Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Silverado

Channel 4 Tonight: "24 Hours In Police Custody" - Brothel Raid

19 posts in this topic

Tonight at 9.00 on Channel 4 -   "24 Hours in Police Custody"

"Documentary series. Three sex workers are arrested during a raid on a local brothel. Are the women victims, or are they running the brothel and exploiting others".

I missed some of it, but they never seemed to mention who owned or rented the premises? The black woman had such a deep voice she was a bit scary! Wouldn't want to piss her off while she was giving me a massage...  :eek:

I missed some of it, but they never seemed to mention who owned or rented the premises? The black woman had such a deep voice she was a bit scary! Wouldn't want to piss her off while she was giving me a massage...  :eek:

The case against the woman in question was dropped by the CPS due to lack of sufficient evidence and as such I am guessing they put a voice over on her voice to hide her identity given the nature of the bust.

I watch this documentary and have noticed that even when an individual is not charged by the police their true voices is still shown so to reiterate I think due to the nature of the bust they chose to hide her true identity, (children/reprisals etc)

I am sure she in fact sounded like Ms Monroe you know all breathy and girly.

I liked the dancers pole for what it is worth.

For me the most outstanding part of this documentary was the police officer who had his legs removed but instead of thinking "my life is over" thought "hell no I will keep on keeping on" and that is what he has done, he has a great sense of humour in particular referencing Luton, lovely place but having visited I knew where he was coming from with "true romantics right here in Luton".

In relation to the actual brothel bust, it is what it is.

In custody for 24hrs???? They obviously didnt get a good solicitor then?

I don't think that they did. If the 2 EE prostitutes had gone "No Comment" then I doubt very much that the CPS would have pursued an "assisting" case. In the circumstances it was a result for the police to get the 2 cautions.

The third girl had previous and obviously knew the score. This was the Paradise Sauna in Luton which featured in one of the programmes "Gail Porter on Prostitution" in 2010. The black girl was involved in that raid as well.

The police should have gone for the lesser charge of "assisting" rather than "managing". My understanding is that they were relying on the admissions/evidence of the other 2 girls to secure a conviction against her in court. The brothel was closed as a result of a closure order issued by the magistrates. The girls couldn't be found prior to the court date and so the CPS pulled it.

The duty sergeant should have just taken the handwriting samples, compared them for himself, and assuming a likely match then got a formal analysis on basis that expense incurred likely to result in conviction for management.

POCA the offender and recover expense from proceeds of that as legitimate and relevant.

The duty sergeant should have just taken the handwriting samples, compared them for himself, and assuming a likely match then got a formal analysis on basis that expense incurred likely to result in conviction for management.

POCA the offender and recover expense from proceeds of that as legitimate and relevant.

I doubt that positive handwriting results would have made much of a difference to the CPS's decision. The alleged manageress could have argued that she did most of the writing because her written English was better than that of the Albanian and Lithuanian girls.

The police did a poor job.They didn't do their homework prior to the raid, and their attitude seemed to be to turn up and see if anyone's obviously managing the place. What they found was one prostitute with the keys and the other 2 taking bookings. We were told that despite lengthy interviews they'd still not found sufficient evidence to charge any of them with being the madam. That's obviously why Sgt.Taylor wanted to take handwriting samples.

The interviewing officer wasn't very impressive.

"Did you ask them about the phones?"   

"No"

"Did you ask them about the cash?"

"No"

Even if they'd gone down the POCA route, I doubt that the alleged manageress actually made much from managing. She was working the rooms so she'd probably argue that any additional financial benefit to her from managing was minimal, especially as the other girls had admitted "assisting".  POCA proceedings are expensive, and given the recovery prospects just wouldn't be worth the extra cost.

2 people like this

The (senior) coppers rightly were not arsed to lift a finger as there was no hint of coercion.

