Uncle Pokey

Shoplifting more acceptable than prostitution?

94 posts in this topic

So claims a priest reported in today's Times (Page 9)

Article also reports said priest equates prostitution with mugging and burglary.

I could not believe my eyes when I read this crap.

Uncle Pokey

You would probably get fined more for putting your rubbish out on the wrong day than you would for shoplifting ------ crazy but true. :D:(

Shoplifting is a criminal offence, prostitution is not. Here endeth the lesson.

Article also reports said priest equates prostitution with mugging and burglary.

Uncle Pokey

Maybe I should have a word with him :D

I think he may be labouring under the illusion that all prostitutes are forced, coerced, or trafficked into such work.

For those who choose this work voluntarily, his words are extremely insulting imo.

You can't really expect a reasoned argument from someone who has an imaginary friend.

The Priest was interviewed on BBC Breakfast telly this morning.

He got himself into a bit of a pickle, claiming that in extreme circumstances (ie benefits not coming through:rolleyes:) it was OK to turn to shoplifting as a last resort.

He was obviously off sick they day they covered Mary Magdelene at theology school.

You would probably get fined more for putting your rubbish out on the wrong day than you would for shoplifting ------ crazy but true. :D:(

Fined for shoplifting - you must be joking.

Your deprived childhood with a single mother at a piss poor comprehensive school means that you never had a chance. High benefits and high unemployment pay meant that you never had any inclination to work or be trained so hanging around the pub inhaling waccky backy is your life style.

Left wing judges would let you off or award you an ASBO.

But fined - no way.

You can't really expect a reasoned argument from someone who has an imaginary friend.

That reminds me of the Christian and the Jew, the christian said that it was his believe to give 10% of hs earnings to the church, the Jew said ah we have a better way of doing it, we through all our spare cash into the air for god and ask him to return what he doesn't need.:D

i wonder if the priest thinks that paedophile priests abusing children is more acceptable also?

the religious industry should get its own house in order before criticising other industrys

There is a more moral issue at work here, lets look at the context the priest was making, he said, "shoplifting would compensate for society letting down the poor", and he asked that they take no more food than they need, for any longer than they need, for people who were not allowed any benefits.

His rant about the better to take, than to turn to a act of violence, mugging, or prostitution, is something he is unaware of, as one act is legal, whereas violence and mugging is a crime.

There is always some priest or cleric who is going to say something like this at this time of year, the Archbishop of York, and Archbishop of Durham, were great at getting their point across in this way, and it did their church numbers no harm at all in the long run.

And what better time to draw attention to the church that the week with Christmas.

The Priest was interviewed on BBC Breakfast telly this morning.

He got himself into a bit of a pickle, claiming that in extreme circumstances (ie benefits not coming through:rolleyes:) it was OK to turn to shoplifting as a last resort.

I must be missing something here, but isn't "Thou shalt not steal" one of the 10 commandments? Whereas IIRC prostitution does not figure in the 10 commandments.

Obviously the snow and ice must have got to his brain and muddled with it......TWAT:mad:

There is a more moral issue at work here, lets look at the context the priest was making, he said, "shoplifting would compensate for society letting down the poor", .

Out of the woodwork comes a fluffie. The genuine poor have never had it so good. With a myriad of different benefits and an army of bureaucrats charged with dispensing out our tax money to look after the idle and the indolent there really is no reason for the poor to me poor - except perhaps for money for booze, cigarettes and paid sex.

Society has not let down the poor except in its provision of so much funding that they have no incentive to work. The poor have let down themselves and are encouraged to blame 'society' for letting them down

In all this I exclude the very few who do have often serious medical and emotional problems - they would be much better looked after if the benefits disbursed went only to those in real need - not to the 'seriously' disabled who referee football matches or who have full time cleaning jobs.

For a Christian to encourage theft merely highlights the futility of the church's thinking.

I must be missing something here, but isn't "Thou shalt not steal" one of the 10 commandments? Whereas IIRC prostitution does not figure in the 10 commandments.

well, "Thou shalt not commit adultery" would cover that as you're not going to be married to the WG obviously.

A few points I feel the need to make here.

1 - Every time a priest says something it's not clever to call on the fact that there have been Paedophilic priests. I'm sure in most occupations where children are involved if you dig deep enough you will find them. We could start to say the same about nursery workers FFS.

