Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jonnybgood

The Ultimate Piss Take.

10 posts in this topic

I get a lot of cold calls, even though I'm with the Telephone Preference Service. (TPS)

I've just had an 'interesting' conversation on the phone, something like a Monty Python sketch.

It was a call from a marketing firm, who knew I was with TPS, they wanted to rent me a call blocker device, to block marketing calls. They didn't seem to realise how ironic they were being, and they didn't answer my question, would the device block calls from them. There was a bit of cursing from my end.

Edited by Jonnybgood
3 people like this

Why don't you report them to TPS and see what happens?

1 person likes this

Waste of time, if you don't have the culprits number or it's an Indian call centre, both in this case.

TPS does not cover calls made from outside the UK

I was getting 3-4 calls a week from Indians calling themselves 'Consumer Trends'. As soon as I said I was registered with the TPS they either terminated the call, or told me it didn't matter, they only wanted a couple of minutes of my time. My answers got more and more direct. After about 15 it's been quiet for a couple of weeks. 

I also don't understand the charade of them telling you they're called Alan or Bob. WTF?

1 person likes this

All you need is one of these to hand...

....Plus a good set of ear defenders.

They won't call back...I guarantee it

2 people like this

All you need is one of these to hand...

....Plus a good set of ear defenders.

They won't call back...I guarantee it

I use a conventional whistle, borrowed from a referee, Works just as well and  is a bit cheaper. These phone callers are truly a PITA :mad:

I find that when you start getting the calls saying "hello madam, we have picked up on a virus within  your computer thats double backing and infecting the main frames" if you laugh they get  upset and when you tell them that they have no way of knowing whats going on in your laptop they get even more upset that you dont believe them then when you ask them what they are selling and they realise you dont believe a word they start shouting IT IS MADAM IT IS MADAM IT IS INFECTED MADAM over the phone and then shout louder when you continue to laugh...so far no call backs after hanging up on him

1 person likes this

I find that when you start getting the calls saying "hello madam, we have picked up on a virus within  your computer thats double backing and infecting the main frames" if you laugh they get  upset and when you tell them that they have no way of knowing whats going on in your laptop they get even more upset that you dont believe them then when you ask them what they are selling and they realise you dont believe a word they start shouting IT IS MADAM IT IS MADAM IT IS INFECTED MADAM over the phone and then shout louder when you continue to laugh...so far no call backs after hanging up on him

tell them you work in IT and you know about this stuff and they tend to go away.  if not tell them they are a liar and to fuck off.

I got one of those calls and after running rings round him for about 10 minutes I finished by giving him a modified version of the "i have a specific set of skills" speech from the movie Taken. Unfortunately he hung up on me before I got to tell him I would find him and I would kill him for being a no good scamming twat - the rotten spoilsport.