Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Coventrypunter

Lloyds Chemists Sti Test By Post

12 posts in this topic

What is important is that neither the men's nor the women's tests covers chlamydia and gonorrhea in the throat or anus, it is penis and vagina only. So you could test negative whilst being infected in both those areas.

Edited by Strawberry

No syphilis test either...

What is important is that neither the men's nor the women's tests covers chlamydia and gonorrhea in the throat or anus, it is penis and vagina only. So you could test negative whilst being infected in both those areas.

Looks like the Man2Man test covers that.  But why not just go to a GUM clinic.

Just go to a GUM clinic its confidential and cheaper that these kits.

I looked at these cos getting to the GUM is a bit of a pain for me. ( i dont live near a big city hospital)  They are part time and getting to them when not working etc is difficult

I considered the kits as a way of filling the gap between GUM clinic visits which are not as often as I would like.

can anyone post their experiences of going to a GUM please. I should go but feel too embarrassed to

Edited by RogerWeekly

It's nothing to worry about! You don't need to give your real name: most places only need 'a' name and your mobile number to send the results to. You can hold off giving them your GP's details.

You can go to any clinic - it doesn't need to be near to where you live. Check their website for appointments vs drop-in times. You get the results by text within two weeks normally if negative; they may call you instead if you need to go back in for any reason.

If you can get to London easily try Dean Street Express or Praed St.

can anyone post their experiences of going to a GUM please. I should go but feel too embarrassed to

Nothing to worry about. I looked up the website of an NHS one not too far away but far enough that I wasn't likely to bump into anyone I knew. Had a look at the clinic times and turned up early. You sit at a desk where they'll take details, what you tell them is up to you with regards accuracy of details. I was asked if I wanted notification by post or text, chose text obviously!

When I went into the clinic I told the nurse I saw wg's, they asked what I did with them so I told them - protected intercourse, oral without both ways, etc. No point in telling lies, and they were completely none judgmental and incredibly helpful.

They asked general health questions, did blood, urine tests, had a look around various bits of my body including mouth, genital area. Then recommended as I said I gave unprotected oral that I had the Hep B jab, which means a couple of boosters a month apart if you're not immune, and a further booster about a year later.

The one thing I don't like about the place I visit is they tell you if there's a problem you'll receive a text within 2 weeks, otherwise all is ok. I'd prefer it was the other way round, ie receive an "all clear text". I've never heard anything, but tend to phone them anyway just to check! Texts can go astray after all.

Seriously, there is nothing to be embarrassed about, you won't have anything they haven't seen before and as I said they were completely non judgmental. I go every 3 or 4 months, depending on how often I punt.

As you said yourself, you should go.

Edited by Burty
1 person likes this

What would be the more embarrassing?  Visiting a Gum or passing on an STI? 

Go visit one, the staff don't judge, they're usually very friendly and once you've been once you'll soom realise

there was nothing to worry about by going.   

If you're unfortunate and catch an STI and it's confirmed at the clinic  they'll still not judge you, they'lll just do what

they do best and help/advise/treat.

What would be the more embarrassing?  Visiting a Gum or passing on an STI? 

Go visit one, the staff don't judge, they're usually very friendly and once you've been once you'll soom realise

there was nothing to worry about by going.   

If you're unfortunate and catch an STI and it's confirmed at the clinic  they'll still not judge you, they'lll just do what

they do best and help/advise/treat.

Well it can be embarrassing. When I was younger a friends mother was a nurse at the local hospital clinic.