Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheVicar

A question of public nuisance

12 posts in this topic

'Measures to close brothels are to be welcomed and will give police powers to protect neighbourhoods from the nuisance and harm they create.' Thus spake the ACPO man on the subject.

My question is, setting aside the small minority of brothels where women are trafficked and coerced into working against their will, what is the nuisance and harm created?

Are the politicians and the Police choosing to wilfully confuse nuisance with disapproval?

'Measures to close brothels are to be welcomed and will give police powers to protect neighbourhoods from the nuisance and harm they create.' Thus spake the ACPO man on the subject.

My question is, setting aside the small minority of brothels where women are trafficked and coerced into working against their will, what is the nuisance and harm created?

Are the politicians and the Police choosing to wilfully confuse nuisance with disapproval?

Doubtless there is just such an ever so slightly Hidden Agenda. I guess if a brothel were in a residential area and very busy with lots of comings/ goings/ car doors slamming into the wee small hours it could cause harm and nuisance. Would you like to live next door to a brothel?

(Cue whole range of "Yes Please" responses)

A few years ago I lived next door to what seemed to be one very busy independent lady. Lots of coming and going in the street, but so far as I know no one complained. After all, why should they?

In Manchester most of the parlours seem to be in non-residential areas so I presume that's why they don't get problems?

I guess if a brothel were in a residential area and very busy with lots of comings/ goings/ car doors slamming into the wee small hours it could cause harm and nuisance. Would you like to live next door to a brothel?

I wouldn't like to live next door to any place that had lots of comings & goings. Makes no difference whether it's a brothel or a take-away or a 7-11 store. Not sure why the government should single out brothels for comment (except for the fact that brothels are about sex and enjoyment and it's obviously every governments duty to stamp down hard on that sort of thing)

I wouldn't like to live next door to any place that had lots of comings & goings. Makes no difference whether it's a brothel or a take-away or a 7-11 store. Not sure why the government should single out brothels for comment (except for the fact that brothels are about sex and enjoyment and it's obviously every governments duty to stamp down hard on that sort of thing)

To which add pub, club, restaurant, petrol station, factory, fire station, railway line, motorway, noisy neighbours etc. etc.

To which add pub, club, restaurant, petrol station, factory, fire station, railway line, motorway, noisy neighbours etc. etc.

And not forgetting churches with those damn bells........... :eek:

Don't remind me. I live on same road as one. Even Quasimodo would see his arse with the noise I got to put up with.

You rang, Sir??

Uncle Pokey

You rang, Sir??

Uncle Pokey

I forgot you were one of those campers Uncle! :eek:

God, how absurd. As if there weren't already laws that made that easy.

You rang, Sir??

Uncle Pokey

No Uncle- it is you doing the ringing I think :eek: