vivluvsme

An Xmas Puzzle For You...

8 posts in this topic

I am on Chrome and I have some bookmarked sites along the top of my browser screen.

I have just noticed that the logo for Punternet is the Facebook logo, which also shows on the FB tab, naturally enough.

Anyone know what i did to get that to happen and how i can avoid it?

I did have the two site tabs next to each other but I have now deleted Pnet as a favourite, then added it again to the favourites list and then moved it to be a favourites tab well away from FB but it still has the FB logo.

I don't want any hint of a connection between the two sites whether real or just superficial so would welcome any suggestions, please.

I've seen the same thing on my browser, also chrome, usually my email tab, Ebay and FB, Next day all seems okay so I never worry about it.

If you only use the incognito version of Chrome this should not happen, I believe.

OK but I don't see why/how it should happen at all.

Websites like to track your every move.  On firefox I wouldn't be without Ghostery, AdBlock+, Better Privacy (against supercookies) and AVG Do not Track.  I assume the same add-ons are available for other browsers.

Facebook tracks 3rd party website usage by using cookies (i believe), so there's a good chance they'll know which websites you're using. They use it for marketing and push advertising purposes.

I always use a totally separate browser (firefox with javascript blocker app installed) for PN & AW and other naughty sites. ;) Using a script blocker helps remove those hidden tracking codes that websites like to use, such as google and yahoo trackers, etc. You'd be surprised at how many so called 'innocent' websites know your every whereabouts. It also helps stop malicious flash scripts and other nasties.

On my Mac, Safari is my go to browser for normal stuff, but I also regularly use a cache cleaner for my whole system at least twice a month.

Thanks - a bit advanced for me although I have adblocker.

Adblocker's good for facebook/google ads, but useless for stopping tracking. I'm pretty sure there's decent apps in firefox to specifically stop trackers on websites.

People think that when using incognito browers, their history is anonymous. It's not to ISP's they see everything you've ever browsed. Only way round that is a VPN.