Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
YourSlave

Yet Another Call For The Ikea Model In Scotland

15 posts in this topic

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-31154896

Churches and other religious organisations have written to the first minister saying doing so could have a significant effect on human trafficking and exploitation.

If it isn't radical feminist Labour politicians it's Churches and religious groups, who also offer "prayer" to women on the streets of Glasgow.

Also this:

"Their families should know exactly what they're doing."

In other words out them to their families? If it's against the wishes of the individual I don't think that's a great idea.

She said the current law, which criminalises the sale of sex, but does not address those who purchase it, fails to help women to exit prostitution.

MSP Rhoda Grant used to say this all the time too, it's false and misleading, the current law in GB does NOT criminalise the sale of sex (unless it's selling sex from a brothel, but the Nordic model doesn't change that anyway).

Edited by YourSlave

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-31154896

If it isn't radical feminist Labour politicians it's Churches and religious groups, who also offer "prayer" to women on the streets of Glasgow.

Also this:

In other words out them to their families? If it's against the wishes of the individual I don't think that's a great idea.

MSP Rhoda Grant used to say this all the time too, it's false and misleading, the current law in GB does NOT criminalise the sale of sex (unless it's selling sex from a brothel, but the Nordic model doesn't change that anyway).

The sale of sex in a brothel isn't illegal, it is managing the brothel which is illegal.

1 person likes this

The sale of sex in a brothel isn't illegal, it is managing the brothel which is illegal.

Even so, if sexworkers who work in a brothel can still be guilty of managing it unless I'm mistaken.

If there's no "pimp" involved and it's simply 2 sexworkers working from one flat then they are both managing it.

On the topic, can anyone confirm if any law has been broken by anyone (in Scot/Eng/Wales) if a client books 2 sexworkers outcall to his place? Would that make the client's place a "brothel" for the duration they were there? That's something I've never quite been sure of.

On the topic, can anyone confirm if any law has been broken by anyone (in Scot/Eng/Wales) if a client books 2 sexworkers outcall to his place? Would that make the client's place a "brothel" for the duration they were there? That's something I've never quite been sure of.

Brothel is a place where more than one woman offers sex, paid or not.

Not sure who's running it though!

Even so, if sexworkers who work in a brothel can still be guilty of managing it unless I'm mistaken.

If there's no "pimp" involved and it's simply 2 sexworkers working from one flat then they are both managing it.

They probably can, but the actual selling of sex is not illegal, its the activity surrounding it.

1 person likes this

Back to Ikea, I believe it's not as simple as criminalising the purchase. The nordic countries also helpfully made it illegal for sex workers to operate from indoor premises, so they are constantly ducking, diving, working from cars, taking other risks and being made homeless. The 'nordic' model doesn't penalise them for actually being paid for the sex act, but it makes the remainder of their lives dangerous and unstable.

Back to Ikea, I believe it's not as simple as criminalising the purchase. The nordic countries also helpfully made it illegal for sex workers to operate from indoor premises, so they are constantly ducking, diving, working from cars, taking other risks and being made homeless. The 'nordic' model doesn't penalise them for actually being paid for the sex act, but it makes the remainder of their lives dangerous and unstable.

Making life hell on earth for sex workers was of course, a very much intended effect of this insane law as it will be in Ireland, when it's passed here in the Republic! There is no doubt sex workers, female in particular, suffer vastly more under this madness than anyone else!

People need to be looking at the other bits of the law that are brought in alongside the main "purchase of sex" section, and point them out. Many politicians are often not aware of the ins and outs of the law surrounding sex work and some whose basis is to protect women often aren't aware of the bits of legislation which sneakily actually make prostitution and the women involved in it less safe.

2 people like this

No sex worker that just goes into the brothel, works her day and goes home can be guilty of managing a brothel. If she does manage it however then thats a different story

Regarding your second point. If two independent sex workers are sharing a flat then yes technically they could be arrested for managing a brothel but if they can prove that they have their own individual advertising and only take bookings for themselves then who are they actually managing other than themselves so I doubt it would go to court. If they take bookings for each other then there would be a case but still..hard to actually prove. 

Its one of those technical grey areas. To be honest though I think most areas do tend to ignore indies 

Edited by Chloe Kisses

I did not know this.. Is that new?

I did not know this.. Is that new?

I'd have to look up the exact bit of legislation but apparently they made it very difficult for sex workers to work from any property.

1 person likes this

The nordic countries also helpfully made it illegal for sex workers to operate from indoor premises,

Quote from sex worker Carina Edlund of Rose Alliance, Sweden:

“Before even thinking of a law that criminalises men who buy sex, UK politicians should hear from Swedish sex workers like myself about how we have treated under the law. We are still criminalised if we work together in apartments, we risk losing our home if we sell sex there even if we own it, social workers treat as like children and we can even lose custody of our kids because we are seen as victims suffering from a form of self-harm who can't take care of ourselves. This law should be taken away not exported to other countries.”

http://lauraslifeandthoughts.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/sex-workers-response-stop.html

1 person likes this

Here are the laws in question (somewhat similar to UK law before "living off immoral earnings" was replaced with "controlling prostitution for gain"  in 2003? )

http://www.bayswan.org/swed/swed_law.html