porker paul

The Spell Check System

28 posts in this topic

Is it just me or does everyone who uses the spell check here find that it gives American spellings for words like humour (humor) , minimise (minimize) etc.

My apologies to the number of posters who have yet to discover spell check!! You probably don't know who you are :D

I find it confusing, sometimes I think I've spelt something right but it gets underlined in red as wrong.

I don't know....!

Eye no Hoo U our.

2 people like this

My grammar is terrible! She swears like a trooper, pees like a dog and drinks neat whiskey! :blink:

*slow clap applause* :P

2 people like this

Is it just me or does everyone who uses the spell check here find that it gives American spellings for words like humour (humor) , minimise (minimize) etc.

My apologies to the number of posters who have yet to discover spell check!! You probably don't know who you are :D

Yes, it is mildly annoying.. unfortunately, there is no British English spell check dictionary available for this forum so we will just have to muddle through as best we can.

Yes, it is mildly annoying.. unfortunately, there is no British English spell check dictionary available for this forum so we will just have to muddle through as best we can.

Thanks for that slightly depressing answer, G. I guess we shall have to soldier on!!

I think most people on here are intelligent enough to grasp the meaning of a comment even with an entire comma missing. After all, they did all manage to register without spell check

My point is, some people are more worried about the public perception of an anonymous account rather than the content or tone of their actual posts. Most people reading those posts judge that person on their tone and content and not the lack of the occasional comma or mis spelt word

It has nothing to do with intelligence. A missed, or wrongly inserted, comma can change the meaning, or make the meaning unintelligible regardless of the intelligence or intellect of the reader.

The spell checker helps me actually... a bit :D (what ?!)

We have a spell checker on here ?  where ?   On most other sites / my email etc  mis-spelled words are underlined in red - not on here tho' .

Do I have to enable something ?    Nothing appears in the tools box along with bold / italic / underline / text color etc etc

We have a spell checker on here ?  where ?   On most other sites / my email etc  mis-spelled words are underlined in red - not on here tho' .

Do I have to enable something ?    Nothing appears in the tools box along with bold / italic / underline / text color etc etc

That's the way it works for me.

Dear Bert  Further to my post #15, if you right click on the word with the red squiggle underline, a box should pop up with some spelling options. These are all too often in American English, but as G has pointed out, this is unavoidable.

Hope that helps.

Dear Bert  Further to my post #15, if you right click on the word with the red squiggle underline, a box should pop up with some spelling options. These are all too often in American English, but as G has pointed out, this is unavoidable.

Hope that helps.

It's the red squiggle I'm missing. Only on punternet though - I'm quite used to all other sites working like you say.

It's the red squiggle I'm missing. Only on punternet though - I'm quite used to all other sites working like you say.

That's going to require someone cleverer than me to sort out, Bert. Sorry about that.

I hope some clever dick will come along soon and help you out!

Yes it's odd,  I've never had the spell check active on punternet and thought it was just the site itsself that didn't support it.  Only when you mentioned it I realised I'm missing something.  Just a case of  penis spell check envy or something  :lol:

2 people like this

Was about to agree with Bert on this.. But have now got the red squiggle and by right clicking on the word I now get a choice of correct spellings of words I deliberately spelled wrong. This is at the top of the text box after right clicking the word!

So basically almost everyone uses spell checker then. Excellent, I no longer assume that any of you can actually spell better than me or have better grammar than me..fabulous  ^_^

Not really.. 1st time I used it today to see if I could see why Bert couldn't. Generally you get what I type.. warts and all!

Was about to agree with Bert on this.. But have now got the red squiggle and by right clicking on the word I now get a choice of correct spellings of words I deliberately spelled wrong. This is at the top of the text box after right clicking the word!

I am confused. Why would you wish to correct words that you have deliberately spelt wrongly?

I am confused. Why would you wish to correct words that you have deliberately spelt wrongly?

In my previous post I did tell you why!

Not really.. 1st time I used it today to see if I could see why Bert couldn't. Generally you get what I type.. warts and all!

same here, real till the bitter end  ^_^

Edited by Chloe Kisses

The bitter end is the end of rope where the other end is tied on to something. Nautical.

The bitter end is the end of rope where the other end is tied on to something. Nautical.

okay, well I'm tied to my life till the bitter end so will that do? Thats the bitter end I was referring too  ^_^

It has nothing to do with intelligence. A missed, or wrongly inserted, comma can change the meaning, or make the meaning unintelligible regardless of the intelligence or intellect of the reader.

To anyone who doubts this I recommend they read the wonderful book by Lynn Truss entitled "Eats, Shoots and Leaves".

Yes it's odd,  I've never had the spell check active on punternet and thought it was just the site itsself that didn't support it.  Only when you mentioned it I realised I'm missing something.  Just a case of  penis spell check envy or something  :lol:

Hi Bert. I hadn't got the spell check facility myself until today .... I needed it to help with eyesight and keyboard problems, and firstly I had to download a dictionary through Firefox. Then before typing into the Punternet reply box I had to right click to get a 'check spelling box' and immediately below it I had to choose the language - English (American). I now get red squiggles like everyone else ..... better than red spots ...... ;)