lancelot

Broadband - Contract Expired? Watch Out!

23 posts in this topic

I set up on bt broadband  5 years ago and have been paying £33 a month for BB plus unlimited landland calls etc. I have finally twigged that Bt dropped their price ages ago and I have been throwing money down the drain - as they did not tell me my contract expired. Anyway called them today and all sorted - now paying £14 a month.

still - bastards arnt they

Vodafone do the same thing. Good deals to attract new clients, existing clients get stiffed. Pays to regularly check if you can change to a better plan.

New customers only!  Banks, insurance companies, utilities  etc are all the same.  I guess they are banking on people staying and want the hassle factor of changing but we can all save thousands.  Think of all that extra punting money we can spend on you ladies.   

This is why i try to change as often as possible.

I'm now with Virgin Media, leaving BT infinity earlier this year. I felt that paying for a landline that I didn't use was wasting money, but saying that i'm spending more money on a much faster fibre broadband connection through Virgin - it's over double what BT can offer, so for me it's value for money. Doesn't mean I'll stay loyal once my contract's up - i'll just hunt around for whatever is right for me at the time and move if it's better. Same goes for mobile and any other contractual deals.

Pays to keep your eye out! Not literally of course ;)

:blink:

Yes well I have put a note up on my wall "BT Contract Expires Nov 2015" so I will phone 1 month before to set up a new contract.

£14 a month is not that great - plus I have to pay 15p set up fee on each tel call

I would change to another provider by dont want the hassle for a few quid a month

Instead of having a landline, I just have a SKYPE number, which is a London prefix for around £10 per quarter. As I have unlimited calls & texts on my mobile plan, included a large number to 08 numbers. I don't really use SKYPE credit for out going calls, so by cutting out the BT landline, saves the hassle and cost of upkeep.

I use a lot of broadband from home, uploading/downloading videos/photos for work, so having a high speed Virgin Media fibre line pays for itself.

But hey, each to their own.

New customers only!  Banks, insurance companies, utilities  etc are all the same.  I guess they are banking on people staying and want the hassle factor of changing but we can all save thousands.  Think of all that extra punting money we can spend on you ladies.   

Plus the AA  / RAC    I now alternate between the two at each renewal.

2 people like this

Instead of having a landline, I just have a SKYPE number, which is a London prefix for around £10 per quarter. As I have unlimited calls & texts on my mobile plan, included a large number to 08 numbers. I don't really use SKYPE credit for out going calls, so by cutting out the BT landline, saves the hassle and cost of upkeep.

I use a lot of broadband from home, uploading/downloading videos/photos for work, so having a high speed Virgin Media fibre line pays for itself.

But hey, each to their own.

thats a good one - but we have poor mobile coverage where we live and the o/h uses an 0844 number to call russia for 1p per minute so we do need a landline

Good point I didn't think about breakdown cover.  I will have a look at that as well. thanks.

thats a good one - but we have poor mobile coverage where we live and the o/h uses an 0844 number to call russia for 1p per minute so we do need a landline

If you have broadband you can purchase a mobile signal booster box, which can work very well.

has she looked at skype. free if her friend has skype. just a local call within russia if she hasnt.

has she looked at skype. free if her friend has skype. just a local call within russia if she hasnt.

it's mainly her sister and she doesnt tend to use skype as it means having to sit in front of the pc - they talk for hours which is ok by me as it gives me some peace

All service providers nowadays will hope that you forget to hunt around for new deals. I change insurances, gas/electricity etc every time I need to renew. The companies have so sense of loyalty so why should we?

I've changed my BB provider 4 times during 5 years.  The day my contract expiring, I am cancelling it. Of course when you will try to cancel it, they will refer you through the retention department, and they offer you variety of suppose to be great deals because they want to keep you custom. However they will never match the deals with when your a "new" costumer with other providers, especially if you consider cashback if you going through cashback sites like Topcashback or Quidco.

During last 5 years I was switching from Sky, Plusnet, o2, Virgin, BT, back to Sky, then back to Virgin..and so on.

Cashback varies from about £100 (For Broadband only) and as much £300 (if you switching phone line, TV package, Broadband). On the top of it, you can get half price package for 6/12 months, plus £100/£150 voucher (usually for M&S, Sainsbury, Debenhams), and of most important substantial  cashback. So never place the order when you switching through the phone! Always go through the cashback sites which I mentioned above to place order. Wait as well when above sites displaying a largest cashback, as it sometimes varies from day to day.

