivated ability to pick brilliant girls to see through vast experience and an ability to forget the bad choices.

I thought the coins in the corner thing was an oriental superstition given where I have usually seen it but for good luck more than money. I feel less sullied that I have often picked up a coin for a cogffee or hot chocolate before punting with anabelle...

in my dreams,

you are meant to throw them into the corner then NOT touch them. If they are moved the spell is broken and you have to rethrow them

So a man with just reds socks on and nothing else is a turn off Annabelle?  You don't want a man to make love to you with just his socks on then!  I was thinking this was a ladies dream.

there used to be a member here called redsocks or redsox as he always wore his lucky red punting socks. Sadly he no longer posts

Edited by Chloe Kisses
1 person likes this

I always take my lucky wardrobe and diving suit with bronze helmet!

DG

Edited by Diamond Geezer

"money on the floor brings money to the door" if you ever see a pile of change randomly thrown into a corner near the door now you know why its there.

yeah they do this in soho...

for me, its stuff like are all the lights on green when i drive there, or if i arrive onto the train or tube platform as the train pulls in, perfect timing is a sign of the perfect order of the day, the stars aligned etc...

things going wrong can be taken as a sign that maybe i shouldnt be doing it...

there used to be a member here called redsocks or redsox as he always wore his lucky red punting socks. Sadly he no longer posts

Perhaps his socks required a good wash at 40 deg C and then a rinse cycle!

He was a guy I met as a civvie and he would invite me to go to ROH for example (making me save over £100 for the good seat I would think twice if I was to throw this money away), until I realised that he wanted more and I did not fancy him.  And I doubt he bought the tickets either, more like some 'corporate' advantages.

in my dreams,

I almost gave up on reading your post, until you mentioned my name at the end and I was thinking 'what is he on'?  Thank God for 'in my dreams'.  It put things straight  :D  :D  :D

does "counting the money" a million times before leaving count  :eek:

never want to face that situation of "excuse me dear but you are £20 short"

Having a stonking hot shower just before leaving always helps relax me. Especially as i'll have to tramp up to the appointment on the filthy tube 

Edited by SirP

does "counting the money" a million times before leaving count  :eek:

never want to face that situation of "excuse me dear but you are £20 short"

Having a stonking hot shower just before leaving always helps relax me. Especially as i'll have to tramp up to the appointment on the filthy tube 

Having a shared shower on arrival is even better. Then you can both be sure that all the working parts are fully cleaned!