Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Duxbury

Northern Ireland Legislation

9 posts in this topic

Not that it effects me, as I don't live in Northern Ireland, but there was an interesting discussion/debate on the BBC Breakfast TV show this morning about new legislation out-lawing the purchase of sex. Nikki Adams, (from the 'prostitutes collective) argued that this would make it more dangerous for women working from the streets and in premises, as they are able to warn police of any nutters out there. The guy from Northern Ireland argued that this would ultimately curb human trafficking. However, Adams said that girls were able to take 'bank details' from punters so that they felt 'secure'. Well, personally I've never ever used a credit or bankers card when paying for sex, always cash up front! In fact I leave my wallet and mobile phone somewhere safe, as you never know what might happen, always go into a premises with enough cash on me...bit of a myth that, by Nikki Adams. Anyway, just thought I'd start a thread about legislation and safety/security for both 'consenting' parties in such a sensitive exchange.

That bank details comment just goes to show he knows nothing about how we actually go about our business.

That bank details comment just goes to show he knows nothing about how we actually go about our business.

He? (from the prostitutes collective) Chloe?

I'd say that Niki Adams from The ECP does know what she is talking about having worked with many many sex workers over the years. To me taking bank details sounds unlikely so either the OP has misunderstood or Niki knows something about what does happen in some areas that I (we) don't! I'm pretty sure her experience and understanding of the industry is spot on! 

He? (from the prostitutes collective) Chloe?

oops misread, I read Adam and thought that was the blokes name and that he had said that lol

I'd say that Niki Adams from The ECP does know what she is talking about having worked with many many sex workers over the years. To me taking bank details sounds unlikely so either the OP has misunderstood or Niki knows something about what does happen in some areas that I (we) don't! I'm pretty sure her experience and understanding of the industry is spot on! 

Yeah, I  misread. The OP  must surely have misunderstood, as did I eek  :wacko:. I can't imagine many bookings happening if I asked for credit card detail. Perhaps there is a different system in Northern Ireland?

Edited by Chloe Kisses

It’ll be interesting to see how events pan out in NI over the coming months. Will the authorities want to make an early ‘example?’

I’ve no knowledge of the NI scene but would imagine that parlours would soon start closing through lack of business, as these are where punters would feel most vulnerable, but for the more discreet independent ladies things may not change a lot.

I see there are currently about 150 ladies advertising on Adultwork as working in NI. I wonder whether that number will go down (or up!) in the near future.

If the legislation gets passed, and this is not certain given NI politics, then there will be some early raids so the authorities can parade errant punters to public disgrace. However, gathering the evidence to get convictions will require a lot of work and, given the other massive problems that the police have to deal with in NI, I doubt if this will be very high on their priority list. Additionally, NI currently has a public funding crisis which can only add to to pressure on police to concentrate on the really serious issues. I also think the NI police will try to short-cut the judicial processes by encouraging anyone caught to accept a police caution.

Does anyone know what penalties are proposed inthe NI legislation?

If the legislation gets passed, and this is not certain given NI politics,..................

The bill became law at midnight on the 13th January.   Keep up!.....

Thanks for the correction Calynx, you are correct and I was looking at the wrong web site. But "Section 15(1) to (5) and (7) comes into operation on 1 June 2015" and the authorities are supposed to publicise it before it comes into operation. ("The Department must before the coming into operation of subsection (5) raise public awareness of the change in the law to be effected by that subsection." )

The actual enacted legislation is at:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/nia/2015/2/contents/enacted

and to answer my own question, the maximum penalty is six month in gaol, which seems very draconian to me. There are a few other things of note. They have abolished the offence of soliciting, which I would have thought would encourage street workers. A WG would not be guilty of an offence if she was "encouraging or assisting the commission of the offence". So, if a  WG initiates a liasion and approaches a man, in the street or elsewhere, and offers her services and the man accepts, he's guilty, she isn't. The man and WG have to be 'physically present' so web cam sex doesn't count. If however the man and WG agree to meet as a result of a web cam session then the man is guilty.

Payment is defined as "any financial advantage" and " the discharge of an obligation to pay or the provision of goods or services". So if a guy takes a girl to dinner, she agrees to sleep with him and he pays for the dinner is he guilty?

The working of the act is to be reviewed after 3 years. One of the criteria is how many convictions. So will the police be encouraged to go after punters to get the numbers up? If so, what other policing activites will fall by the wayside?  Another criteria is "the extent to which it has reduced human trafficking for sexual exploitation". For this to be meaningful, the authorities will need to have accurate current figures as well as the ability to do a like-for-like measurement in 3 years time. I will be very interested to see how this is to be done given the the UK Border Force has no idea who is coming and going, the number of people travelling from UK to NI is not restricted and there is an open border between NI and Eire.