Effectively it can work out as little as £12 p/m for a phone line, BB, and TV subscription. When the 12months/18 months contract expired!- Switch over to somebody else. Even if you been with a provider before, after a year (while you was with somebody else) you will be considered "a new costumer" again with all benefits!

I never can understand why people stuck to the same provider for years. Loyalty does not pay in those cases. If I for example stayed with Sky for a last 5 years, and did not changed it, I probably will be down close to £2000, which otherwise I did not because I am constantly changing it, after a year or 18 months depending from length of contract.

Edited by Xenia

Thanks for this info Xenia.  My contract with TalkTalk, BB, landline & TV, expires in January so I'll try your suggestions.

I'll have to look into these cashback sites Xenia.  I always thought they were a bit of a rip-off in themselves  - as in pay more using a cashback site just to get money off in other words no nett gain.

Don't forget Green Flag !

I've changed my BB provider 4 times during 5 years.  The day my contract expiring, I am cancelling it. Of course when you will try to cancel it, they will refer you through the retention department, and they offer you variety of suppose to be great deals because they want to keep you custom. However they will never match the deals with when your a "new" costumer with other providers, especially if you consider cashback if you going through cashback sites like Topcashback or Quidco.

During last 5 years I was switching from Sky, Plusnet, o2, Virgin, BT, back to Sky, then back to Virgin..and so on.

Cashback varies from about £100 (For Broadband only) and as much £300 (if you switching phone line, TV package, Broadband). On the top of it, you can get half price package for 6/12 months, plus £100/£150 voucher (usually for M&S, Sainsbury, Debenhams), and of most important substantial  cashback. So never place the order when you switching through the phone! Always go through the cashback sites which I mentioned above to place order. Wait as well when above sites displaying a largest cashback, as it sometimes varies from day to day.

Effectively it can work out as little as £12 p/m for a phone line, BB, and TV subscription. When the 12months/18 months contract expired!- Switch over to somebody else. Even if you been with a provider before, after a year (while you was with somebody else) you will be considered "a new costumer" again with all benefits!

I never can understand why people stuck to the same provider for years. Loyalty does not pay in those cases. If I for example stayed with Sky for a last 5 years, and did not changed it, I probably will be down close to £2000, which otherwise I did not because I am constantly changing it, after a year or 18 months depending from length of contract.

£12 - incluindg the line rental?

£12 - incluindg the line rental?

Lets see:

Last time I switched to Virgin I got:

Half price for year - Fibre optic BB, and XL TV package- £35 per month (instead of £70).   All together- £420 per year.

Phone Line paid in advance for a year (not monthly!) - £144.

That makes it- £564.

Minus £300 cashback

Minus £100 Sainsbury vouchers (which is useful and you going to spent it anyway).

Thats leaves £164. Divide it by 12 months- £13.66. (including Fibre Optic broadband, TV package and landline rental). Ok, a slightly a bit more then £12, but when I posted above I just gave an estimate figure, which is not far off. 

I do need to mention that contract with Virgin for this package is 18 months, not a year. (so effectively it will cost a bit  more during contract duration and you cant change provider until contract expired).  Also cashback is varies: usually from £150 to £250, but occasionally either Topcashback or Quidco put cashback as high as £300, but only for a few days. That is the time you need to pounce! You can make an alert on those sites, so they will let you know when its increased.

Edited by Xenia

Don't forget Green Flag !

Is that the one carried behind the car to let people know that it is safe to venture out again?

Lets see:

Last time I switched to Virgin I got:

Half price for year - Fibre optic BB, and XL TV package- £35 per month (instead of £70).   All together- £420 per year.

Phone Line paid in advance for a year (not monthly!) - £144.

That makes it- £564.

Minus £300 cashback

Minus £100 Sainsbury vouchers (which is useful and you going to spent it anyway).

Thats leaves £164. Divide it by 12 months- £13.66. (including Fibre Optic broadband, TV package and landline rental). Ok, a slightly a bit more then £12, but when I posted above I just gave an estimate figure, which is not far off. 

I do need to mention that contract with Virgin for this package is 18 months, not a year. (so effectively it will cost a bit  more during contract duration and you cant change provider until contract expired).  Also cashback is varies: usually from £150 to £250, but occasionally either Topcashback or Quidco put cashback as high as £300, but only for a few days. That is the time you need to pounce! You can make an alert on those sites, so they will let you know when its increased.

ok well on one site they are offering 210 cashback plus 60 worth of vouchers but thanks - in 11 months I will check that out.

I am still inside my 14 day cancellation window

is it possible to cancel BT - go through one of those sites for cashback etc - book bt broafband and not have disruption to the service?