cumandgo

Change In Ip Address

16 posts in this topic

I recently got my internet cut off as I over-looked paying the bill. Having been re-connected , I note now that my IP address has changed.

I may want to join another Board under a new username and ditch the old username. However, I wonder if the system that that Board operates will have the technology to see past the change in IP address and notice that the laptop I am using is still the same and therefore know that it was one and the same person ?

edit -- apologies-- posted in error in the wrong section.

Edited by cumandgo

Unless you have a fixed / static IP address (which usually means paying extra to your ISP) your IP adderss will change each time your router reboots like when you turn it off or there's a power cut or if there is some interference on your phone line and it cuts out etc.

I wouldn't worry about it most peoples IP address changes in the above circumstances

Each internet provider will have it's own range of ip addresses.

Plusnet might be 25.3.45.x

B.T could be 250.249.34.x

Very unlikely a forum or board would be able to deduce that you are using the same laptop/pc as that would require the MAC address which is hardwired to your system board.

Edit: Bert is talking about DCHP which the router in your home will dynamically assign you a new ip address (within a specified range) , every time you reboot the pc/laptop.

You can fix them via router settings,but most folks don't

Unless you have a fixed / static IP address (which usually means paying extra to your ISP) your IP adderss will change each time your router reboots like when you turn it off or there's a power cut or if there is some interference on your phone line and it cuts out etc.

I wouldn't worry about it most peoples IP address changes in the above circumstances

Each internet provider will have it's own range of ip addresses.

Plusnet might be 25.3.45.x

B.T could be 250.249.34.x

Very unlikely a forum or board would be able to deduce that you are using the same laptop/pc as that would require the MAC address which is hardwired to your system board.

Edit: Bert is talking about DCHP which the router in your home will dynamically assign you a new ip address (within a specified range) , every time you reboot the pc/laptop.

You can fix them via router settings,but most folks don't

Thanks guys.

It used to be that every time that I rebooted the router that my laptop would show that I now had a new IP address. However, the router was then upgraded and from that point on the IP address never changed no matter how many times the router was re-booted for whatever reason.It was only when the provider cut off the service and then re-connected me that I have now got a new IP address ! 

I have some digital certs on my laptop , for example. one for use on on-line banking.I can only make transfers from this laptop as this is where the cert is located. My concern is that when joining some websites/Boards do they get you to click on links etc which allows them to identify the specific device that is communicating with them  (and then have access to this info as well as knowing your IP address)  ?

In short no.

Cookies are just a way of targeting you with specific advertising (think facebook, google & ebay)

Then we hear mps wittering on about the need to capture ip adresses for anti terrorism reasons. Ip adresses are not a reliable way of tracking internet activity. How technically illiterate is it possible for 600 odd people to be?

so how do they catch paedo's and torrent downloaders?

Also, i thought that websites (eg forums) could identify their traffic / hits... ?

so how do they catch paedo's and torrent downloaders?

Also, i thought that websites (eg forums) could identify their traffic / hits... ?

I think ISP's know which router is which account and can log activity against the account.

but remember many people dont turn off their routers for months at a  time so their IP address stays the same.

Might this solve your concerns? You'll need to upgrade to "Elite" for around £20 a year for proper use but you can download the Free version and give it a try first.

I use it when abroad to watch BBCiplayer......God I should get a life! :-)

http://www.hotspotshield.com/

It is hard to say because it really depends on how clued up they are. 

If they are using super cookies or Browser installation microtime for example, then to be absolutely sure you need clear all your browser caches, remove all your browser plugins, uninstall your browsers and then re-install them.

Edited by WykeTyke

It is hard to say because it really depends on how clued up they are. 

If they are using super cookies or Browser installation microtime for example, then to be absolutely sure you need clear all your browser caches, remove all your browser plugins, uninstall your browsers and then re-install them.

Is running a throw away OS such as Linux Mint 17.1 from a live DVD the better option?

Is running a throw away OS such as Linux Mint 17.1 from a live DVD the better option?

That would stop super cookies, but the microtime of the browser installation would be the same.

When you talk of address I presume you do refer to the numeric sequence and not also the location? Because, my old numeric address stayed with me always when I was with BT and the location was out by about 250miles. I haven't tested my new numeric one with Plusnet to see if it remains constant, but once again the location is wrong by almost 300 miles!

I am not unhappy about that but I do find it odd. I just wonder, is the location to do with the pc's first registration?

Plusnet put me in the US sometimes

I get a new IP address evedy time I reboot the router.

When you talk of address I presume you do refer to the numeric sequence and not also the location? Because, my old numeric address stayed with me always when I was with BT and the location was out by about 250miles. I haven't tested my new numeric one with Plusnet to see if it remains constant, but once again the location is wrong by almost 300 miles!

I am not unhappy about that but I do find it odd. I just wonder, is the location to do with the pc's first registration?

Location is not rigorously linked with IP address.  IP addresses are organised in blocks that are assigned to an ISP.  The ISP might assign the individual IP addessses in a block them to customers how they like.  You could have x.y.z.1 and x.y.z.2  hundreds of miles apart, while a different ISP will assign them within tight geographical location.  Consumer ISP tend to assign addresses dynamically but with broadband customers they use long leases, I've had the same address for a couple of years.  In the dial up days you would have a different IP address each time your connected.

Edited by WykeTyke

Wyketyke

I think my isp gives a different ip address each time I start the router cos my default location moves around Europe and the US. Quite clever for a house in the midlands! !!