UP

Interesting how the two EE working girls took a caution for helping to run a brothel ( hence got criminal records ) and the woman who may have been in charge went to court and got off for insufficient evidence

Lesson : Accepting a caution is not getting away with it!

which wouldnt be that easy if it had all been western unionised and now currently in grannys mattress somewhere in the EE. A lot of people earn money in this country but dont keep any of it here

It's in reference to the time the police can hold someone without charge,not always the actual amount of time they are held.How the interviews are conducted,case built,discussions with the cps over wether they can get them to press charges etc.

which wouldnt be that easy if it had all been western unionised and now currently in grannys mattress somewhere in the EE. A lot of people earn money in this country but dont keep any of it here

Except the girl who appeared to be more senior spoke with an English accent. Moot anyway as Silverado explained.

It's in reference to the time the police can hold someone without charge,not always the actual amount of time they are held.How the interviews are conducted,case built,discussions with the cps over wether they can get them to press charges etc.

This is true but a semi decent solicitor will get you into the interview room as quick as possible.Thats their first concern, advising you then getting you out of the place. Its rare that they can press charges at the time of arrest with these things. They need to check phone records etc and build enough evidence to charge. Most people are bailed to return for charging some weeks later. The reason I believe they try to keep you in as long as possible is simply to make you shit yourself the the point where you confess or say something to give yourself away. No comment all the way. Its the only way.

Except the girl who appeared to be more senior spoke with an English accent. Moot anyway as Silverado explained.

English girls have grannies too x

This is true but a semi decent solicitor will get you into the interview room as quick as possible.Thats their first concern, advising you then getting you out of the place. Its rare that they can press charges at the time of arrest with these things. They need to check phone records etc and build enough evidence to charge. Most people are bailed to return for charging some weeks later. The reason I believe they try to keep you in as long as possible is simply to make you shit yourself the the point where you confess or say something to give yourself away. No comment all the way. Its the only way.

Have a feeling in this case they also held them as two of the ladies were "foreign".

Did you see how upset matey got over the refusal for the handwriting analysis.Personally I can't see why he was supprised.His theory that,why would someone working there have written a pricelist did puzzle me.As she was claiming to be renting a room for which to practice massage it's easily explained away so becomes a costly waste of time.He was rather determined though.

I liked the dancers pole for what it is worth.

For me the most outstanding part of this documentary was the police officer who had his legs removed but instead of thinking "my life is over" thought "hell no I will keep on keeping on" and that is what he has done, he has a great sense of humour in particular referencing Luton, lovely place but having visited I knew where he was coming from with "true romantics right here in Luton".

In relation to the actual brothel bust, it is what it is.

He started off talking about the sex workers as if they were victims, and saying that they must be organised by someone else. What they found was women working for themselves and he wanted to prosecute them. So he was pretending that what he was doing was helping them. He justifies his job by saying that he wants to nail the criminal masterminds that run chains of brothels and exploit vulnerable women, but that's not the reality. The reality is that he tricks poor Eastern European women into accepting cautions after interviewing them without a solicitor present.

He started off talking about the sex workers as if they were victims, and saying that they must be organised by someone else. What they found was women working for themselves and he wanted to prosecute them. So he was pretending that what he was doing was helping them. He justifies his job by saying that he wants to nail the criminal masterminds that run chains of brothels and exploit vulnerable women, but that's not the reality. The reality is that he tricks poor Eastern European women into accepting cautions after interviewing them without a solicitor present.

Then the police wonder why some people hate their guts and call them liars.

Then the police wonder why some people hate their guts and call them liars.

I wonder what will happen to the women shown in this documentary. I wonder if any of them will get attacked. Injured, maybe even killed. While they worked together they could keep an eye on each other. Now they can't. If any of these women are injured, it will be the responsibility of this police officer. It's people like him who make women unsafe. Hypocrites. I expect that many of the people who made complaints about them told lies. I know from experience that does happen. Home owners want to protect their property prices.

It seems that they kept the profits for themselves, the police couldn't find a pimp who controlled them. Maybe one of them will start working in a brothel with a pimp because at least she's not going to be the one to get prosecuted again. Maybe one of them will work alone from a flat because that's legal. Maybe one of them will live in poverty with her children for the rest of her life. Well done, PC Wil Taylor, Luton's property owners are safe.

1 person likes this