Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gigabot

Thailand Holiday. Travel And Accom Questions

12 posts in this topic

I'm planning on going to Thailand for the first time this year and I have looked at packages for 7 nights in Pattaya in March, the average cost being about 1k.

I've searched the forum and can't find much on advice for hotels and packages, so some questions for the more seasoned travellers:

1. Do you know any packages that you've used and could recommend?

2. Where is the best place to stay for someone looking for both sex and sight seeing in your opinion?

3. Do hotels frown upon bringing bar girls back to your room?

4. Can you recommend any good hotels that you've used?

5. Will I be ok if I don't speak any Thai?

You don't need to pay for a package, there are thousands of hotel rooms in Pattaya, from overpriced 4 star resorts, to cheap charley rooms, you can get a clean aircon room for about £10-£15 a night.

Have a look on www.Pattaya-addicts.com all the info you need .

Agree with jerboa. You could get a flight + 1 month in some decent hotels/guest houses for 1k or only bit more. I now stay at Dave's Canterbury Tales just off Soi Bukkao. Look at the Pattaya virtual tour for a flavour of what it's like in Pattaya. Dave's guest house has some large rooms with kitchen facilities, settee, chairs, TV, wi-fi - everything you need and what's more you'll just get a key to the front door and one for your room, so there's no need to go to reception and go through the slightly embarrassing procedure of the girl you take back having to hand in or show her ID. In fact, you can take 2 girls back if you want. Book it now though - Dave gets full up. On the website you get a good idea of the various rooms and what they look like. it's near enough to the beach but far enough away to get away from the most hectic (and expensive) part of the town, but it's in an area which has become buzzing in the last 5 -6 years. I've never had any trouble getting a hotel in Pattaya just by turning up. In fact, it's better because these days you can bargain and knock them down on prices. Oh and when you're there and you feel like getting away from it all, try the Navy Beach a few miles out of town. It's absolutely beautiful - monkeys come out of the forest and grab your bananas! 

Have a look on www.Pattaya-addicts.com all the info you need .

I've tried - can't get any useful information - it keeps saying 'access denied'

I've tried - can't get any useful information - it keeps saying 'access denied'

You need to be a member to read the forum, unlike say here.

Lots of useful info to be had on PA (pattaya addicts)

www.pattaya-addicts.com is your start point. It has three levels of access - non-registered gets access to public forums that will give lots of info on hotels and a decent newbie advice forum. Register and you'll get access to a whole lot more. After about 50 posts (proper contribution or comment, not rubbish just to get your post count up), you will be granted access to a much raunchier advanced members forum.

Packages - as others have said, don't bother. Book flights, hotels and airport transfer separately.

Flights - direct or are you happy with a stop with a few hours wait. Just had a look on skyscanner for early March and you can get Eva (good airline; used them a lot) for about £550 (from Heathrow). If you are happy to go with a fairly painless stop, then you can get Etihad for about £430. Never used them but heard good things about them.

Transfer airport to Pattaya - you'll find plenty of taxi recommendations on PA. Should be no more than 1200 bht each way (so less than £25 each way). If you are adventurous, use Bell Transport bus service from the airport. 200 or 300 bht each way. Never used it.

Hotels - the PA forum will have loads of information on "guest friendly" hotels. Most are but a few are very much family friendly hotels. It's really up to you how much you want to spend and what level of luxury you want. My suggestion would be to stay near the baht bus route (cheap local transport) that has a circular route around Beach Road and Second Road. That's where you'll spend most of your time and you don't want a trek to/from your hotel everytime you go out.

Last visit I rented an apartment in the very centrally located View Talay apartment block (not Jomtien). Booked through Dancewatchers. Link on PA. About £60/night for a high spec one bedroom apartment with hot tub on the balcony. No need to pay anything like that, but it was great. Had to move for last two night and stayed in the new wing of Discovery Beach Hotel, very near Soi 6, which is a street full of bars with on site short time rooms, Not to be missed. Can't remember how much the room cost.

Sight seeing - most of the Pattaya sight seeing is touristy rather than cultural. Bangkok obvioulsy has more cultural stuff and you can also do Kanchanaburi (Bridge of the River Kwai) in a day trip. Pattaya is purely for bars/girls with a few things like Ripleys, some gardens and tourist shows and similar. Shouldn't forget the spectacular ladyboy shows (never been) which are a big draw with tourists.

Come back with a hotel budget and I'll give you a few more pointers.

Agree with jerboa. You could get a flight + 1 month in some decent hotels/guest houses for 1k or only bit more. I now stay at Dave's Canterbury Tales just off Soi Bukkao. Look at the Pattaya virtual tour for a flavour of what it's like in Pattaya. Dave's guest house has some large rooms with kitchen facilities, settee, chairs, TV, wi-fi - everything you need and what's more you'll just get a key to the front door and one for your room, so there's no need to go to reception and go through the slightly embarrassing procedure of the girl you take back having to hand in or show her ID. In fact, you can take 2 girls back if you want. 

as a first timer it is sometimes better to stay at a hotel where they allow WG's but they take a copy of their ID before allowing them in to the hotel - this way if they rob you (especially the Beach Road skanks) you have a record of who they might be - something to think about.

