Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carnival

Another "statistic" On Prostitution Brandished In Parliament Without Attribution

18 posts in this topic

Seema Malhotra (Opposition Whip (Commons); Feltham and Heston, Labour)

.........We know, for example, that about 50% of women in prostitution experienced child sexual exploitation when they were under the age of 18.

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/pbc/2014-15/Serious_Crime_Bill/04-0_2015-01-15a.2.8

Hansard source (Citation: Serious Crime Bill [Lords] Deb, 15 January 2015, c90)

I wonder where this statistic comes from.

1 person likes this

This is an often made claim on abolishonist websites-and like all the claims on these websites is a very partial truth at best. The statistics referenced have entered into the lexicon of myths propagated by these organisations and sadly have become commonly known as ‘facts’.

The usual "fact" quoted is , ‘45% report experiencing familial sexual abuse’, no source is offered in ‘Paying the Price’ (the source generally cited on the feminist websites) for this statistic which is mentioned in par 1.1 p1, the only other mention in the document of a 45% figure is on p25 where it says that “In the last nine months 45% of calls to its national helpline (Stop it now!) were from adults who had abused children or were thinking about abusing children and were looking for help.

In other research again dealing with street prostitutes (Hester & Westmarland 2004 Tackling *Street Prostitution* towards an holistic approach ) notes “In the CRP (crime reduction programme) sample nearly four in ten had experienced some form of abuse as a child (39%, 29/74). Nearly a quarter had been sexually abused as a child (24%, 17/70)”, a lower level of abuse and sexual abuse than given on the feminist websites.

So note the data comes from one small study of street prostitutes-and has been generalized to all prostitutes-this generalization from the worst example that can be found (street prostitutes) is then generalized to all-a common abolishonist tactic.

2 people like this

but the MP really should know better

Ha Ha, good joke. They say if you pay peanuts you get monkeys, well we pay a fortune for our MPs and still bloody get monkeys.

In my view anyone standing for election should be shot, except monster raving looney party.

Surely we can get better leaders than David " I'm scared of Boris and Nigel" Cameron, George " Submarine" Osbourne, Ed "Backstabber" Milliband and Ed " The Thug" Balls.

I quite like Boris Johnson, at least he understands he's a buffoon, it's a pity he's a yank otherwise I might on a drunk night actually consider voting for him.

Ha Ha, good joke. They say if you pay peanuts you get monkeys, well we pay a fortune for our MPs and still bloody get monkeys.

In my view anyone standing for election should be shot, except monster raving looney party.

Surely we can get better leaders than David " I'm scared of Boris and Nigel" Cameron, George " Submarine" Osbourne, Ed "Backstabber" Milliband and Ed " The Thug" Balls.

I quite like Boris Johnson, at least he understands he's a buffoon, it's a pity he's a yank otherwise I might on a drunk night actually consider voting for him.

Since when has Boris been a Yank. I think his father Stanley might like to differ.

Talk of statistics reminds me of one about death.

The mortality rate from breathing fresh air is 100%.

Should we start to ban fresh air?

Since when has Boris been a Yank. I think his father Stanley might like to differ.

He was born in the USA, and holds a US passport. In fact recently the US tried to issue him with a tax demand for capital gains tax on the sale of his first home....The USA practises global taxation, so you can be taxed even if you don't live or work in the USA anymore (or ever) There are protections against double taxation, so you wouldn't be charged income tax here and in the USA, but since this country has no capital gains tax on the sale of first homes, and the US does, there's no double taxation, and they can make a claim against him for it. The tax demand was more of a way of getting at him for his constant attacks on the US embassy for not paying the congestion charge, than a real tax demand, but since he is a US citizen it's technically valid.

Edited by punter992005

He was born in the USA, and holds a US passport. In fact recently the US tried to issue him with a tax demand for capital gains tax on the sale of his first home....The USA practises global taxation, so you can be taxed even if you don't live or work in the USA anymore (or ever) There are protections against double taxation, so you wouldn't be charged income tax here and in the USA, but since this country has no capital gains tax on the sale of first homes, and the US does, there's no double taxation, and they can make a claim against him for it. The tax demand was more of a way of getting at him for his constant attacks on the US embassy for not paying the congestion charge, than a real tax demand, but since he is a US citizen it's technically valid.

Hopefully Boris will tell the Yanks precisely where they can stuff their tax demand.

It would be useful to see the statistic specified as 'outdoor workers' and the compared with a statistic for the population as a whole. Experience of sexual abuse and/or behaviour under the age of 16 also may not be low in the general population.

I'd also like to see the definition of exploitation and exact questions asked.

Edited by Strawberry
1 person likes this

Can you please provide evidence to support your statement.Thank you very much

Can you please provide evidence to support your statement.Thank you very much

Read the newspapers, he's just paid his tax bill. By the way he has Russian ancestry too.

Better yet, google, Boris Johnson American passport.

Better yet, google, Boris Johnson American passport.

Thank you. I shall do so as soon as I have finished my breakfast. I was aware of a Russian connection but not the USA.

Read the newspapers, he's just paid his tax bill. By the way he has Russian ancestry too.

I thought it was Turkish. Doesn't he have some story about a great-great-grandmother being sold off as a slave in Ankara?

I thought it was Turkish. Doesn't he have some story about a great-great-grandmother being sold off as a slave in Ankara?

What a fraud, comes across as a toff and he's really a mongrel.

At least you don't have Lord Morrow to contend with who would have all Sex Workers being abused and being pimped.

All I know is no one ever asked me if I was sexually abused and if they had the answer would have been no.  I had a healthy childhood and I was practically 18 before I lost my virginity of my own free will, even if he did turn out to be a dick.

At least you don't have Lord Morrow to contend with who would have all Sex Workers being abused and being pimped.

All I know is no one ever asked me if I was sexually abused and if they had the answer would have been no.  I had a healthy childhood and I was practically 18 before I lost my virginity of my own free will, even if he did turn out to be a dick.

If he hadn't had a dick your life might have turned out differently!! :D