Colonel Bonkers

Google Chrome Incognito

14 posts in this topic

I'd been lazily assuming this left no visible traces of the sites you visited, but I notice that as soon as I type a 'p' in the address bar, the punternet url helpfully appears as number one option.

There must be some way of getting rid of this. Mustn't there?

With Chrome, just clear your history (in the preferences menu/settings, top right) - also clear cache settings. You can, i think, also set it so that your browser history doesn't come up as a suggestion when you type in the search/URL bar.

I always use Firefox, as you can automatically set the browser to clear ALL history and settings when you quit. I haven't yet found an automated setting on Chrome. All my 'normal' browsing happens in Chrome.

Be careful if you're logged into to chrome with your gmail account, as google themselves stores a cache of your total web history (from all google devices & browsers )on their servers, which can be accessed by logging into your google account from anywhere else. You can clear this by going deeper into the settings, but it's a pain.

So in principle, keep a separate browser for your naughty stuff. :)

Mysteriously, by messing around I seem to have partially solved the problem. Punternet no longer springs up cheerily as soon as I type a p, but only when I've got as far as p-u-n.

Anyway, thank you both of you, and if anyone can make further suggestions I'd be very grateful. I thought I had cancelled all the things that could be cancelled.

I use the incognito setting and I never get auto fill in the title box. I have to type in the full name. I will take a look and see if I have any "special" settings!

Yeah, incognito mode in Chrome is supposed to keep history cache clear of any browsing done. Perhaps once you might not have had incognito activated and had used PN in normal mode? This would obviously stay in the history until you manually clear it.

I don't quite trust Google, i've noticed especially on PC's it can be quite buggy and also prone to viruses and trojans.

Better to keep 'naughty' browsing and perusing to a completely separate browser like firefox,  with all history settings set to wipe on quit, and in incognito mode. :)

Also invest in a good web cleaner. cclean i've heard is decent, but i'm not a PC expert. I'm sure others on here that can offer better advise on that.

Good luck!!

Edited by earlgreyman

Firefox has an option in Tools / Options  to  "never suggest anything"  when searching.  Chrome may have a similar option too but it's not a browser I'm familiar with.

Ccleaner is good, Privazer is marginally better I think for cleaning history

If you have ever entered PN, or other "incognito", sites from your public Chrome then they will be stored in the autofill function on your incognito browser. I suggest that you consider deleting all your history on your public Chrome browser. Hope this helps. 

Once again, thanks everybody. I've followed Bert's advice and am on Firefox at this very moment.

Once again, thanks everybody. I've followed Bert's advice and am on Firefox at this very moment.

I am also using Firefox at present following advice here . Got too many adwares using Google Chrome ..

I also make sure to delete history on Firefox even after  browsing in private,just in case ...

I would also look into portable firefox, which I believe is a standalone version on a thumbdrive that doesn't actually install onto your windows/mac system. Perfect for keeping your browsing habits private! So check the info out here if you're interested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefox_Portable

"Keep it secret, keep it safe!" lol

I am also using Firefox at present following advice here . Got too many adwares using Google Chrome ..

I also make sure to delete history on Firefox even after  browsing in private,just in case ...

On occasions i also use http://www.proxy4free.com/  and the better rated on their list http://free4proxy.nu/  for complete privacy .

Anyone here uses them ???