Lynn

Poxy Proxy Server!

13 posts in this topic

Hoping someone can assist me..... in simple terms please..... I am blonde on Sundays.

I always use Google Chrome...... 

once or twice in the last few months I have been unable to connect due to "can not connect to proxy server" but it has rectified itself within a few hours.....

On Friday it happened but remained dead.... so yesterday in desperation  :rolleyes:  I logged in with Opera instead and can use the net (obviously) but it is not very good.

My protection (kaspersky... which I am very happy with) has completed a full scan and detected the "can not connect to proxy server" problem..... and despite me trying everything I can it isn't working.

I want to get back onto Chrome..... what can I do to restore the proxy server setting? I followed all instructions to do it but nothing has changed...... It obviously works with Opera... so why not Chrome any more?

Frustrated of Newcastle!

A little more info will help (and not just your hair colour on other days of the week).

'I followed all instructions to do it' - what exactly did you do?

Which version of Windows are you using?

If you browse to   chrome://settings/  and then choose    'show advanced settings'   and go to  Network    Change proxy settings   does anything useful show up?   (For me it looks as though the proxy settings and VPN settings seem linked.)

Sorry if I'm misjudging your level of blondeness in either direction.

Slarty

Tough to tell without actually seeing the problem for myself, but sounds like for some reason your browser is trying to connect to your internet connection via a proxy server address that's set up in the Chrome browser.

Now, if you're on a PC there's a few things that could affect it, the main problem could be a virus and or trojan, which has self installed either via a dodgy website link you've clicked or a flash video with embedded dodgy code. These nasty trojans can embed themselves in your chrome extensions and even as deep as system level. Could be that your internet settings are corrupted.

Try disabling all your chrome extensions (via your settings) and see if that works. If you see some extentions you don't recognise with perhaps some weird looking text or names, then disable them.

You might have to reset your Chrome settings and start again.

If Firefox or another browser is working fine, then the corruption might just be with Chrome.

A little more info will help (and not just your hair colour on other days of the week).

'I followed all instructions to do it' - what exactly did you do? Followed intructions to advanced settings..... unticked the LAN box as advised.... nothing changes... it seems a default setting and not sure how to alter it.  Have had a full scan done this morning and the only thing it picked up was the proxy problem.  My security won't now update to today... it is stuck on 16th Jan.

Which version of Windows are you using? 7

If you browse to   chrome://settings/  and then choose    'show advanced settings'   and go to  Network    Change proxy settings   does anything useful show up?   (For me it looks as though the proxy settings and VPN settings seem linked.)

Sorry if I'm misjudging your level of blondeness in either direction.

Slarty

Tough to tell without actually seeing the problem for myself, but sounds like for some reason your browser is trying to connect to your internet connection via a proxy server address that's set up in the Chrome browser.  Yes...... but the proxy works with Opera.... so obviously it is a Chrome problem.

Now, if you're on a PC there's a few things that could affect it, the main problem could be a virus and or trojan, which has self installed either via a dodgy website link you've clicked or a flash video with embedded dodgy code. These nasty trojans can embed themselves in your chrome extensions and even as deep as system level. Could be that your internet settings are corrupted. Yes am using my laptop..... I don't use a phone for this stuff.

Try disabling all your chrome extensions (via your settings) and see if that works. If you see some extentions you don't recognise with perhaps some weird looking text or names, then disable them. Will have a go with that thanks.

You might have to reset your Chrome settings and start again.

If Firefox or another browser is working fine, then the corruption might just be with Chrome.

Every now and again I have problems with chrome - not sure if same problem you  are having - to resolve mine I uninstall chrome and re-install from fresh - that helps me

Every now and again I have problems with chrome - not sure if same problem you  are having - to resolve mine I uninstall chrome and re-install from fresh - that helps me

I just did exactly that.  Uninstalled then reinstalled Chrome.

It made no difference.

Perhaps if I contact Kapersky?  They won't update my anti-virus while this is going on so maybe they will have an idea what I can do.

............ thank you all for your offers of advice though!

I receive these messages when I'm using the browser on my phone and I've always associated it with poor[3G] signal. I don't know if that helps or not!

Lyn, try this.. Go into Google Chrome Settings.. Scroll down to bottom of screen and where it says "Show advanced settings" Click on that and then go to the "Network" and click on "change proxy settings" a new window will open...  Then click Lan settings and unclick the proxy server box that is ticked, just untick it and all should work again.

Lyn, try this.. Go into Google Chrome Settings.. Scroll down to bottom of screen and where it says "Show advanced settings" Click on that and then go to the "Network" and click on "change proxy settings" a new window will open...  Then click Lan settings and unclick the proxy server box that is ticked, just untick it and all should work again.

I did that Sylver.... see my posts above.

It lets me untick the box.... but does not save the setting.

Several attempts have done nothing.

I will let you know if I get this resolved....... but in the meantime I have no protection and am using Opera which is slow and boring.

..... just a little update................ because I know how much you all care..................   ;)

I contacted Kaspersky and they got my anti-virus protection back up and running......

but no luck with the proxy server on Chrome or even Firefox (which I tried using as my browser)

So unless someone can recommend another browser I can try...... I am using Opera..... which I am getting used to but don't like.

On consumer internet the proxy server is provided by your ISP.

In lay terms It is the computer that connects your broadband to the internet.

The problem is most likely with your ISP or broadband.

The Next time it happens open up a windows command prompt

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-vista/open-a-command-prompt-window

Then type  "ping 8.8.8.8"

If you get the message saying the destination is "unreachable" then the problem is your ISP so give them a call.

If the message looks like this

http://i.imgur.com/fXjYgsQ.png

Then the problem is local and you will probably need to disable an unnecessary proxy

windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-internet-explorer-proxy-server-settings