I agree with what Gazza and Hungdong wrote, as for the Bell bus service I've used them several times, efficient and cheap, they have a counter at the airport, or they will pick you up at your hotel in Bkk or Patts. A taxi is only needed if you arrive on a late flight after Bell has stopped.

Gigabot, you have a couple of months to do your research, sign up to Patt addicts and other sites, and try and take as much info in before your trip.

I've been to Thailand 8 times in total, and to Pattaya 3 times. It was a part of the country that I wanted to visit for 'tourist reason's, but I did 'indulge' while I was there.

As others have said, there are plenty of hotels and hotel rooms in Pattaya. I never went on a package trip ... I booked the flight direct with the airline, and then looked for hotels and booked them direct. If you're still concerned, book your first week in a hotel and everyday look at other hotels to compare their locations, facilities, prices, and whether they are 'guest friendly'. It's only the likes of the Ibis or Hilton that are *not* 'guest friendly', so it shouldn't be a problem. When you enquire at the hotel about booking a room (either from the UK, emailing them; or when you're there) don't be afraid to ask if they are guest friendly. It's not something that they put on a sign outside (well, some do!).

There is a wide range of types of hotels in Pattaya, from huge sites on multi-levels, down to small 3 or 4 room hotels.

On my trips to Pattaya I have stayed in an area called Soi Buakow, but other road names are 'Soi Diana' and 'Soi LK Metro'. The main bar area is 'Walking Street', but Soi Buakow is about 1 mile away. I don't think that there are any/many hotels in the Walking Street area, but there are plenty around Buakow (I stayed at 'Irish Rovers' twice on 'LK' and once at the Areca Lodge). There's more info at http://www.wheretostayinpattaya.net/near_soi_buakhao_and_soi_LK.php

Sight-seeing - well, there isn't a great deal in pattaya, other than bars and a little bit of shopping. There are a few temples, and it usually gets results (ahem!) if you take your chosen lady to a temple the morning after!

The beach at Pattaya is very poor and grubby. Most tourists tend to go to Jomtiem Beach which is about 1 mile south ... you'll need a taxi to take you there.

The sight-seeing really depends upon what kind of stuff you're into. If you're a golfist there are some very good courses in the area. Give us a clue as to what kind of things you do in this country and I'm sure that we can make some suggestions for things to see and do in the area.

My daily schedule in Pattaya was - get-up late, late breakfast, crashing hangover, sun-bathe, snooze, evening meal, bars, drinking, find a girl for the night - and repeat!

I don't speak any Thai ... on my first trip I bought a little phrase book about how to talk to bar-girls (cost about £3 I think). It's quite a laugh showing the bar-girls the book and you trying to pronounce the phrases in Thai, and them teaching you. In fact, my board-name comes from one of the phrases in the book.

I've been to Thailand 8 times in total, and to Pattaya 3 times. It was a part of the country that I wanted to visit for 'tourist reason's, but I did 'indulge' while I was there.

As others have said, there are plenty of hotels and hotel rooms in Pattaya. I never went on a package trip ... I booked the flight direct with the airline, and then looked for hotels and booked them direct. If you're still concerned, book your first week in a hotel and everyday look at other hotels to compare their locations, facilities, prices, and whether they are 'guest friendly'. It's only the likes of the Ibis or Hilton that are *not* 'guest friendly', so it shouldn't be a problem. When you enquire at the hotel about booking a room (either from the UK, emailing them; or when you're there) don't be afraid to ask if they are guest friendly. It's not something that they put on a sign outside (well, some do!).

There is a wide range of types of hotels in Pattaya, from huge sites on multi-levels, down to small 3 or 4 room hotels.

On my trips to Pattaya I have stayed in an area called Soi Buakow, but other road names are 'Soi Diana' and 'Soi LK Metro'. The main bar area is 'Walking Street', but Soi Buakow is about 1 mile away. I don't think that there are any/many hotels in the Walking Street area, but there are plenty around Buakow (I stayed at 'Irish Rovers' twice on 'LK' and once at the Areca Lodge). There's more info at http://www.wheretostayinpattaya.net/near_soi_buakhao_and_soi_LK.php

Sight-seeing - well, there isn't a great deal in pattaya, other than bars and a little bit of shopping. There are a few temples, and it usually gets results (ahem!) if you take your chosen lady to a temple the morning after!

The beach at Pattaya is very poor and grubby. Most tourists tend to go to Jomtiem Beach which is about 1 mile south ... you'll need a taxi to take you there.

The sight-seeing really depends upon what kind of stuff you're into. If you're a golfist there are some very good courses in the area. Give us a clue as to what kind of things you do in this country and I'm sure that we can make some suggestions for things to see and do in the area.

My daily schedule in Pattaya was - get-up late, late breakfast, crashing hangover, sun-bathe, snooze, evening meal, bars, drinking, find a girl for the night - and repeat!

I don't speak any Thai ... on my first trip I bought a little phrase book about how to talk to bar-girls (cost about £3 I think). It's quite a laugh showing the bar-girls the book and you trying to pronounce the phrases in Thai, and them teaching you. In fact, my board-name comes from one of the phrases in the book.

Talueng indeed! Good board name.

-W

WittyWoo,

it was either 'Dr Taleung' or 'Hee-man'  :)