Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Czechmate

Punternet Reviews - Location

6 posts in this topic

I mainly punt around North London, so when we had 2 location fields in the review, I could put North London and Finchley or whatever. I could search on North London and find reviews I was interested in. Now almost every review for the London area just says London, so I would have to read 100 reviews to find 1 or 2 of interest, so I dont bother. Neither do I write reviews which noone can find or read. I presume the system works OK for Central London, as most of the London reviews relate to there, but suburbia is out in the cold. I guess the same applies to some extent in the other bigger cities.

The new database only allows for 1 location field, but we could use it more helpfully if the guidelines were changed.

I guess reviewers could be asked to put a sub-area after the main one - London Central or London North,

and then put a more local area name under the "Her Place" prompt if appropriate.

1 person likes this

There are still two location fields, the second one is and always has been optional.

One of my projects is to geo-code all the locations in reviews to lat-long coordinates in much the same way as the Directory, which will then allow searching within a radius of a post code or place name. The hard part is converting all the existing reviews. I hope to have that working soon.

Thanks for your reply, Galahad.

Seems I was mistaken about the 2nd location going missing in fact, but it has gone as a way of refining Location 1 - the advice given is  If you met the lady at a place other than her home location, enter the city where the visit actually took place. Indeed the advice on Location 1 is to put Kensington rather than West London. That is what made me give up with reviews as few people use these terms, and if they did, I would have 50 or 100 search-terms to plough through.

Anyway my complaint/request would become redundant with the geo-code, which would be great for all new reviews.

I have no idea how you would apply it to old reviews, though. Most London ones just say London in location 1 and thats it. There are a few known parlours, but even with those, HOD, say, has 2 locations, and has had about 3 more in the last few years. Most agency SPs will be around the West End to Earls Court, but do you generalise and say they are all in Mayfair ? And then Indies could be anywhere - you would need to recruit a group of helpers to check web-sites etc to get the best guess on where the SPs were, or message all the reviewers.

I would think the most practical way to deal with "London" locations would be to allocate them to Charing Cross (or wherever) until either the reviewer or the reviewed SP requests a change.

Why not use postcodes. You only need the first part. And there are apis available to do the distance calc.

Why not use postcodes. You only need the first part. And there are apis available to do the distance calc.

For new reviews - yes obviously - for existing reviews - where would the postcode come from? That is the question I was addressing by suggesting that SPs or reviewers could provide it - the information is not there in most reviews, and hard to extract from most of the others.

For new reviews - yes obviously - for existing reviews - where would the postcode come from? That is the question I was addressing by suggesting that SPs or reviewers could provide it - the information is not there in most reviews, and hard to extract from most of the others.

well a good many are for parlours, so the postcode should be easy

for the others then put in the central postcode for the place and ask for corrections.