2 - Why would someone "obviously" not be married to a wg? Do you think we don't have normal lives with partners/husbands/children?

3 - I would never steal - I was brought up Catholic - I'm proud of my chosen occupation and feel I excel in this field!!!!

4 - I think said priest was talking tripe but hey it don't make him a paedo.

x

Hol

For a Christian to encourage theft merely highlights the futility of the church's thinking.

I dont think it was said to encourage theft, merely point out that some of society does not have any income or benefit to fall back on, and the press were quick to pick up on the point of shoplifting.

To be branded as irresponsable by police, church chiefs, and politicians, means he must have got something right.

Your deprived childhood with a single mother at a piss poor comprehensive school means that you never had a chance. High benefits and high unemployment pay meant that you never had any inclination to work or be trained so hanging around the pub inhaling waccky backy is your life style.

But fined - no way.

Out of the woodwork comes a fluffie. The genuine poor have never had it so good. With a myriad of different benefits and an army of bureaucrats charged with dispensing out our tax money to look after the idle and the indolent there really is no reason for the poor to me poor - except perhaps for money for booze, cigarettes and paid sex.

Society has not let down the poor except in its provision of so much funding that they have no incentive to work. The poor have let down themselves and are encouraged to blame 'society' for letting them down

In all this I exclude the very few who do have often serious medical and emotional problems - they would be much better looked after if the benefits disbursed went only to those in real need - not to the 'seriously' disabled who referee football matches or who have full time cleaning jobs.

Which newspaper do you read? No,no, wait a minute let me guess...:D You are a natural messageboard poster - tho possibly not this one ROFLMBO

A few points I feel the need to make here.

2 - Why would someone "obviously" not be married to a wg? Do you think we don't have normal lives with partners/husbands/children?

x

Hol

you're not married to the client are you deary....so that's adultery. Which is what I was saying in my post if you read it again. I never suggested you wouldn't be married at all.

Uncle Pokey

I would suggest our moral guardians in the priesthood, concentrate on the ryan report and the murphy report, and the rape of children, they both participated in, and covered up, from priest level to vatican, before they moralise to the rest of us.

Shame on those, who don't know the difference between right and wrong, and lecture others in society.

He said that stealing was a "better moral thing to do" than robbery or prostitution, and that "I would ask that they do not steal from small, family businesses, but from national businesses, knowing that the costs are ultimately passed on to the rest of us in the form of higher prices."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/8426205.stm

He perhaps forgets other consequences. In their final year of trading Woolworth's tiny profit was less than its loss to shoplifters. Woolworth's staff later found themselves unemployed.

North Yorkshire Police has described the sermon as "highly irresponsible. Why he thinks theft, forbidden in the 10 Commandments, is morally better than prostitution (not listed) may be of some theological interest. I note that he is the in Archdiocese of York, where the dear Archbish himself takes an interest in WGs.

I would suggest our moral guardians in the priesthood, concentrate on the ryan report and the murphy report, and the rape of children, they both participated in, and covered up, from priest level to vatican, before they moralise to the rest of us.

Shame on those, who don't know the difference between right and wrong, and lecture others in society.

indeed,i sometimes wonder if the religious industry's attacks on prostitution is a way of diverting attention away from all the abuses perpetrated by priests

I heard him interviewed on Radio 4 last night and thought he was a bit vague. However I don't think he was thinking about the intelligent women who post on on boards like this and who usually make an informed choice about going into prostitution as a line of work. I think he was thinking more along the lines of the smack / crack head whose life is pretty fucked who takes up street, (and evidently sometimes brothel) work to pay for her addiction, maybe pressured by her 'boyfriend'. These girls will be out in freezing RLDs tonight, taking the risks with potenially violent punters, (I know all punters are potentially violent, however street girls are at most risk), desperate for cash, maybe offering BB for an etc £5. Possibly shoplifting would be the better option, although it must be said it's likely to earn less in a hour than even street work. Not every WG is having a 'wonderful time' being shagged or giving a BJ tonight, for some of them it's just part of their generally shit lives. Merry Christmas one and all.

But fined - no way.

I can remember a time when it was transportation to ..........Australia :D