Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Unperson

A Happy Uk 50Th

12 posts in this topic

Time for a celebration today. This must be the right place to report it, if anywhere is.

It's my 50th anniversary of UK punting.

I think one old PN poster could beat me to that mark by about a month, but I don't know if he's still active and around to claim it. Any other 50-year veterans here now?

Praise to Punternet for all the help it's been giving. Your national game couldn't be the same without it. Galahad deserves a decoration. Sir Galahad?

For sentimental reasons I had a look around Notting Hill Gate on my last UK trip to see if I could identify where I punted on February 25th in 1965. I think I have it now. Apartment slightly below ground level at 14 Pembridge Crescent. Some sort of London historical plaque needed there. Genteel place in 2015 so a plaque turning up overnight might be quite a surprise for the nice old gentleman I saw pottering about in the garden outside the door.

I may not be able to manage another 50 years in the game from now on, but I'll sure be putting my best effort into it.

Thank you finally, ladies and gentlemen both, for your company on this board since 2007. A pleasure. Except for a very few cases, but I can forget those already. Here's to the next 50 punting years.

4 people like this

I bet you have seen plenty of changes since 1965! Maybe a book might be forthcoming?

Anyway Congratulations and keep it up (in every sense of the words!).

My hat off to you Sir!

My goodness, you must have seen much change in the punting scene since you began.

I wonder what age you began exploration of this joy enhancing activity and perhaps you might offer a perspective on what are the most significant changes you have observed.

I think many of us would very interested to hear your experiences.

Best regards

Uncle Pokey

Well done Unperson and glad to see you have no intention of retiring. Even more congratulations on remembering where you were in 1965 - I struggle to remember where I was last week!

2 people like this

Congratulations. Did you have a 50th punt to celebrate?

Telegram from the queen is on its way, or rather one from prince Philip.

3 people like this

Well done Unperson and glad to see you have no intention of retiring. Even more congratulations on remembering where you were in 1965 - I struggle to remember where I was last week!

As do I - and I was only 3 when the OP embarked on his punting career! Doesn't bode well does it??

Hats off to you Unperson, I very much doubt I'll get to celebrate 50 years in this hobby, I'd be 100 years old!

Edited by Burty

Thanks for all those friendly comments, folks. I'll do my best to go on living up to them.

I'll pick up a few of your points now.

First, to Burty. No, mate, you weren't 3 when my punting history started. I'd be surprised if you'd even been thought of when that happened. UK came relatively late in the career.

Second, no, I didn't have an anniversary punt yesterday. That wouldn't have been appropriate to celebrate a UK milestone anyway. And there's been no time lately. Too many deadlines. Well, only 2, but I'm not as young as I used to be. At least I could connect this computer to PN when I needed a short break. Back to punting on Saturday, I hope.

That reminds me to ask if anyone has any special personal recommendation for a late UK 50th anniversary punt. I should be there in about 3 weeks.

Official telegram from your Sovereign or her consort? Nice idea, but isn't there some younger punter in the family? Maybe that's where it'll be coming from.

Changes in your punting scene since 1965? That would take a long post. Not enough time for that this week. Just two things to say quickly. The biggest difference is like a quick change from B.C. to A.D. Before and after the Internet. Second thing: even considering that, the UK picture since 1965 has changed less than you'd think. The change is mainly on the surface. B.C. to A.D. again.

I bet you have seen plenty of changes since 1965! Maybe a book might be forthcoming?

Now that's an interesting comment. You must have been listening in to my dinner conversations. My more than 50 years of international career punting might fill a colorful book. It would be as much about general experiences and points of view that have come out of the lifestyle as about punting itself. Two weeks ago a fellow I know who's a part-time literary agent and who knows I punt brought up the idea during a dinner, and said he'd take the project on if I actually get round to writing anything.

If old age ever catches up with me and my mating attachments I'll have to ask him whether he was kidding or not. No sign of that happening so far. But if it ever does, I'll be in the best of company: that was Casanova's main excuse for writing his memoirs.

Next, back to work again {sigh}.

Thanks for all those friendly comments, folks. I'll do my best to go on living up to them.

First, to Burty. No, mate, you weren't 3 when my punting history started. I'd be surprised if you'd even been thought of when that happened. UK came relatively late in the career.

Second, no, I didn't have an anniversary punt yesterday. That wouldn't have been appropriate to celebrate a UK milestone anyway. And there's been no time lately. Too many deadlines. Well, only 2, but I'm not as young as I used to be. At least I could connect this computer to PN when I needed a short break. Back to punting on Saturday, I hope.

That reminds me to ask if anyone has any special personal recommendation for a late UK 50th anniversary punt. I should be there in about 3 weeks.

Official telegram from your Sovereign or her consort? Nice idea, but isn't there some younger punter in the family? Maybe that's where it'll be coming from.

Changes in your punting scene since 1965? That would take a long post. Not enough time for that this week. Just two things to say quickly. The biggest difference is like a quick change from B.C. to A.D. Before and after the Internet. Second thing: even considering that, the UK picture since 1965 has changed less than you'd think. The change is mainly on the surface. B.C. to A.D. again.

Now that's an interesting comment. You must have been listening in to my dinner conversations. My more than 50 years of international career punting might fill a colorful book. It would be as much about general experiences and points of view that have come out of the lifestyle as about punting itself. Two weeks ago a fellow I know who's a part-time literary agent and who knows I punt brought up the idea during a dinner, and said he'd take the project on if I actually get round to writing anything.

If old age ever catches up with me and my mating attachments I'll have to ask him whether he was kidding or not. No sign of that happening so far. But if it ever does, I'll be in the best of company: that was Casanova's main excuse for writing his memoirs.

Harry or Andrew springs to mind.

Well done Sir, I salute you, it obviously hasn't had any long term harmful effects, apart from the wallet.

I'm a mere stripling - just 42 years at it.

Anyway Congratulations and keep it up (in every sense of the words!).

I always try to listen to the conversation at the next table!!